1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

What should i shoot?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by chris_1982, Aug 28, 2007.

1. chris_1982

chris_1982 Active Member

hi there, i pick up my repaired rifle in a few weeks but i've never shot one in my life. I intend to shoot at my local indoor target range but would like to shoot in my back garden. After reading some other threads it explains how shooting ply may cause the pellet to bounce back. What is the best alternative? I will be shooting without a scope at 10-15 meters. Thanks

2. topcat

topcat Post Whore

safety

i use 2 inch soft wood to put my target on and behind that is 2 paving slabs never had any probs but dont shoot at plywood its dangerous has a habit of bouncing straight back at you with dangerous force

3. AA Anonymous

AA Anonymous Well-Known Member

Be carefull what you shoot when i was younger i used to shoot at rubbish floating down the taff (my local river) when i spotted a 2L plastic pop bottle about 20 yards away i thought this would be a good one to sink but when i shot it the pellet came back and hit me in the cheak bone just below my right eye had a brused cheak and eye after that one.

4. David

David Engaging Member

Hi chris

I use a mound of earth as a backstop and a paving slab leveled to place various targets on, eg coke cans, CDs etc.

not only have you got to contend with pellets bouncing all over the place but also the noise that you get from a backstop being repeatedly hit by lead pellets

Good luck

David

5. the fox

the fox Member

I sometimes shoot ice its a pretty cool explosoin but i dont no about saftey!

6. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

Paving slabs make a good backstop. Hanging an old layer of carpet over the slabs makes for an effective sound deadener too. Depending on what you actually shoot at the pellets can bounce a considerable ways sideways and backwards too so using paving slabs to build an alcove to place targets inside is a good idea to stop pellets going astray.

7. TREV RYN

TREV RYN Active Member

ey up darren love welcome to the bestest ever forum:D:D:D

8. sharpshooterpete

sharpshooterpete Donator

i shot at hard ply before, it rebounded and hit me right between the eyes, didnt hurt as much as i thought it would though, i was just abit shocked.

9. chris_1982

chris_1982 Active Member

i've since repaired my gun and have a cork board, two pieces of 4mm mdf, a piece of 4mm ply then an old worktop, today i had a crosman accupell pellet come back at me in the chest from 10 metres, didnt hurt at all but shocked me! i checked the board and where i had shot it so much i blew a hole through to the hard worktop. I can see me getting through lots of wood! carpet does seem like the way to go.

10. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Hi Guys, I cast a block of lead about 12"x12"x2".
    Its not the quietest thing to shoot at but the pellets kind of "fuse" with it on impact.

11. Buzz

Buzz Banned

No wonder the price of scrap lead has shot up lately...you've got it all !!! By my rough calculations that has to weigh in at around 120 lbs.

12. AA Anonymous

AA Anonymous Well-Known Member

Yep weigh it in. last weekend i weighed in 20 kilo's which is bugger all to look at and got 18 quid it's £900 a ton down by me. :up: