1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

What should I get out of these two

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Welshdean, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Welshdean

Welshdean Well-Known Member

At the end of the month I'm going to be buying myself a brand new bsa r10 mk2 with the black tactical stock

im new to air rifle and also not exactly an amazing shot At the moment. I'm good but not brilliant.
    i would be using the rifle for the target ranges and also then be taking it to shoot small quarry.

I've only been familiar with .22 and I've been told by a few people that 1.77 are better because of the power to weight ratio.

but also.... Other people have to
    d me that .22 are better because of the stopping power.

i appreciate that this has been covered loads of times, but I can honestly say that I've not seen this exact air rifle compared in calibre. So based on my experience and what I aim to use the rifle for......

what at would you guys advise me to buy .177 or .22 ?

2. rattus

rattus Donator

first of all the r10 is a great choice of gun. as with 177 or 22 it's down to personal choice. if you want it for hunting and hft then personally I'd go for 177 as it has a flatter trajectory than 22. both calibres are good for pest control, its all down to shot placement.

3. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

4. surrey shooter

surrey shooter Donator

Nice air rifle is r10, for years I have been .22 but recently used .177 and I like it.

I have been using my ultra se .177 for ratting and no problems with dispatching them or rabbits. But as said, what ever cal you use its good shot placement and your quary is going no where. Atb
    Ss

5. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    i would get .177, and if it's used for hunting, then use a heavy pellet - better trajectory than .22, but with nearly the same stopping power. if you get .177, you may find that the barrel prefers the heavier pellet anyway. BTW, great choice of rifle.

6. metalman

metalman Big Poster

Which ever choice, give the barrel a good pull through to start with

7. Mattfranc96

Mattfranc96 Active Member

I used to be a .22 man. Tried .177 and never looked back. What you lose in kinetic energy you gain in accuracy. I try to compromise by using .177 with a heavy pellet like Bisley Magnums. Personally I found I was a better shot with the .177 and therefore more likely to have a nice clean dispatch even without the heavy wack of the .22. If you can, try both calibre's at range and see what suits you best. Everyone is different and some just can't get on with the smaller calibre.

8. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

accuracy is the same, hold over is easier to judge as you have a larger margin of error.

i would say judging by your use of the r-10 than .177 would suite your needs more.

9. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

If I could turn back the clock I would have both an r10 and Ultra in .177, simply because of the flatter trajectory and also because the pellets are slightly cheaper!

10. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

.177 all the way mate ...and r10 is a lovely gun

11. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

What calibre you choose is really down to you, many new shooters go for .177 as .22 requires a fair bit more skill to shoot, however if you master shooting in .22 it's much more rewarding.

As for an R10, again it's your money etc, i wouldn't buy one new, they're not all that out of the box, and by time you've spent the money on it to get it to a presentable state, you'd be better buying something decent.

If you really must have an R10, buy a used one, then have it blueprinted, do a research on the R10, not just here but throughout the net and you'll get the picture.

;)

12. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

:up:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  13. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Actually buying a secondhand one and getting it blueprinted by John Bowkett is a good idea, as then you will have an idea which pellet works best in your R10.

The money you save on purchasing a new one will allow you to get the blueprint, which then replaces the BSA 2 year warranty with one that lasts a lifetime! Also the improvements will mean it is a much better gun (could not believe the difference in my Super 10 which was super before JB tuned it, now it is the Superb 10)!

If buying a nice shiny new one, the two probable best pellets are Crosman Premier Ultra Magnum (10.5 grain) or Defiant Ogive 4.52m (11 grain). Both of which are the best performing pellet in my Superb 10!

Oh and recently there has been a batch of Mk 2 R10s that were doing damned good impressions of Mk 1 R10s as regards regulator reliability....

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  14. ratharvester

ratharvester Donator

I'm not against a balanced opinion but everytime r10 is mentioned, boom! Negativity it's so predictable it's boring.if you get a new one see how it goes,if further on down the road your not 100% happy with its performance save up and let Darrin or jb work their magic,it ain't rocket science :)

15. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

With certainty every model of gun ever bought out on the market has issues with quality control, quirky faults and niggles, we don't hear about them as many owners are too embarrassed to admit that they bought a lemon!

Once sorted and sometimes after a few trips back to the factory, they then go on to paint a beautiful picture of reliability and accuracy about their chosen gun and ferociously guard the secrets they harbour about it should it ever come back to haunt them by hitting them in the pocket when trying to sell it!

I prefer the totally transparent approach... my r10 had problems, they were sorted and if I ever need to sell it I and any potential buyer knows I've been honest and open about it's past failings!

16. milek

milek Honorary Member

My two R-10's (MK2) were everything I needed a rifle to be. Accurate & reliable. No issues, no faults. I regret selling them but you always want to try something else. I have the Ripley and a HW100 and 22 other guns in 20 months and the one I really miss is the R-10. I'll have another right out of the box.

17. Snipertez

Snipertez Donator

For most (it seems) this is unfortunate :rolleyes:

There are many tuners ready to work on r10's to improve/fix them and there are many for one good reason ?

Negative or realistic, , , the truth is still the truth. And l'm another person whom wanted the r10 to be the gun it could/should have been, well two years ago anyhoo :confused:

18. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

i think they handle nicer out the box (probably in vc form more so) then having a stock made for them. i liked there trigger too, but im a bluing/gloss junkie ;)
    we're the same, i've had 22+ in about 28months and i rate a few of what i've sold, the rapid for instance, not sure if its a stayer or go-er, that could be another r-10 contender if the OP has not decided on the gun yet.

atvb
    regards

19. ratharvester

ratharvester Donator

:up: Nobody's wrong and everybody certainly can have an opinion good or bad it's a free country,yes I agree there is no smoke without fire but we must not tar every r10 with the same brush,and Steve k I have shot air rifles and shottys for 30 years +,so I imagine I have a little bit of knowledge:) admittedly not as much as many of the fine ladies and gentlemen on this friendly ,helpful and fun forum.

20. milek

milek Honorary Member

The query was around caliber if I recall. If the op took your advice and did a search he would find every R-10 thread with you preaching your same old boring message. Very little of your self proclaimed airguning experience comes out as you centralise on the negativity of a rifle. Bore away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.