1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

what magnification do you use for huntig

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by topcat, Oct 7, 2007.

1. topcat

topcat Posting Addict

well ill start the ball rolling has i use 20times used to be the opposite way at one time but find 20 times makes the job easier

2. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Well in the rare case that I am actually 'hunting' a.k.a. waiting for a rat to run past I use between 4 and 6 times, I find that's best when I'm at short or medium range from the target.

3. AA Anonymous

AA Anonymous Well-Known Member

20X are you shooting at targets on the moon :D
    I use 4X up to 30 yards i would use 3X if i had bought a scope with a magnification that went that low because 4X starts to get a bit blurred below 10 yards and maybe 5 or 6x on the rare occasion i go over 30 yards. :up:

4. dom

dom Engaging Member

i use 4 most of the time very rarely turn to 6

5. andy s410c

andy s410c Active Member

What mag?

Mostly x8 lowest mag on my scope is x6.5 sometimes used when lamping due to getting a bit closer to bugs :Rock On:

6. topcat

topcat Posting Addict

i no it sounds rather high but it works for me been using it like that for 7 years now set my parralax for where the scopes zeroed in 40 yards with my s type and you can pick your spot where you are aiming more easiely try it you might get a pleasant surprise

7. chiz

chiz Engaging Member

I have mine set at about 3 - 4 for my usual location as I tend to get quite close to the rabbits and wood pigeons there.

Might step up to 6 - 7 for when I'm hiding and observing.

Rarely use 8 - 9 unless I'm going for a long, open field shot.

8. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

I use 9 and that's only in the back garden 20 yards, sometimes i feel like i could do with more mag. :D

9. chiz

chiz Engaging Member

I'm going for some right big sights for my new rifle, the set i have already is brilliant even though it's only 3-9x40, but I've been advised to go for something with more mag and a bigger sight picture.

10. HAWKEYE

HAWKEYE Banned

In the day i use x8,my night sight is set at x5

11. colinb

colinb Well-Known Member

12 mag on my s200 .177 cal - paralax set at thirty yards suits me fine:)
    3mag on my supersport .25 cal paralax set at twenty yards (my ratter)

12. sharpshooterpete

sharpshooterpete Donator

i use 6mag and always have, suits me just fine. i have a 3-9x40MAP i only use 3 and 4 mag when shooting at targets in my garden. the only time i use 9 mag is when im just having abit of a target session, i have it on 6mag when shooting and instead of getting up and checking the target i just zoom in and check from where i am. i may seem lazy but save walking 60 yards every shot.

pete.

13. Cove

Cove Engaging Member

Hi,
    I normally use 8x for hunting.However as I like my first mil-dot or stadia line on the ret to come in at fifty yards(my max.hunting distance),and the Bushnell scopes I've switched to have wider spacings between dots,I'm going to give 12x a try.
    Chris.

14. Ntee

Ntee Member

Ntee

I use 4x under 10yds 10x up to 125yds and the 5x beyond that up to 200yds.:)

15. littlescoot

littlescoot Well-Known Member

i use 4 to 5 mag when hunting, but never really adjust from that as im never shooting further then 50 yards, but when lamping i recomend 5-6 mag, provides that little better of a picture in the dark

16. claretcass

claretcass Member

I use 4x up to about 60 metres
    6x up to 120 metres
    S&B Zenith flashdot 1.5-6x42

17. ratpellet

ratpellet Member

i find 4x -6x best for standing /kneeling shots and 9x perfect for shooting from a rest when you can really hold the rifle steady
    3-9x40 leupold

18. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

i use 6x mag because it gets the best magnification without needing lots of light to come through.

19. writingame

writingame Newbie

that sounds like a good setup mate. How far is the .25 effective to for the rats???

20. writingame

writingame Newbie

sorry went off topic there.
    I use 4x duplex for hunting(rabbits)

I once had a massive mag(6-24) but just found it too big and clumsy, i am also more accurate with lower mag:confused: and also its good for scanning.

I reckon fixed mag is prob best unless you are willing to spend decent money