1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

What gun's can be owned on a FAC

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by ovy4213, Feb 12, 2012.

1. ovy4213

ovy4213 Pro Poster

Hey
    in just over a year im going to be done with university and want to get more into shooting when I have more money to put towards it.
    I have been shooting air rifles from age 16, and shotguns (through a university society) for a year and a half now. I would have applied for a Shotgun owners certificate as I am a member of my local club, go once a week, and I am a member of the CPSA, but as im renting a property and now owning I can't keep the shotguns here, and the land lord would be a bit angry if a screwed a metal gun safe onto there wall.
    But I am much more into shooting rifles than shotguns, so wish to apply for my FAC when I have finished with university and get my own place, but I am unsure which guns I can get on a FAC.
    All I know is:
    1) No pistols (including air pistols shooting over 6ftlb) except black powder muzzle loading pistols
    2) no burst fire or fully automatic rifles
    But are you restricted on caliber or shooting range of the rifles?
    I would love to own a M1 Grand, but I know they are rather powerful, but due to the general age of them, most from WW2, they are coming up to being old enough to be classed as antiques.
    I would like to own a .22 rimfire like the rugger 10/22 which if I understand correctly, rim fire rifles are one of the most common owned rifles on a FAC so are not to hard to apply for and get a hold of.
    Can anybody help?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. Oryctolagus

Oryctolagus Posting Addict

It's a tad more complicated than that. There are two ways I can think of. Either join a rifle club or require one for hunting.

3. Oilysean

Oilysean Very Active

As above, you don't have a right to own a firearm's licence unlike a shotgun licence. So you need more reason to own one rather then just, I fancy getting one. You need to have hunting grounds cleared for your selected caliber. You need to have just reason to have said firearm. and You need to pass your application and interview.

Best person to ask would be Kyska to be honest.

4. ovy4213

ovy4213 Pro Poster

This is going to be a few more years from now, I will be buying my own land and joining clubs, I am just living in london at the moment but im moving back to the north east after uni.
    I wont be applying for a licence till I have a reason to do so, but I mealy want to know if you are restricted on rifle caliber or range of the gun. Or if you can get any power rifle with any distance range on it, as long as you have the land to accommodate it.

5. Dan Giliballs

Dan Giliballs Dave Boy Green ate my Trifle!!!!

First of all an M1 Garande is not prohibited due to it's power, you can't have one because it's a semi auto, as far as firearms go .22 rimfire semi auto is all you can have. If they do a straight pull version then that is allowed

You can own more powerful calibers that wht the M1 Garande chuck's out (30-06)

You won't be granted an FAC on the basis of a .22 rimfire is easier to get that other calibers, it just so happens most FAC users tend to cut their teeth on .22 rimfire and a lot of police forces want you to demonstrate your safety ability and deem that the caliber of choice, personally I think it's one of the most dangerous rounds out there

you get one granted in one of two ways, either join a club and when your probationary period is over apply for stupidly large calibers like .44 magnum .300 winmag etc etc and you'll get them. or, if you are a land shooter then you need to demonstrate you have the required land to shoot the rifle on, get a .22 then progress up through the ranks, you caliber will then be specific to the land you shoot and to the quarry. Once your ticket is open then you get to decide what caliber is suitable for what land

6. Pinpoint

Pinpoint Posting Addict

Why is that?

7. Oilysean

Oilysean Very Active

ricochets?

8. Dan Giliballs

correctomundo!

9. Size12

Size12 Busy Member

What makes the .22 lr round more susceptible than other calibers?

10. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

relatively low velocity combined with weight of projectile means it just tends to squash/flatten and bounce yet retain its integrity/mass/energy rather than disintegrate/splash like the higher velocity rounds you get

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  11. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

something like that anyway.... in short if your not careful about your back drop you could have the round coming back in your face or arcing over a hedge into cars, walkers, livestock ect

12. Size12

Size12 Busy Member

I thought that must have been the reason but wasnt sure. Thanks for clearing that up.

13. DougR

DougR Busy Member

Not Semi Auto
    [​IMG]

14. Dan Giliballs

May an issue with backstops on that one, as in half a dozen shells will destroy any you had n the first place

15. mikemjm

mikemjm Donator

Join the Infantry TA or Reg, and get to shoot 5.56mm, 9mm, Shotgun, 7.62 and .50. The only draw back is that the targets might shoot back and they hide IEDs in the sand.

Seriously mate if you like shooting that much and want to shoot big cals in semi auto or auto have a think about the forces.

16. Tailormadefun

Tailormadefun Busy Member

or go and live in germany and join a club, my uncle lives there and has an awesome amount of weaponry, i even got to fire true HV ammo from a israeli forces MP5, awesome!

17. ovy4213

ovy4213 Pro Poster

well after completing my degree in biomedicine I am doing another in medicine, sponsored by the army (if I pass physical fitness tests etc) and since they pay for my degree I must do 5 years service with them. So may be getting my hands on some larger guns after all.