1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question What Gun Torch

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by arrybash, Jun 8, 2014.

1. arrybash

arrybash Engaging Member

What stand alone gun torch do you recommend.

2. GIRLYPANTS

GIRLYPANTS Banned

when i need the aid of a torch a p7 does the job for me

3. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Pm terry1001,

he's the very fellow for torches:)

4. jay5488

jay5488 Donator

I've got one of Terry's torches and they're beasty!!! Mine is a ultrafire with a red led, rats don't even notice the light on a flood beam!!!

5. jay5488

jay5488 Donator

A few pics......
    Spot
    [​IMG]

Flood
    [​IMG]

6. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

It does depend on what you want to do, is it night vision or lamping and what range do you want to be able to spot targets.
    A red led is probably the best starting out type, this link http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/177909-Infra-red-and-visible-red-torches-for-sale will give you an idea of the torches I can offer. I only use the best leds available and fit them to torch bodies which I have modified to improve the heat dissipation.
    The red leds, either with a single power or 3 power driver, will cover everything from close range rats out to rimfire range rabbits etc. They are also ideal for finding your way around in the dark without ruining your night vision. Torches with coloured leds are much brighter and more effective than using colour filters on a white torch and the zoom type allow you to vary the intensity of light and to match the beam spread to your scope field of view.

7. arrybash

arrybash Engaging Member

To be honest its more of a contingency in case we stay late when out rabbiting and it gets dark. No plans to shoot rats.

I would rather have a standard white LED torch which I can then also use as a normal torch. From my initial resarch a normal LED torch is not that expensive but there are dozens to choose from and I would rather pay more now and get something decent than some piece of junk.

I was looking at the Tracer LedRay Tactical 800 at £120. However this seem very expensive for an LED torch with a few accessories.

Hence can anybody point me in the direction of a good white off the shelf LED torch say about 450 lumens (as per the LedRay 800) that I can buy a mount and fit to the scope.

Thanks

Chris

8. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

You're not likely to have much success shooting rabbits with a white light, you may get one or two at first but they will soom wise up. Unless you really want to spend a load of money you might just as well get one from ebay with a battery and charger which will be brighter than the Tracer and cost about £15 all in. You can sometimes get them with cheap mounts as well if you have a browse around, I prefer to use weaver scope mounts but for that you need a piece of weaver rail fixed to your scope which is fairly simple to do.

9. arrybash

arrybash Engaging Member

Ok seems like I need a red LED torch then for hunting. Again looking about on fleabay you can actually buy torches with red beams ready to go e.g. Ultrafire 501b. Seems cheap enough but I don't think it has an adjustable zoom. Is an adjustable zoom essential? Is this torch likley to be any good? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UltraFire...0279990552&hash=item43c8abc327#ht_2112wt_1161

I know you can buy red LED bulbs but can the bulbs be simply changed in these torches or is it a resolder job?

Thanks

Chris

10. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

You will do OK with one of these for a tenner: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultrafire...ing_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item51be2ea031

The batteries aren't as advertised - more like 900mA, & the torch is probably closer to 800lumens than 1600 - but for a tenner?

Have a look around on the 'Bay, you can get similar with a red LED, it's true rabbits get spooked very quickly by a white light at first they don't bother but they soon learn.

11. arrybash

arrybash Engaging Member

I thought of this model, but is it zoomable. Can you change the bulb in these or are they fixed?

12. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

A zoom allows you to adjust the light intensity to suit the range at which you're shooting, it's not essential but it certainly does help. The 501b series of torches will take replaceable 'drop ins' to change colour and you can also fit aspheric lenses to them to increase the range but that makes the light much brighter at close range and won't fill your scope view at lower magnification as this type of torch does not have a zoom.
    The 501 suits fixed mag scopes and does work well with the Photon especially if it is fitted with a lower powered ir led, for general air rifle (and rimfire) shooting I think that the zoom torches are more adaptable and that's what I use. I don't bother changing pills for different colours, it's easier to have separate torches, and I have them ready to fit with the mounts attached so that they can be changed in seconds if I go from lamping to night vision.

13. arrybash

arrybash Engaging Member

Terry, what make and model of zoomable torch do you recommend. What make and model of torch mounts do you recommend?

Thanks

Chris

14. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

To get a weaver rail on the scope I suggest something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-30mm-25...Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item1e86f56ca2 or, if you don't mind something sticking off the scope http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Barrel-Mo...Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item1e8c93b9ea or you can get scope rings which have the weaver rail fitted as part of the top ring. The torch is fitted using a single weaver base scope mount or can be fitted using the figure 8 clamp above.
    For a torch I suggest one of my mods, http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/177909-Infra-red-and-visible-red-torches-for-sale. They come in 2 different sizes, the slightly fatter one will also take the longer lasting 26650 batteries as well as the 18650 or 3xAAA and with single or 3 mode drivers. I also have the various mounts as listed above to suit but I don't supply the batteries.
    Send me a message if you want more details or information.

15. arrybash

arrybash Engaging Member

Terry,

I have been doing plenty of research this evening and the Olight seems to be a decent torch. I was thinking of an M21X-L2 http://www.olightworld.co.uk/olight-m21x-l2-warrior.html. Quality red filters and pressure switches are also available. What do you think of it?

Thanks for the idea of the weaver rail mount. I hadn't spotted this as the way forward.

Chris

16. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, when i got back into air rifle shooting some years ago i was not on the forum, i had a friends farm shooting mainly rats and there were loads so i started with bodgy lamp and hand held n/v oh and a ratty pistol thing. then i progressed to a s/h lamp with red filter and heavy battery fix to the pistol. i had a springer for rabbits. so then i checked out what other rat shooters were using so got into pcp with a falcon and pump and quite an expensive torch with red filter. then i joined forum and it changed the way i now rat shoot with a red torch, for the price of that original torch now defunct i have 4 cree torches 501b 2x red led 1 x I/R 1x white, the red and i/r fitted with thumb switch and aspheric lens, about 12 cr123a 2 chargers so i never run out of battery time. although i have a proper n/v scope i still use the torchy set ups but would not have been as good without forum member ideas/advice/ help/ having seen and tried a terry torch it is a good buy as all modded and ready to go, but i wish i had joined the forum before i bought any air weapons etc as would have altered choice of what to use and defo saved money

17. jay5488

jay5488 Donator

Don't get a torch with filters!!! You block out most of the light......

18. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

I've ordered a stack of O Light stuff over the years - for fire fighters, search & rescue & spark proof kit for oil & gas plant operators, though it was a while back - does anyone remember when a Xenon bulb was the pups nuts?
    It's good equipment, well made, designed to be serviced & repaired & very reliable - it's definitely designed for grown ups who are serious about seeing in the dark, but you do pay for the privilege.
    The thing is, for the price of a M21 O Light you could get at least 6 cheapo Chinese jobbies off the bay.
    Lighting LED technology just keeps getting better & better, a bit like computers so in a couple of years your torch will be obsolete by the current market standards. It depends how you feel about that really - it will still light things up just as well.

19. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I can't see the point in paying that sort of money for a torch (however well made) like that. I'm sure that it's good quality but it won't do the job any better than a lot of the cheap ones and a torch is more likely to be lost or damaged sooner than wear out.
    Adding filters to get coloured light results in poor performance and it's another cost to be added and from my experience years ago with maglites the things get lost very easily.
    I'm also not very keen on pressure switches as most of those which are easily obtainable have poor quality switches in them which aren't designed or intended to carry any amount of current and they soon become unreliable. I have built a couple but they are nowhere near as neat as the nice flat ones as seen on ebay but mine can carry the current. A lot does depend upon your hunting style so there's no , single definitive answer on this.
    Since I have plenty of torches my situation is not typical but I much prefer to have separate torches for each use whether it's for shooting, around the house or in the car. Those that I use on a rifle have the weaver mounts and can be swapped around in seconds as needed.
    One thing that's not been made clear in my sales post, and I will add it, is that the prices assume a single torch purchase and include the cost of recorded post and packaging. Additional items are supplied at lower cost and if someone wanted a white (unmodified) torch at the same time then they are quite cheap, I just can't do them at Chinese ebay prices especially with the cost of postage.
    I'm always happy to advise on specifics and give price options once I know what you want and what it's to be fitted to as the fitting options vary according to your rifle/scope etc.

20. arrybash

arrybash Engaging Member

Thanks for all the guidance. Opted for an LED Lenser T7.2 from Torch Direct http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/professional-torches/led-lenser-t72-320-lumen.html. It has a focus feature, which I understand very few other torches have and therefore assume it will be better for suited on the gun. Also I got the pressure switche, gun mounts and colour filters.

Top notch quality torch.

Thanks

Chris