1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

What drives a kid to suicide ?

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by andyh, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andyh

andyh Engaging Member

I really had a shock tuesday, a lady I've known only a couple of days, just started working for my mate in his office, very pleasant and around mid 40's went on holiday with some of my mates as a firms weekend beano. They hadn't long arrived at the camp site when my mate heard her screaming. She had had a phone call from home telling her that her 19 year old daughter had committed suicide. Apparently took an overdose and suffocated herself. That's exactly what she did.
    I just don't understand what on earth could drive a young girl to such a thing. It also turns out that my brothers daughters cousin was best mates with this girl and it seems that there was absolutely no idea she was so desperate.
    Sorry to be morbid guys, I'm just numb that such a thing is becoming so common. Just what is going on in the minds of these kids ?

2. halight

halight Busy Member

Sorry to hear about that mate. I dont have a clue why a young woman would de that but she must have been really desprat to do it

3. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

maby its exams :frusty:

on a more serious note, i cant see the logic in it.
    mental health i guess, something has to drive you crazy or you get brain washed like this emo stuff where peope comimit self harm till one day it goes too far.
    the bully victims become manicaly depresed and then they top them selves.

i think its to do with peoples mental state, or they dont have one:confused:

4. topcat

topcat Posting Addict

I think theres to much pressure on kids these days . the way you look . the way you dress . can they find a job etc .how skiny they are how pretty they are leads to depresion and in some cases these poor kids commit suicide . more help and understanding is needed by every one . people say suicide is a cowards way out i think it takes a brave person or severly disturbt person to commit suicide

5. andyh

andyh Engaging Member

My knowledge of the person who killed themself is that there was absoutely no reason to think that suicide was even in their mind. It appears the person was "normal", no inclanation of wanting to self harm. Just an absolute waste of a life. I couldn't agree more about the pressures on youngsters about clothes, money etc, I think that society has to take a large part of the responsibility, too many parents having to work full time jobs just to buy a house and make ends meet, to many latch key kids coming home to no parents to welcome them in, got to have a new car, bmw merc top of the street cred list. There just seems to me that there is not enough time for family time because of the way people have to work themselves into the groung at the expense of their children's welfare.
    I know of a single mum who was being harrased by the job center to return to work when her child was about 11 years old. She said what about my child coming home to an empty house if she was to work, reply from job center get a child minder. What a pointless exercise that is.
    At the expense of children coming home to empty houses after school, does it mean that there is very little quality time for family ? Do the children, young people then not have the confidence to talk heart to heart with parents about growing up issues ? Is this the root of the problem, more likely than not from what I see.
    I could always talk to my mum rather than my dad, at least I had that opportunity, maybe the opportunity is being denied to kids who's parents are always working.
    It's just tragic that this has happened along with all the recent killings of innocents by the knife culture that surrounds society now.
    Unless we show love to our kids and really talk openly and let them know that they can talk to us parents without fear of us going off on one, then we can help them with the problems of modern society. I also think the government have to take a lot of the blame and the people who are willing o force housing costs to such extortionate prices.
    Thanks for taking time to reply to such a hard topic guys
    Sincerely
    andyh

6. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

there is quite a bit of presure on kids, its just some deal with it better than others.
    if someone calls me a "fasion reject" (whatever that is) its just water off a ducks back....whats wrong with socks and sandals anyway.

the stress of exams and school and whatever i get rif off with the shooting and sailing, not that i get stressed i'm as cool ans anything when it comes to it, im one of them i'll do it later people and finnish it last second.
    normally my last second work is really good if i do say so myslef

money wise, apart from super expensive sailing bits and a T10 that seems just out of reach i will be working over summer to get those things

7. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

If there's ever a thread to make jokes in this isn't it, she probably had no friends, or really bad trouble with a boyfriend or something like that. Still, seems a little extreme ... sorry to hear about that.

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  8. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

thinking about it twice it wouldnt suprise me if the stress of exams or being bullied because of having a high mark and being called a swot or nerd and so on could tip some people over the edge.
    its normally a number of things that make people go over the edge and exams could easily be one of em:shrug:

9. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

What you get down when someone calls you a "boffin", lol, you take all that on the chin, however bullying could be a factor, if it's serious, would have to be pretty bad to drive someone to suicide though :eek:

When it comes to exams, everyone's different, some people get REALLY stressed, they pull their hair out, then there are people like me who just try and keep relaxed about it all, maybe a little too relaxed.

It's sad to see someone leave at 19, there's so much left, but it's an "escape" for someone who doesn't enjoy any minute of life.

10. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

i cant see it as an escape....i dont believe in that heave and hell malarky so i dont know if death is anyway to get out of something. :shrug:

well this is morbid, is this airgunforum or emoforum?:rolleyes:

11. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Well whatever happens after death puts a stop to what someone's going through, don't you think :confused: even if it's nothing, they see it as being an end to their suffering.

p.s. I don't believe in heaven and hell either, but I try not to knock it just in case ;)

12. sharpshooterpete

sharpshooterpete Donator

sorry to hear that mate. We will never know why people want to commit suicide because we never know what goes on in their lives. it could be a list of many things, my thoughts go out to her family, must be such a terrible thing to deal with.

13. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

[video=youtube;NTt7eCq02hM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTt7eCq02hM[/video]

14. andyh

andyh Engaging Member

Very apt a1, time to close this thread I think Andy, life's to short to dwell on the negatives, I only hope none of us ever get to the stage where taking our own life is the only solution to our problems.
    AMEN

15. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Yeah hugs go out to the family, I'll close this, we'll leave it here :up:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.