1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Question What do you do when you go out shooting but don't shoot ?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by 177, Sep 12, 2014.

1. 177

177 Donator

There isn't a punchline...

Last week I went out shooting one evening and never took a shot. I did pick almost 18 pounds of blackberries though :D

One of my permissions is on a river bank where I fish now and then - sometimes I go out with the rifle and end up cutting willows back on one or two pools or dragging weed out, depending on growth.

Keeping in mind this is a family friendly forum :rolleyes: do any of you end up going out shooting and doing something else instead ?

2. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

Just watching the wildlife sometimes, as discussed in the Buzzard thread

3. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

I would say that most of the time I go out in my van I've got a gun and the dog. But I often just end up walking the dog but have the gun with me.

Not to shoot but it just feels right.

Andrew

4. bunnyblatter

bunnyblatter Pro Poster

Sometimes we just wander about chatting and laughing.
    It's just good to be out

5. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned BANNED

As above and if it's very quiet quarry wise we have little shooting competitions between ourselves

6. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

I'm similar, if I go over to the farm for any reason I almost always take a gun with me, walking the dog, checking gates, footpath routes and so on.

7. jw74

jw74 Posting Addict

I just enjoy the scenery and piece and quiet.I like to have time to not think!

8. Big Uli

Big Uli Donator

I once had a sleep leaving back against a tree with my gun across my lap
    It was dark after all :D

9. chevin

chevin Keyboard Hero

Enjoy the sounds and smells of the countryside, and think how lucky I am to have my perm.
    ATB.

10. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned BANNED

I often lay waiting for my shots thinking, what shill I buy next to improve my hobby. But like someone has already pointed out, just watching mother nature and the changing seasons is a joy. KB1

11. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Chatting to my mates having banter but if out by myself I watch wild life or/and also come on here if I have 3G :D

12. mark112

mark112 Engaging Member

Sometime go shooting just to get out of the way of 'er indoors'. Got home on the odd occasion to hear the comment "you didn't even take a gun!". Nice to just help on the perm with this and that. After going to one farm for 30+ years I now do virtually all the mechanical maintenance required plus help with combining, driving tractors, potato picking etc. Helping out has the side effect that you will be introduced possibly to other farmers. At one point I had seven perms that I could visit freely just through word of mouth. Sometimes just sit in the woods watching the world go by. Had deer walk past me no more than 5 feet away and haven't noticed I was there. Had birds perched on the end of my rifle and even had a rabbit sat on my foot once (no I didn't shoot it).

13. chevin

chevin Keyboard Hero

Good point Kermitboy autumn for me just love it.

14. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

If there's nowt about,

a nice snooze under a tree

15. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

I've described my shooting as "armed rambling" for years. Things have come to a head now as the mrs wants some rabbits as we're heading toward peak foraging season. I was gonna go out tonight, but I've only just finished a new project (Jason, it works a treat!;))

Looks like I may have to actually kill something soon........:eek:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  16. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

I know it contradicts the thread,

but If I go out hunting and nothing is happening I constantly plink picking out little berries, or stones on the edge of the river, setting little tasks to myself like I estimate that to be ?? so many yards and two milldots then take the shot like it was my last.

That's the bonus of airguns, you can be plinking away with a silenced pcp and quarry will still arrive when you least expect it, plus it keeps you sharp.

I make a promise to myself to never return home with a gun unless its down to 100 bar, apart from the Rapid as it gets expensive on pellets with about 180 shots on tap, but the hw100 and Regal always get run down to 100.

17. harry brown

harry brown Banned BANNED

Sometimes I go out working and end up shooting...Or the other way round?

Today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Actually the two go hand in hand. The shooting perm got me this work which in turn got me this wood and another two perms. Plus some more to take a look at soon.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  18. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

At the moment I like to rob the hedgerows. It's been a good year and best of all loads and loads of Kent cobnuts.

Other times I like to chop firewood, in fact I sometimes start chopping wood and don't stop to bother with the gun.

19. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

I quite often check fences and hedges for damage, watch badgers forage, try to squeak owls in, and generally feel chuffed about living in the arse end of nowhere. I also check the livestock and breathe deeply, as there's nothing like the smell of the countryside in late summer and early autumn.

20. Seamaster

Seamaster Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

That's exactly what I would have said if Jackroadkill hadn't beaten me to it.
    We are lucky aren't we?

Chris