1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Question what do i need to go shooting or hunting???

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by jammy1992, Feb 29, 2012.

1. jammy1992

jammy1992 Active Member

ive been doing alot of research into what i need but i am still unsure can anoyone help with:
    do i need to apply for a general licence and what can i shoot and under what circumstances?
    whats the best type of insurance to have? i know its not needed but id like to have it just incase?
    whats the best way to approach people to ask for permission to shoot?

any help would be much appreciated

2. Mike1

Mike1 Well-Known Member

Assuming that you have the equipment, the most important thing that you need will be the ability to shoot a target accurately and that requires practice. Once you have the expertise to shoot at least 5 consequetive shots in a 20mm or smaller target at all distances then you should have the confidence to write to landowners for permission to shoot. In addition you will also need to develop hunting skills and have various camouflage equipment. There are examples of letters on some of the forums and also Hunting associations. The general licence apply's to all shooters and you should read up on that. Details are again on many sites, as is insurance try here: http://www.basc.org.uk/

3. banger12

banger12 Engaging Member

you dont apply for a general licence, the term is missleading, it really means no licence required, the most important thing is ti get permission from the farmer, dont go with any weapons, go smart casual, not camo, try to appear you know what your doing, not like some enthusiastic newby with a rifle.. just be cool about it, like you dont care too much if he says no..
    cheers rob

4. milek

milek Honorary Member

More importantly you need to be fully aware of what you can shoot so perhaps the BASC website. When you know what you want to shoot all your other questions can be answered in more detail.

5. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Starting Out in Airgunning![/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif](Or how to get all you need for under £300).[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Right you are reading this, so a little bug is already nibbling at you, but all you can see is reviews of expensive guns, expensive camo suits, pop up hides that cost a fortune, scopes that can see everything short of Neil Armstrong's footprints on the moon and lamps that can pick up a Heinkel at 3 miles. Not what you actually need to get started, a sensible gun, sensible camouflage, a hide, yes really, a lamp, scope, ammunition, a whole set up including insurance can be yours for under £300![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]What do you really need to go hunting, safe in the knowledge that the gear you have is perfectly capable of performing the job required? Well the first and most important thing to buy is a gun. What gun though? There are many about in the sub £100 region, but very few that will work straight from the box, a couple that stand out are the Hatsan 55 and 60 S models. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]A delight to own, a bit weighty, but they have a lovely two stage trigger, low recoil and have a lovely bit of Walnut as well. These are reliable guns, I owned one for over three years and only sold it because I suffer from Tendonitis. They can be bought new for under £100. They have Tru Glo optic sights on, so can be used out of the box, but for better results you do need a scope and mounts. The springs are made from an advanced alloy, giving consistent power delivery, the gun has a built in recoil absorbing system, but there is still a little to let you know it is spring powered, looks beautiful and has an additional safety feature, an anti-bear trap system. This means you cannot fire the gun when it is broken for reloading, amazing how many guns get written off that way![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Hawke do a nice 3-9x40 with Mil Dot reticule (HK3008), you can pick these up for the £40 mark. A set of mounts will cost you £12 for a set of medium height by Hawke. That is £152 spent so far. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Pellets, one make I recommend above all others are Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums, good quality, made in the USA and less than £10 per tin of 500 pellets. They have good energy transference as well! To zero the sight up it helps to have a pellet trap and some targets, you can pick these up from about £10 and some paper targets cost about £5 for 100. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]OK, we have so far spent £177, next up, cover, all sorts of cover. Of both a physical and legal definition. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Insurance, not essential but desirable and should you shoot something or someone you will be glad of it! You are an air gunner, you do not need to pay for preservation of marshland, wetland, shore, deer hunting forests, grouse moors etc. You want to pay for technical help and legal advice as well as £2,500,000 of third party cover. All I can recommend is the British Airgun Shooting Association, under £20 gives you what you need. Saves cash![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Now cover for you, how about a nice shelter, can be used as a hide, is camouflaged, plenty of room for one shooter and their gear, food, copies of magazines for reading whilst the weather is inclement. Can be put up by one person in under 5 seconds and staked down in less than 30 (idea is erect get it erected – oo err missus, bung all the gear in and stake down), want one, Sainsbury's online, a smidge under £28! So far £225 spent.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Camo for you! What you need is something cheap, shower proof, warm in winter and cool in summer. Might I interest you in the humble NBC (Nuclear Biologiclal Chemical) suit. These are available on Ebay for £16.50 for 2 jackets and 2 trousers. Remove the charcoal liner from one suit to make a set of lightweight summer camo and leave in for a set of winter camo.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]So now we have you covered, armed, scoped and with a hide, spend so far is £241.50, all we have left to figure out is how to see at night, no this does not involve carrots. Time for a lamp![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Tesco online do a superb Cree LED torch, 120 lumens, built in dimmer (down to 10% and focusable beam), so you can flood an area or have a searchlight, cost, wait for it, £25! Yes, only £25, takes 2 x AA batteries, gives about 7 hours running time, easily changed in the field, damned good torch as well![/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]To hold it on a simple clamp affair will do, available from most gunshops for around the £12 mark![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]So all in all a total spend of £278.50, you have weapon, ammunition, camouflage, hide, lamp, insurance and you are now ready to start practising for the great outdoors! Enough left over for some batteries, sandwiches and a few copies of something to read![/FONT]

6. Irvysan

Irvysan Posting Addict

Fantastic post mr mole :up:

This 'hide' from sainsburys? Can you link to it please, or is it a Wendy house? :p

Irv

7. Jack

Jack Big Poster

Yeh im curious toooo. I spend alot of time paper punching in my ladies fathers field and if its raining I like this idea?

Apparently I should turn this tappatalk shiz off.

8. secretagentmole

9. secretagentmole

These are brilliant, take out of bag, instant tent. Put kit in the open door (always has to be packed with the door open), stake down, and there you go! Instant shelter, pretty good on water resistance too, been in some heavy downpours with only minimal seam ingress (could have been due to the fact the tent had never been in a downpour before)!

There you go, prone camo hide! In the summer these usually crop up around the £30 mark, our first one cost us under £20 when Argos had a bit of a clear out! Got another one in case we wee hundreds of yards apart and a typical British summer ensued, they literally go up in seconds, pack in under a minute if you practise enough!

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  10. banger12

banger12 Engaging Member

i think my post was better :D

11. Irvysan

Irvysan Posting Addict

Yes very informative rob :D

12. Freddie8585

Freddie8585 Member

The best advise I can give is get yourself insured with one of the following, it's not necessary but it will help cover you and make people more likely to allow you to shoot on their land. They are all different prices and have different benifits so check out what suits you.

- BASC
    - BASA
    - National gamekeepers association

Join your local range, borrow a gun and learn how to shoot to a good standard, this will also give you chance to have a go with other peoples guns and see what you like, you need to be a good shot before you go out hunting as you don't want to go injuring or maiming anything. A club will also help teach you the basic safety aspects.

Kit yourself out with some basic camo, old army surplus does the job for cheap.

Make friends with someone in your area who hunts and ask if you can go on their shoots and have a go with their gun or borrow one, there are skills to shooting animals you need to learn before going it alone, you won't get close enough to anything unless you learn these.

Once you have done all this you will know what equipment you need and can go out and buy it.

There are lots of good examples of template permission letters online, however it can be better to go in person though as letters are easily dismissed, it isn't as easy if the person is infront of you.

13. jammy1992

jammy1992 Active Member

thanks everyone got BASA insurance sorted today and had a good go at making hides there looking better every time as for my accuracy its very good as for camo for me would solider 95 dpms be any good i can get aload for nothing as my brother is in the army and sends me loads of goodies

14. Irvysan

Irvysan Posting Addict

15. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned BANNED

Yes DPM is great and if you can get it for nothing then all the better.

16. secretagentmole

Some people have all the luck, I use DPM 95 in the spring and summer (NBC suits with the charcoal removed), other wise they get too hot. Works for me!