1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

What 12 bore for the wife?

Discussion in 'Shotguns (SGC)' started by sharpshooterpete, May 16, 2015.

1. sharpshooterpete

sharpshooterpete Donator

Afternoon chaps, hope all are having a good weekends so far.

I have my wife hooked on clays and she is looking to get her first shotgun soon. Does anyone recommend a 12 bore that is fairly light on recoil? Shes used a 20 bore a number of times and didn't get on with it. She definitely wants a 12.

Problem being, as mentioned above, she is a little delicate to recoil so we want something that she can use for a whole days shooting. Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers,

Pete.

2. the ratcher

the ratcher Engaging Member

Hi pete my wife is five foot eight tall and about nine stone in weight we both uses my Beretta 682 sporter with no problems it is a heavy gun but has low recoil we both do a 30 bird sporting set-up once a month and have a great day out.

3. btc3

btc3 Well-Known Member

Guerini or Fabarm Syren 12g

4. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello pete, would not a light weight semi auto do? about 6.5llb and low recoil? i am looking at the armsan/winchester for the same reason for vermin control, and the odd time clay shooting but not to do any game shoots as still frowned upon.

5. 1961nuffield

1961nuffield Honorary Member

I'd second the semi auto (but not all clay grounds like them though) I have an old browning 2 shot semi and its very nice to shoot, and very point-able!

John

6. danban

danban Posting Addict

Any 12 with a light load cartridge will be low recoil if it fits right

7. Chady

Chady Active Member

If it's low recoil,

Chose your carts wisely!

Try hull comp x 21gram or the low one I use the 28gram but they do a light one.

And another thing to remember is the lighter the gun the more recoil felt.

8. guzzicat

guzzicat Engaging Member

I can second Nuffield,s view of older Browning 2 shot , totally different to any other auto , featherweight , wish my game shoot would allow their use no recoil & so pointable ,one of my top 10 Teal guns of all time,

9. Peter Norris

Peter Norris Posting Addict

A Browning semi auto.
    Peter.

10. sharpshooterpete

sharpshooterpete Donator

Thanks for all the advice guys, I did think of getting her a semi (so I can use it more than her;)) but she wants a O/U really. I will see how she gets on with the Beretta 682 as mentioned above she may be able to get one of those just for clays and also get her a semi for when she comes out with me on the pigeons.

Pete.

11. bunnyblatter

bunnyblatter Pro Poster

When I read the title of the thread I thought you'd had a major fall out with your other half and was planning to finish her off :eek:

12. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

Funny my first thoughts exactly and would suggest that it wouldn't really matter at close range. Amazing how a couple of words can bring people to the wrong conclusion.

Andrew

13. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Silver pigeon or browning 425/525 as said light load maybe 21 gram fibres jobs a good one, but if she didn't get on with a 20 bore what makes you think a 12 will make things better?

I know a lot of 20s suit women more than men, due to their slim profile and low recoil, any 12 even using a light load with be more recoil than a 20 unless you put 36 grm loads through the 20.

If you look at a browning in 20 bore ie 425/525 then dimentions seem a lot more 12 like compared to some 20s made by beretta, I would take her somewhere she can try a few out mate, think it may just be the fact she used a 20 that didn't suit her, like any cal they all come in defferent shapes and sizes.

But if its a matter of you both been able to buy ammo and share it in bulk, then as I say you can never go wrong with a sliver pigeon in 12.

14. sharpshooterpete

sharpshooterpete Donator

It could be as you said, the 20 bore just didn't fit her very well and that more than likely played a part in her not shooting so well. However she said she just felt better with a 12, she said the recoil wasn't as bad and overall felt more confident with it but again, more than likely this could just be down to that particular gun fitting her better than the 20. Im taking her with me on friday to the club to try my old side by side again, 12 bore 28g's no.8's and she seemed to be okay with that which is why she and I think a 12 would be best.

When it comes to buying her gun we were going to take a trip up to Oxfordshire gun company to get fitted and try a wide variety 12 as 20's. Maybe she will find a 20 is better if it fits nicely.

I just dont want to spend a lot of money on a gun that after a while, she doesn't like shooting. It's okay if I did that because I find I shoot okay with most guns but its different for her, I want her to hit clays confidently and a gun that doesn't put her off because of recoil. She was gutted how many she missed after 50 clays with 20 and also how bruised she felt the next day but absolutely buzzing after 50 with the 12.... Its a bloomin' hard decision and im definitely starting to ramble on now so I will cut it off here haha.

Pete.

15. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello pete, let me know how you get on with oxford gun shop?????

16. themadspread

themadspread Donator

i thought exactly the same thing i know when mine was alive there was many times i would have like to have took a shotgun to her

17. sharpshooterpete

sharpshooterpete Donator

No worries mate I will do, I wont be going up there for a month or so yet but if me and the ball and chain get there before you do, I will let you know how we get on.

Pete.

18. themadspread

themadspread Donator

lads the oxford gun shop is very up market and they look down on air gunners very stuck up been there once wouldnt go there again if they gave the stuff away

19. doby

doby Newbie

Ive got a 12 bore for sale on *******, not expensive but nice gun, it was the wife's and she had the stock sorted so it did not recoil the same for a woman frame, made a big difference,, only selling as she has not used it in a while.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2015
  20. doby

doby Newbie

new to the site so did not know the name will not come out, not sure if Im breaking any rules but it the "gun" and "star" site