1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice What 10 shot or not a 10 shot,

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by andyh, Jun 10, 2008.

1. andyh

andyh Engaging Member

I may have landed myself a shoot, and this question may be a bit premature but, having seen what I saw last night I'm not sure quite what to do. Went to a "farm" to see a rabbit problem, now I kid you not there were hundreds of them, never seen so many in one place, they aren't used to being shot at and are used to activity. I could set up a hide quite easily as I doubt stalking would be necessary to start with. Range could be from next to nothing to 30-40 yards but I think most shooting would be done at around 20-30 yards.
    I reckon I need a better tool than my ratcatcher obviously and I will have to use a silencer, "farmer" requests that, there's no choice about it, I could use the HW80 if I got a silencer for it but don't fancy using a springer in this situation, to much clunk to the reloading I think.
    I think I want a 10 shot or at least something with a magazine, smaller in length the better, so what do you think ? I've looked at BSA Ultra 10 shot (I liked the small size of that) and Webley 10 shot, budget got to be around £400, has anyone used or got either, I've read reviews at review center and it could be either really so let me know what other alternatives that might fit the bill. :D

2. Fxwhisper

Fxwhisper Active Member

Have you thought about a second hand bsa superten, nice and quiet and have a really good shot count. If you got a carbine it would be really short to.

Have a look on www.guntrader.co.uk

The bsa untra is nice and compact but the shot counts not to good, and if theres as many rabbits as you say your guna need a good shot count.:up:

3. andyh

andyh Engaging Member

I really don't know my guns like a lot of you do, had a look on guntrader one superten carbine there s/h £395, what shot counts are we talking about ? had a look at it on reviewcenter and does appeal to me, thanks.
    I BS you not about the rabbits, farmer took me for a ride in his motor around the fields and you just could not count the ammount of white tails legging it as we got within 20 yards of them, I really wouldn't like to estimate the population but it just has to be from what I saw last night literally hundreds upon hundreds, here's hoping the man on the farm, he say YES ! :up:

4. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

The AA S200 is a good little gun, cheaper than an S410 but with almost the same performance I think. They don't come in 10 shot but you buy the conversion kit seperately for about £60-£65, that's over-priced for a piece of plastic but you'll need it if you want a multi-shot. For the S200 and magazine kit you're looking at no more than £360 which is cheaper than the S410 :up:

If you don't mind second hand then have a quick look at the Weihrauch HW100, comes in thumbhole or sporter versions at the same price, 14 shot magazine with side-lever action.

5. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

by your current selection of guns you seem to want light weits so how about the webly liteweight.

its an 8 shot :shrug:

as most shots are between 20-30 yds (yes i know here we go again)
    .22 is fine, plus webly are very smart so the liteweight only comes in .22

at thats range .22's tragectory isnt too bad, past 35yds and the old maths comes into play.
    the advantage with .22 here is that backup chest shot, if the first headshot doesnt to the damage i have been able to take a chest shot and kill it.

this was at 35yds.
    its also worth mentioning if the chest shot didn't get it that one of two things will happen.
    1. too ingured to run so you can do things the old fashiond way
    2. if it makes it into hiding it will die faster than it would with the one pellet wound.

in your price range at a push could get a BSA T-10, i want everyone to have it before me:D
    or the wood version, i'm quite shure it comes as a 10 shot:up:

right.
    .177 from the ranges you mentioned not that useful.
    this is fine for taking shots out to 45yds+

but with the 20-30yds range .22 seems a better option in my opinion as you have the back up shot, more air per fill which is important as you are going for small light guns and it has the knockdown power for the close range shots so tragectory is very managable

also in general:
    .177 for stalking
    .22 if you know the range and are close

thats the rule i go by anyway

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  6. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

I think I'd agree with that, if you're going shorter range then get a .22 :up:

7. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

who are you?:eek::eek:

wheres the mad mod cog that i lovingly call coggy:D

8. jamjon

jamjon Posting Addict

Does that budget include recharging equipment

9. topcat

topcat Posting Addict

air arms 177 410 carbine

10. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

will you need a pump or a bottle?

these things are pricy and take at least £100 off your buget

11. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

totally agree, also you can get a good second gun with scope & silencer, for less than £400:up:

12. Fxwhisper

Fxwhisper Active Member

Shot count depends on if your getting a .22 or a 177

personal preference is a full length barrel in 177. many wont agree! (A1):D

.177 carbine does 100 shots, or full lengh barrel does 160 shots per charge

.22 carbine does 160 shots, or full lengh barrel does 230 shots per charge

and you can take a spare buddy bottle shooting for even more carnage:up:

13. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

I don't think anyone could call .177 better for close range and be telling the truth ;) see I'm open minded, unlike some people :D

14. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

to be fair i answered that openminded.

for the range mentioned there i would use .22 even if i did have a .177

i wish i had .177 when i hunted in a sand quarry as it was all open ground and a rabbit could see you coming 100yds away.

but i'm skilled so always managed to get within 35yds and bring home the bacon, well rabbit:D

15. andyh

andyh Engaging Member

No mate, £400 ish for the rifle, I've allowed for recharging equipment so my total budget is around £550, I have a 3-9x40 scope that would do for now but if it comes off I might invest in a better quality scope, but that's another subject. I'd probably go for a stirrup pump rather than the expense of a botle unless I find a bargain somewhere. :up:

16. andyh

andyh Engaging Member

Thanks for all your replies,

I like the BSA T10 a1, now that appeals to me as it's synthetic stock, I held an AA S200 and didn' like the feel of it for some reason, and I do like the AA 410 style but haven't held one. I do prefer lightweight rifles but I can't really see a weight issue with any of the carbines.

Apart from that you've now totally confused in the .22 / .177 debate :confused:
    Now would you consider the ratcatcher as good enough for up to 30 yards in .22 ? I have replaced he breech with a steel one which improved performance no end and it's fitted with a Weihrauch silencer. I could get a 24" barrel for it to improve it further. I could then go for the .177 giving me the best of both worlds, what do you think ? :up:

17. FXpoacher

FXpoacher Engaging Member

Have to admit, that BSA superten bull barrel looks the beez kneez!.
    Problem is they go for over a £1000 here, and if i brought one of those, there's no point in going home for a year or two, er indoors would kill me!:eek::eek:

18. andyh

andyh Engaging Member

Now a pigeon shoot as well maybe ?

Just to through another spanner in the works I'm also likely to be allowed to shoot on another farm and the quarry there would be pigeon. Like buses this wait ages for one and then 2 come along at once. I've not seen the pigeon farm but farmer wants me to ring him later in the year to shoot pigeon. Definitely need to learn more skills to decoy them in though maybe, but this lead seems very promising.

19. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

you have to keep changing it!!!:rolleyes:

right, with pigeon you normally need penetration, especially if they have a full crop (thats if you take a chest shot). headshots obviously anything will work.

so .177 is better then as you probably wont know the range if you stalk them and the extra range would be handy as they sit in trees so there is always a few extra yards on the target because of the upward angle.

so by the sounds of it you need a .177 for the birds and the .22 for your close range rabbits.

obviously theres no such thing as one caliber being the most versatile as in this situation both are scored at 1-1:rolleyes:

if the ratcatches is shooting straight out to the range you need it too keep that for the rabbits and have .177 for pigeons.

anymore spaners you want to throw in?

20. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

That's because of the square fore-grip, the newest ones don't have that, instead they've got a one-piece stock which is more rounded and more comfortable, don't think it looks as good though :p trust me, the S200 is a good lightweight rifle, performance for little money :up: