1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Were new to Airguns and a little bit of advice needed

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by stevekane, Jan 10, 2014.

1. stevekane

stevekane Active Member

Hello and many thanks for looking, this is my first post having just joined the site.
    My 14yrs old grandson is very intrested in target shooting in the garden and hes been useing an old and rather rickety .22 BSA Meteor. We visited a friend who has some very expensive target Rifles and a lovely Webley Nemisis pistol with a Red Dot Sight which we were able to try out. We were very impressed with the Nemisis because it was great fun and the neat Single stroke action/charge, it was all so clever and simple but,,,and this is the thing, afterwards we both felt that it was not very satisfying shooting a gun that seemed so accurate at the short distances we were shooting at that it almost seemed difficult to miss! Now I fully accept that we might be getting ahead of ourselves, but I wonder what other people think?
    So instead of looking at Webley Nemisis/ Chinese clones our thoughts have turned to Spring guns, and just to make a sugestion, Ive seen local to us a very nice looking Webley Hurricane, also .22 cal. I think its a Mk2 Version, a lovely looking gun but how suitable for Garden Target Shooting I wonder, and what do you think about what Ive said?
    I would add that were not looking to spend lots of money on something very extream, but still happy to pay for something nice that would be satisfying to both own and use.

Many thanks in advance.
    Steve.

2. Chinnymonster81

Chinnymonster81 Busy Member

The most important question is how long is the garden? and does it have a suitable backstop/pellet trap as nothing must exit your boundry as it is an offence. That said I use my full power rifles in my garden for zeroing at 15yds without any problems so really more about the suitabilty of your garden and any neighbours who might complain about the noise or the fact that you are in the garden with a gun. All those things aside find something within your budget that fits well, take a trip down the gun shop together and try a few out for size in your price range.

3. stevekane

stevekane Active Member

Many thanks Chinnymonster, much appriciated, indeed were reasonably aware of the safety issues and the garden is quite safe with good neighbours who would not be unduly concerned, and its fairly easy for us to lay out a 10 and 15mtrs target. We have been to the local gunshop and they were extreamly helpful, but there is a limit to how much time you feel you can tie them up for, esp as were starting from a position of knowing virtually nothing. Our only other thoughts were, would a pistol of the Nemisis type but used without a Red Dot type sight and just useing the standard sights be a gun that is both fun and a little bit of a challange to shoot well with?
    Steve.

4. theobencarbine88

theobencarbine88 Posting Addict

Im not a pistol fan but I used to have a nemesis i used with open sights. Its a SSP (single stroke pneumatic) so no recoil which aids accuracy much like a pcp airgun. A spring pistol can be just as accurate however but would be a little more challenging. My advice would be to get a pistol in .177 calibre, with pistols being low on power anyway its going to give a faster, flatter trajectory of the pellet and increase your effective range without using holdover to hit distant targets. Not sure if this really applies to typical pistol ranges but in my mind its a no brainer.

I had good fun shooting tins and stuff in the garden with my nemesis. I think at 15 meters though its going to be quite hard to hit small targets with the open sights. Last year i got my friend a lovely nemesis off this forum with wooden grips & fitted it with a hawke red dot sight. I did the zeroing for him to and it was spot on at 10 yards. Open sights are a nice novelty to me but if you want to take advantage of an airguns accuracy you need a red dot or even better a telescopic sight which they do make bespoke for pistols.

I dont know much about the webley hurricane .. i think they are quite well regarded though. The HW40, HW45 & Webley alectro are probably the pistols most people on this forum rate highly but they would be higher prices i guess. worth some research and checking the 2nd hand sales thread here on the forum. atb & enjoy your shooting :)

5. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

Hi Steve, Welcome to the forum, as Chinny says it is an offence for a projectile to exit your boundary, you just need a backstop ie a shed or wall to place your target against or shoot from your boundary towards your house. If you have good neighbours you should not have a problem. Atb Paul.

6. kal el

kal el Posting Addict

crosman 2240's would be a good choice to start with, co2, plenty of mods available and good residual value should you decide to sell it and get something better/different/more expensive. they are .22 standard but can be changed.

are you wanting pellet or bb as some real nice replica bb pistols are available

7. Chinnymonster81

Chinnymonster81 Busy Member

If you want a cheap rifle to get started with then look at either a Hatsan or Gamo break barrel will do, some even come with a scope. They are not fabulous but will give a starting point and buy a .177 rather than a .22 as it has a more forgiving trajectory, although at 10 -15m it won't make too much difference. Have a look round the web to see what clubs are fairly close to you also, as most will have a plinking range which will give him a chance to shoot at longer ranges. I can't get my 8,12or 14 year olds out of my clubs one when they go with me.

All the best

George.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  8. mattyts

mattyts Donator

A good starting pistol would be a Beeman 2004E P17,it's a cheaper copy of a HW40 and is sold at around £65 but if you wanted something a little bit better then you could jump in for the Weihrauch HW40 which sells for around £110,they're both recoiless and highly accurate with medium power,they are also self sufficient so you don't need to buy Co2 capsules or air bottles for them,just pellets & targets.I've had both the Beeman and the Weihrauch and enjoy them both

For a starting rifle,i would also recommend a Hatsan Mod55/60s dependant on the calibre you prefer,they go for £100 and are excellent,underrated rifles for the money,being spring they are self contained but do have recoil but it's not too bad and you can still shoot it with extreme accuracy for a gun of this price point,I have one and plan to fit a tuning kit to it for even better performance.

If you end up getting a pistol or a rifle you should probably consider some optics for it as you can only do so much with open sights,for the pistol i would reccomend one of the hawke red dots,they're easy to setup/use and are quite cheap,for the rifle,try something like an Hawke Sport HD AO 3-9 scope,they are cheap and very good for the price,we have 4 on our rifles.

9. Macdoog

Macdoog Posting Addict

I would suggest getting a rifle before you purchase a pistol. If you want to learn to shoot properly get a nice little second hand early BSA or German gun then move onto pistol which is far harder to shoot than a rifle. If you want fun plinking in the back garden get a co2 pistol. If you want a challenge get a springer pistol which will teach far more than a blowback desert eagle. I would also go for .177 rather than .22...I feel fathers influence to go for the bigger calibre!!

10. Paul55

Paul55 Posting Addict

Whilst the Webley is a nice pistol IMO you would fare far better with a Weihrauch HW45 in .177. The later models employed fibre optic sights & a dual power cocking system. Not cheap with S/H models ranging from £140 - £180 depending on condition, but, they will last last a lifetime & will teach you to shoot correctly.

11. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

You could always refurb the rickety meteor to bring it back to its former glory? Relatively cheap and easy to do. We can talk you through the process too!

12. Wynne G Oldman

Wynne G Oldman Engaging Member

A good pistol to start shooting at 10m with, if your Grandson'e serious about target shooting, is a Baikal IZH-46M. I joined a club a few months ago, and asked their advice, and they recommended this pistol. Quite a few of the members have them there. I took their advice and bought one myself, and I'm very pleased with it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  13. Natgun

Natgun Well-Known Member

I agree that good quality guns make shooting a lot easier and less challenging.

I have 2 cheap brake barrel guns, 1 Gamo whisper gas ram £160 and a Webley valuemax springer £130. With only the standard iron sights, plinking targets around the garden is much more fun. Me and Mrs have competitions (which I normally lose at).

If I were to use my recently aquired PCP, it would be near bullseye every shot.. ZzZz Of course when we go to the Rifle club we actually want it to be easier!

I would recommend a cheap and cheerful gun, it sounds like you would enjoy it far more!

14. SWRPS

SWRPS Member

Hi Steve,

If your grandson has ambitions towards competitive target shooting, may I suggest he view the SW Region Rifle and Pistol Squad webpage at www.aiming4gold.co.uk/SWRPS.php (this link is case sensitive); and if this interests him, please get in touch.

Best regards
    Chris Mason
    SW Region Head Pistol Coach

15. stevekane

stevekane Active Member

First may I thank you all for taking the trouble to reply, all the comments have been extreamly useful and reading through them several times there is a fare range of opinion, which I suppose points to an underlineing basic fact that what suits one person might not suit another.

I've also been speaking with my grandson and were now thinking along the lines of buying almost any reasonable quality gun, preferably a used model and then gaining some practical experience, hopefuly we will then have a better idea of what direction(s) we would like to go.

I think Ive ruled out the big Webley Hurricane Pistol, its local to us but at £100 its I think perhaps more of a "collectors item" and reading reviews it might be just too much for him to master.
    The Crosman 2240 looks very good, the throw away gas canisters are a shame but then at seemingly around 50 shots a time they are not expensive and would give him plenty of shooting practice, and I liked the very active "tuning" industry thats grown around this gun thats only around £75 new I think.

Lots of people clearly like them, then there is the Baikal IZH-46M, well at around £500, I think thats somthing for the future,,perhaps the Olimpics after next maybe!!
    And Of course there is still our old BSA Meteor, and its "doing up" this is on the cards and "Meteors" offer of a talk through would be very useful and is much appreciated.

It's basicly okay but is Im fairly sure down on power, the leather seal where the barrel closes against the breech(?) is almost non existant and there seems to be a fair degreee of side to side slop where the gun breaks.
    Not so troublesome when we were useing the open sights but he has found a small tele sight and with this there is at times no relationship between the barrel and sights I think!!

So to conclude, we on the lookout for a moderatly priced pistol and are within reason willing to look at any type.

Steve.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2014
  16. FRAG

FRAG Member

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion (which I may get slated for) but I had a similar issue. The high grade target pistols take the fun out of it as that range as they are precision pistols. I shoot in my garden under similar conditions that you describe. I personally use an Umarex P99. If your unfamiliar with this model it is a co2 power .177, 8 shot rotary magazine fed pistol based on the walther P99. They also do the Umarex p88 which some prefer. This is tool will be as accurate or as inaccurate as you choose to be. One of the nice feature to this pistol is that it's both double action and you can also cock it which brings the trigger back for a more precise shot.

Most co2 pistols can be a little loud. If you have fussy neighbours then you can use a suppressor/moderator/silencer, whichever name you prefer. So my personal setup is an Umarex P99 (£180), 1/2" UNF silencer adapter for P99 (£10) and a Hogan Decimeater silencer (£45). Nice this about that silencer is that although it's long it's incredible light weight so great with a pistol.

hope this helps and hope I don't get yelled at by anyone for suggesting this pistol :)

17. stevekane

stevekane Active Member

Hello Frag and everyone else who has taken the trouble to read our posts and offer advice, its really very much appriciated.
    We also started out thinking that the Modern SSP pistols were just a little bland and predictable, and we started looking at older spring guns, but to be honest I think we were probably getting a little ahead of ourselves, esp as the amount of money were looking to spend is only perhaps £70 or so,,and after thinking it through we concluded that the important thing was for him to get a gun that was both manageable and with which he could learn the basics as well as being fun, somthing that will encourage him. If as we hope to do now, buy a gun such as the W40 we dont think we will be unhappy with it in the short term and after a while its likly that we will be able to sell it easily and be more knowledgeable when we purchase our next gun.
    On a different note, tommorow we order up our rebuild parts for the old Meteor, so we will also have that to play with too.
    All the bst and many thanks once again.
    Steve.

18. mattyts

mattyts Donator

the HW40 or Beeman will be great fun,whichever one you go for...and for £65 you could get the brand new Beeman and fettle it slightly to have a gun nearly as good as the HW40,also with the money saved,get a cheap red dot or a case for it and have a good setup.

19. ambriel

ambriel Engaging Member

My youngest son uses a Gamo Delta Fox which is ideal as a starter gun because it's only about 5-6 fpe and so easier to cock for a youngster. It's also surprisingly accurate when setup right.