1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Bad news Well that didn't go as planned.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Chinnymonster81, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Chinnymonster81

Chinnymonster81 Busy Member

Aaarrrghh, after a lot of moaning from my eldest son about he would prefer the bolt on his S400 to be left handed I decided to sort it for him. Well the title says it all, two rounded out bolts on the valve body followed by two broken drill bits it finally came apart. And guess what, thats right the pin wouldn't budge nor the bolt handle. Now I'm two fixing bolts short and a less than immaculate valve block and its still right handed .Typical

2. wizard1963uk

wizard1963uk Donator

Sounds like my kind of luck mate :(

3. Chinnymonster81

Tell me about it, all was going well until the bolts rounded out then it just went downhill from there. The only plus point is the messy parts are all covered by the stock. Might bite the bullet and get a new block as they are only about 38 quid, depends on whether it holds air as there was a slight score near the gauge seal. Filled ok will see if any has leaked off later.

4. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    not quite following this mate - theres only one screw to take out when replacing the bolt - the one that secures the bolt to the pellet probe. did you heat it up with a hair dryer to soften the locktite ?

5. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

That's unfortunate :(

Not wishing to sound condescending, but how did you manage to strip the heads in the bolts? I'm assuming they were seized in? This seems highly unusual as they're usually good quality and come out pretty easily. Good idea to replace the valve block; although be careful as there are a number of different types.

With reference to the bolts from underneath, I assume this is a post AT (or at least AT ready) rifle? It sounds like it's an "F" (serial post 100000 or thereabouts, all six action block bolts from underneath), is therefore current and you won't have a problem sourcing parts. If it's a "pre-F" (serial between about 060000 and 100000, four block bolts from the top, two from the bottom) then the block is different and you might have a job sourcing one.

Removing the on that biases the bolt operation orientation is best achieved with oil, padded needle-nose pliers and possibly a bit of heat. The bolt handle is loctited on; often they come off with a bit of gentle persuasion with the Allen key, however heat helps. Tbh I find it's easiest to get the handles off in situ as the rest of the gun gives you something to hold onto while you're twisting the handle on the bolt shaft.

Good luck getting it sorted ;)

6. Chinnymonster81

Its a recent model six bolts underneath serial No starts 11 the two bolts by the gauge were virtually seized and the allen key just rounded out the bolt head, three different key sets and no purchase. Bloody nuisance. The pin just doesn't want to move and the bolt handle probably wasn't getting hot enough. Just pulled it out of the safe and its still holding air so seems all the damage is purely cosmetic but might change it anyway. It's a nuisance really as its a straight forward job.

7. Chinnymonster81

As an aside I can understand why they fit a shear bolt to the transfer port but the rest of the anti tamper plugs are just pointless. Any water getting inside the gun in the rain is gonna stay there as you can't strip and relube properly whilst it is there.
    Suprisingly the AT fell off pretty easily, should have known the already exposed bolts would cause a problem. Beretta don't worry about me taking my shotgun apart they even supply the tools for the job.

8. Akita177

Akita177 Sharpen the pikes

The small screws shouldnt be done up too tight in the first place, are you 100% sure you had a decent allen key and the correct size?
    Could it have been apart before and they overtightend everything re-assembling?
    When i took a 2011 S410 apart none of the screws where a problem and the little pin came out easy using tiny thin nose pliers without teeth on them.
    Then warmed up the bolt handle and rotated it 180degrees.

9. Chinnymonster81

All the bolts came out easily except the two by the gauge. As said they just rounded straight out. Key size was correct just bad bloody luck. You may be right it could have been taken apart before and over tightened.as for the pin and bolt I'm not overly worried as they will move sooner or later. Just annoyed about the valve body.

10. cloverleaf

Sounds like a nasty situation.. for the sake of a few quid I'd certainly get that valve body replaced. Glad you got the bloody AT out alright though - as much as I like AA products IMO they've ruined the S400 series with their over-zealous and invasive anti-tamper measures - I'll certainly never own a post-AT AA gun :(

11. Lee67

Lee67 Posting Addict

As Steve pointed out, if u just want to refit bolt to left hand side, heat bolt in handle and undo, swop bolt round, refit bingo.......and people knock bsa quality...I replaced my bolas bolt just now in 2 mins

12. Chinnymonster81

You need to move the internal pin to make the action left handed properly. As for the anti tamper the transfer port one is still on, after the rest of the drama I couldnt be bothered trying to get it out. Have two S510's with the anti tamper still on as well. Every time I look at it it annoys me as basic maintenance is hindered. Like I said easy job made impossibly hard by over zealous nannying. I bet they hate it when rifles get sent back for work as getting the AT off is a nuisance unless of course they've got themselves a special tool set just for the job.

13. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

My brand new daystate, trigger bolts just rounded off straight away too, I wasn't happy :)

14. cloverleaf

Absolutely. I find the AT offensive from an engineering perspective (IMO it ruins an otherwise very well-engineered product), from a hassle perspective (1.5hrs to strip a rifle as opposed to 20 minutes), from the perspective of rifle preservation and longevity (due to the tools and forces involved it's now far easier to damage the gun when removing the AT) but mostly from a moral standpoint (the law states that I'm legally responsible for the energy my rifle produces, yet I'm not deemed responsible enough to be "allowed" the facility to adjust it).

Unfortunately AA seem to be by far the most heavy-handed in their implementation of AT; despite all their protestations that they're only doing what they're told, other manufacturers seem to "get away" with a lot less..

The more I sit here and think about this pointless nanny-state-sponsored BS, the more I can feel my p**s boiling - **** you AT :mad:

15. Egg

Egg Major Poster

I know where you're coming from: the S410K I used to have had been converted from RHS to LHS action and I had to take it apart. Fortunately mine was one of the early AT jobs (upside down hex bolt - easy to deal with).

Sounds like you've had a mare of a time bud. I wish to god that hex bolts were made of top grade, non-mushy steel instead of crappy monkey-metal. All of them. The world over. The amount of grief I've had from mashed hex and/or screw heads beggars belief :mad:

16. Chinnymonster81

As I mentioned I also have another two with AT intact, one of which is close to the limit. I don't want to send it to AA as its under warranty only to be deprived of it's use for month or two just for them to turn a screw and refit the crap that stops me doing it, lot of good the warranty is if it spends it warranty period at AA. The AT plugs are relatively easy to deal with just a couple of scratches to cover up. Might go over my dads to do the other two as he has a proper drill press and things will stay straight. And to add to this my front door is now leaking through the letter box as the clowns fitted it without a gasket, I honestly have to wonder about the manufacturing process of some firms, almost as much water inside the door as out. Still not as bad as the poor sods who are flooded out.

17. Chinnymonster81

18. Egg

Egg Major Poster

You turned robot on us?

19. Chinnymonster81

Nah just a graphical representation of my current mood. Still it could be worse. The gun still works just need two new bolts. Bidi bidi bidi whats up Buck.

20. Chinnymonster81

Parts ordered so should be properly sorted shortly.