1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Weihrauch Hw97 Tune/piston Mod

Discussion in 'Technical' started by mjwright1968, Mar 28, 2020.

1. mjwright1968

mjwright1968 Newbie

I bought a second hand hw97mk1 in December 2019 for a Christmas project, I have now completed this project and I am delighted with the results. TBT top hat and spring guide with short stroke reducer, PTFE piston sleeve and polish of all internals. I also drilled the piston to reduce weight in an effort to increase lock time and reduce the recoil. this week thanks to COVID 19 I have modified the Rekord trigger by moving the trigger forward. the rifle was good to start with but now it in a different league. your thoughts please.

Attached Files:

2. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Sounds good - have you balanced the increase in performance with resistance of the piston in the cylinder to reduce the double recoil on maximum compression? I believe this is one of the hardest things to do, so I'd be intrigued if you tackled it? Does the cycle change with different pellet weights? Mine works very well tuned, but I found using lubed light pellets made it too efficient and the cycle was actually harsher on recoil, it shoots perfectly with AA Express @ 7.9gn unlubed though :thumb:

Tinbum and The Iceman like this.
  3. walter Often

walter Often Big Poster

My 97 has had a lot of work done to it by Shaun. I still don't understand all the technical stuff, but I've got a rough idea of why it is as it is now. It's amazing with any pellet I've tested with so far, but with the tighter fitting hn ftt, it sounds and feels slightly different to the "drop in" RS. the hn ftt are still accurate, but the RS are siky smooth and very quiet.

jesim1 likes this.
  4. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

Good job!:thumb:

5. walter Often

walter Often Big Poster

The only thing I still struggle with is loading the pellet. I hold the cocking arm in one hand cos I've read that its risky not to, but I'm like a cow handcuffed trying to fumble the pellets in. I think I've finally sussed it, then the next day I'm back to square one. Turning it upside down to shake the pellet out. The wife keeps finding pellets from everywhere I shoot it from. Deffo easier to load a break barrel.

pjgtech and Tinbum like this.
  6. jesim1

Left hand holds open the cocking arm and steadies the gun, the butt pad sits on your right knee with the scope slightly against you for support, then you just pop in the pellet with the thumb of your right hand :thumb:

Reevo17 likes this.
  7. Plinky Dave

Plinky Dave Engaging Member

Looking really well done, how did you get the holes drilled in the piston, pillar drill? and is there a explanation or instruction on how to move the trigger pivot and by how much? I guess this improves trigger feel. A piccy of the modded trigger assy would be useful.
    Thanks
    Dave

Howlin Wolf likes this.
  8. john79

john79 Big Poster

[​IMG]

Plinky Dave likes this.
  9. Blackmax

Blackmax Forum Rude Guy

Nice work buddy! :up:

10. walter Often

walter Often Big Poster

How you have described that is spot on. Everything except the bit where I put the pellet in! Lol! The end of the scope is half inch back from where you load it, and not covering anything at all. So I experimented by taking the scope completely off. It worked. It was a lot easier with out the scope on. But obviously that isn't practical. So cos I'm bored, and I've already walked the dog twice today,.......I'm gonna delve into the wifes sewing box and see what I can do to help me with the loading problem. Something likes this maybe......?;):D

"THE DEVIL FINDS WORK FOR IDLE HANDS" 15854848401346756007958205429278.jpg

pjgtech, Tyler durdon and whambam like this.
  11. whambam

whambam Lost in a world of bulls##t

Looks good

12. walter Often

walter Often Big Poster

Lol! I'm pacing up and down constantly looking for something to do mate. The wife is looking a bit nervous. She likes our place as it is. She doesn't want an underground bunker in the garden with a tunnel leading to the beer shop a mile away. And has hidden all my camping tarps cos she said I had a nightmare last night and was muttering about building a hang glider and launch pad next to the chimney. :):confused:

Howlin Wolf and Reevo17 like this.
  13. jesim1

I tried several scopes on mine to get decent access to the loading port, so keep trying. I've currently got an Aztec Emerald 5-25 on there and it's fine, I also tried a Sidewinder, Airmax, Endurance and they were all doable but not quite as easy, you can't just measure the scopes as eye relief plays a part also, and the inch or so between the scope arrestor pin hols also comes into it. But basically, a shorter scope will give you more room :thumb:

14. walter Often

walter Often Big Poster

Nice one mate. I totally get the bit about setting the scope back as far as it will go. I put it in the furthest away hole this morning, but like you say,.....it was no good for me when I looked through it. So it's back in the middle. I've got these other two scopes that I've had for years. Maybe I'll try these to see if they are any good. 15854861960641537668856453897476.jpg

15. Plinky Dave

Plinky Dave Engaging Member

Thanks, looks pretty straightforward: strip trigger assy, Mark approx 3mm fwd of existing hole, centerpunch and drill pilot, open to 2mm, repeat on backside, de burr, clean and reassemble. Looks like the 1st stage tang has gone too.
    Hmm, if only I had loads of free time.
    Dave

john79 likes this.
  16. jesim1

A scope that fits is infinitely better than one which does not :thumb::D

Howlin Wolf likes this.
  17. walter Often

walter Often Big Poster

I learnt that with the shoes handed down to me as a kid. I tried one of the smaller ones earlier, but the one piece mount was too low. The scope cleared the top of the gun by about 5mm, but I had to twist my neck in a figure of eight shape , and take my eyeball out to see through it. The hawke is back in business again now.

Howlin Wolf and jesim1 like this.
  18. Tyler durdon

Tyler durdon Big Poster

Why don’t you refinish your stock mate , that will keep you busy.

19. walter Often

walter Often Big Poster

I look at the stock often mate. It's got a big scratch on one side just back from where I hold it. Looks like someone had a go at it once? Only visible in certain light though. It's got a couple of tiny dinks and knocks in places, but again, only really seen in the right light. I'm not skilled at stuff like that Steve. I wouldn't know where to begin mate. It's got a plain finish to it. The only chequering is one each side of the trigger. I won't be getting the dremel or a chisel out though. I'll end up with a nice open fire in the garden, and a naked 97 action.

20. Tyler durdon

Tyler durdon Big Poster

You could do it mate , nothing fancy just light hand sanding and some finish , I’ll walk you through it just pm me pal
    Atb
    Steve

walter Often likes this.