1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Weihrauch hw35 to restore

Discussion in 'Vintage collectable airguns' started by DaystateNovice, Sep 30, 2014.

1. DaystateNovice

DaystateNovice Well-Known Member

I've got hold of a beautiful hw35 that's seen better days and I'm wanting to bring it back to its former glory. But the problem is, I've never done anything like it before so I'm trying to read up as much as possible first and see what others think about it before I dive in.
    So I'm after some advice on how I should do it really, I'm not going to be reblueing it myself, I'll leave that to someone capable but I'd like to try most other things myself.
    Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
    Here's a few pictures of it, I believe its a 1976 hw35 but could be mistaken.

2. Barni

Barni Donator

Go on give it a go :)
    Just read up first then ask a few questions a couple of days before you re blue it just to make sure. If it goes a bit pete tong its just rub it down and try again i guess

im sure you will be ok :up:

3. 18 Wheeler

18 Wheeler Busy Member

Yep, 1976 according to Mick's master list (T20).

HW35 Export, looks to all be there except the rearsight, which can be got fairly easily. 22" barrel in the correct calibre! cap on the pistol grip, sling swivels, single-sided safety are all original.

It will have a leather piston seal, I'd try and keep that as they can be less pleasant to shoot if converted to a modern synthetic seal.

Is it shootable? If so try to chronograph it (there may be a kindly member near to you if you don't have one) it serves as a useful health check and reference point for any future work.

You'll need to disassemble it to check the internals, they are one of the simpler rifles to work on IMO. Other than some good quality screwdrivers which fit (more correctly turn screws) the only tools required are a couple of Drifts, used to remove pins without damaging them. At a push you can make some by cutting and deburring nails of the correct size.

The existing spring may be serviceable, if not I'll dig out my "recipe for a sweet shooting 35" with a spring recommendation. Allied to a tuning kit from TBT you should be able to do it without any great expenditure.

The one potential big issue is that of the Porous Breech, fixable but it is essential to deal with this before doing anything else. Mick, T20, has written some excellent pieces on this, here's a really good thread.

That's enough for now, I need my beauty sleep! Doubtless you'll get plenty of helpful info from the forum, keep us updated please.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
  4. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Firstly it needs stripping to the core, as it wants rebluing.

Read up first as you may well need to build a spring compresser so the end block doesn't hurt you as it flies out, #

A G clamp cut in half a screwed to a bench is all I used and two hooks placed near a wall so I just sit the action against the g clamp and wind the spring preload out carefully backwards, may be a two man job as they can buckle sometimes depending on the pre load on the spring.

Your gun may well be a leather piston seal which are like rocking horse poo to find, so you may have salvage that depending on its condition.

Anyhow once you have the bare chassis send it to colin malloy in Manchester he will send it back like new, just be carefull when you rebuild it not to scratch it, it may be best taping it up to rebuild it.

You have to decide on weather you want to convert it to a synthetic piston seal which I would not personally, I sold a hw35 not long ago with lovely original finish and internals and it was such a nice shooter, smooth and no vibe at all, plus doing 11.6 ft/ibs, if you can achieve that you have done well as it was the best hw35 Ive ever shot by far.

5. DaystateNovice

Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to try and get it all stripped down this weekend and start with sanding the stock first to get rid of the scratched areas. Whilst doing that I'll have a look at the internals. I know it's got a newish breech seal but hoping the piston seal is still original. Thanks again for all the help, ill try keep this thread updated as work starts on the rifle.

6. johnbaz

johnbaz Big Poster

The 35 is my favourite of all the Weihrauch range :up:

Good luck with the resto ;)

John :)

7. D R Hughes

D R Hughes Newbie

Spring Compressers

If it's any use to anyone, you can make these from sash clams which are for repairing windows and chairs by holding parts together whilst glue sets. Buy the sash clams and a G clamp made by the same firm and you can swop the longer screw from the g clamp into the sash clamps. You'll need to do a little work with a hacksaw, perhaps. Once I'd made mine I put a ball race on the end to go up against the trigger blocks and so on.

Regards, David

8. 18 Wheeler

18 Wheeler Busy Member

I've sent a message requesting the links be removed to a forum moderator.

I have a paper copy of your HW35 Handbook, purchased IIRC along with a number of articles from yourself at the airgun fayre when it was held in Solihull following your "loft clear out".

Good luck with your quest and I hope you shoot your rather nice HW55T on occassion.

ATB, Nick

9. Patrick

Patrick Donator

You can strip an HW35 down without a spring compressor as there's not that much preload on the spring,assuming it's a standard spring,I've done it myself a few times and reassembled it without one and I'm no Charles Atlas.I put the trigger block against the floor on something to stop it getting marked holding it between my feet and grasping the cylinder to unscrew it applying some downward pressure when you get to the last couple of thre to stop it flying apart.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  10. DaystateNovice

Still not been able to start work on this little rifle yet, but I really want to do it all right so if I need to wait till I've got time then needs must.

I've done a fair bit of research on what to do and how to do it, and its honestly not looking too scary. I just know I'll be swearing at myself once I start to sand the stock and know I've got hours of sanding ahead of me.

I'm gunna get it reblued properly. I really wouldn't want to mess it up.

A quick question though:
    Is standard the only way to go aesthetically or are slight touches generally ok to do (eg, engraved trigger guard ect)
    Just a thought, and I know its going to be mainly a "its your choice" but would love to hear opinions :)

11. 1961nuffield

1961nuffield Honorary Member

If you need a leather piston seal for this, I have one in the garage somewhere you can have.

John

12. D R Hughes

D R Hughes Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the help over the copies, I have no end of trouble with them.

I sold the HW 55 T a while after the fair mostly because It's getting hard to shoot these days, I had an op on my right hand and the scar is in just the wrong place to be accurate enough.

Good luck with the HW35 job, they are nice, easy rifles to work on and easy to understand, unlike some.

Regards, David

13. davymole

davymole Donator

Northop Hall, Mold, Flintshire North Wales
    a very nice project to be starting on and a nice example of a HW35 export,they are an easy rifle to work on so much so you will find them arriving at your door often as many members on here will agree with,if possible keep it original I have a hw35 in .22 from 1974 retained the leather washer was lucky enough to be able to obtain a new piston and washer rebuit with a genuine Weihrauch spring with very little preload all I do is have a couple of carpet tiles cut and placed over a hole on my workmate so as not to mark the barrel and just my weight find it ample to be able to start screwing the the back block up,they don,t need power to be a lovely rifle to shoot at about just under11 ft/lbs,have had one at 17.4ft/lbs but thats another story:eek:

14. lone wolf

lone wolf Major Poster

Will watch this thread with interest

Whats the going price for one of these classics in good condition?

Cheers

Gaz

15. Sprog One

Sprog One Active Member

Regards the HW35 leather piston washer, iirc, and it's a long time ago since I saw one, the washer was about 9 - 12.5 mm thick. I seem to recall it being made up of a few layers of leather circles suitably tapered? At least this is what I recall .

Point being it doesn't seem complicated to make your own to avoid the issues with a synthetic washer.

16. DaystateNovice

Still no work started on this :( been stupidly busy at work and brothers birthday this week so had no time to really start with anything. It's just Sat there waiting to be restored.
    Think I'll have to start the sanding on Wednesday (first day off for about 2-3 weeks) and go from there.

Cheers for the offer John, might take you up on it if I find its missing :)
    I promise I'll start soon; it's not going to be another dead thread!