1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Weihrach Barrel Pivot Removal.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by JamieB57, Jul 13, 2018 at 8:49 PM.

1. JamieB57

JamieB57 Member

Weihrach barrel pivot removal.
    Anyone know the best way to remove the extremely tight nut of the pivot bolt?
    I wish to replace the nut on right side which a previous owner has burred while trying to unscrew.Also should the barrel spring back almost all the way under the main spring load when open? Mine seems rather stiff as if pivot over tightened.

2. shauny

shauny Pro Poster

hold the bolt,from the left side with a big flat screwdriver,and undo the nut with another big flat screwdriver.when you do it up,the barrel
    should just be able to hold its own weight,and should move down with very little effort.if you have to push hard,the pivot bolt is too tight.

Trampilot likes this.
  3. JamieB57

JamieB57 Member

Thanks for quick answer Shauny, I just can’t believe how tight the nut is and though had large flat screwdriver and considerable pressure it would not move a bit.may try a screwdriver which I can add a spanner to for leverage.I guess a previous owner found it over tight,causing the burring!Why they ever needed to try touching it at all is a mystery of course.

4. shauny

shauny Pro Poster

may have been loctited. might be easier if you get someone to hold one of the screwdrivers while you undo the nut.

5. pelletcaster

pelletcaster Engaging Member

Give the barrel a tap to unlock.
    Much easier then to get the locking screw loose awa to regulate the tightness of the pivot and locking screw finally.

6. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

Very true.

7. robs5230

robs5230 Keyboard Hero

If its really been creamed up at the factory, attacking with screwdrivers will only serve to shaft the locknut. Trust me.

An impact driver is what you need. The largets flat blade is a perfect fit. A good sharp tap (with the driver set to undo) will release the nut.
    Obviously make sure rifle is properly supported and an extra pair of hands available just to keep the rifle stable.

8. Patrick

Patrick Donator

For tight barrel pivot bolts that have a screwdriver slot I use an 8mm or 10mm parallel sided screwdriver bit,the sort that you get with an impact driver, fit that in an 8mm socket and attach that to a small tee bar or ratchet handle and with the action in a workmate or similar or someone holding/supporting it use that to undo it.The extra leverage/purchase you get will shift the tightest barrel pivot bolt and providing you use your other hand to steady the bit once you've located in the pivot bolt/nut no risk of chewing the head/slot.
    Be careful if you actually use an impact driver because the head of the slotted nut may shear either side of the slot possibly as i've known screw heads on really stubbing screws shear off when they've been given a clout with an impact driver.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 3:10 PM
  9. JamieB57

JamieB57 Member

Thanks for the replies again,I will try again if I can find a wide flat bit to fit in a socket bar,and with barrel open sounds best.Naturally taking care and with help to hold steady.The new nut and bolt is available.Far too tight now as barrel stiff it move after cocking,think a previous owner has meddled with it!

10. shauny

shauny Pro Poster

not if you have screwdrivers that fit!much more likely to do damage with an impact driver!

Attached Files:

11. robs5230

robs5230 Keyboard Hero

Thats just it Shaun. I do have the correct screwdrivers. I couldn't budge one on a 95. Only thing that moved it was the impact driver that shocked it off.
    It was new and had been done up far too tight. The lock washer had dug into the back of the nut.

shauny likes this.
  12. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Yes when actually unscrewing the barrel pivot bolt have the barrel open as that relieves the pressure that's on it when the barrel is closed.

13. JamieB57

JamieB57 Member

Thanks to everyone who replied to my pivot bolt problem.I have now been able to fix this with a wide flat impact driver bit fitted to a 8mm ratchet bar for leverage.After getting the nut loose I was able to slacken the bolt to give the barrel it’s correct tightness,allowing the barrel to just support its own weight when cocked,and retighten moderately the nut!

robs5230 and shauny like this.