1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Weighing pellet ?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by 177man, Oct 5, 2014.

1. 177man

177man Engaging Member

Hi all
    Do any of you weigh your pellets? i'm using H&N FFT in .22 and have heard
    that they vary quite a lot from pellet to pellet they do seem the best
    through my HW100 accuracy wise but there is the old stray well more than i would
    like and as you have to be a little more precise with hold over in .22 i was thinking it may help
    what are your thoughts ?
    Atb Si

2. 177man

177man Engaging Member

Do you all think i'm being to fussy or does nobody apart
    from Field target shooters do it ? Si

3. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

4. GazCross

GazCross Engaging Member

From what I have witnessed H&N FTT can vary in weight upto a grain each.

5. 177man

177man Engaging Member

Thanks Mr Road kill very interesting and exactly Mr Gaz cross it has to affect
    accuracy and that's what it's all about if you can hit it cleanly you can kill it .
    There is so many factors against us lets take one out of the equation.
    Si

6. tintin

tintin Engaging Member

I weigh my pellets for accurate zeroing and when taking part in HFT comps. It works for me.
    Get some scales from ebay for about £10. Any cheaper and they are not accurate enough.
    Let us know how you get on if doing this for competition purposes.

7. Shoto1

Shoto1 Donator

Whats the make of your scales ? ( model number would help please).
    I am in the market to get one as I think it's a good idea what you do.
    Thanks in advance.
    :up:

8. 177man

177man Engaging Member

Just ordered some scales off ebay 20g to 0.001 £18 free p and p
    let the weighing commence lol

9. milek

milek Honorary Member

I weighed my pellets for the first time on Saturday for Sunday shoot. I cleared a 30 target HFT course for the first time in my competitive career. I don't think for a minute it made a big difference to the poi but it gave me an edge; confidence wise that certainly helped. I will say this; the range of weight across around 500 pellets was significant. 8.37 - 8.73. AA 4.52. I came away with around 900 that were between 8.44-8.46 grains.

10. zippo1973

zippo1973 Donator

Agree with this, but weighing pellets is a tedious process, however, you you will be surprised at the variation you will get. I shot the same course as Mick and had a flyer on one target (forget the donut, lol), had I weighed my pellets, would I have scored better....?? Will definitely try it for this weekend and find out.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  11. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Very similar results to those I got, quite a surprising variation which I feel sure must affect the consistency of the trajectory.

12. 177man

177man Engaging Member

It has to make a difference if it does in .177 it will make a bigger
    difference in .22 surely .I'm going to give it a go i've ordered my scales
    so watch this space i will do some accuracy testing nothing fancy
    and will see what difference it makes thanks for all the replies
    ATB Si

13. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Not sure that's right. I've not checked enough .22 pellets to know how much they vary, if it's the same sort of weight difference it would work out as a smaller percentage of the average so might be better.

14. 177man

177man Engaging Member

Yes i hadn't thought about it that way was just thinking about the over all more
    bent trajectory of the .22 and if that's more consistent then accuracy has to be improved
    Si

15. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

I bought some scales from the bay a few weeks ago just for the hell of it (PRO-J038) - come on, £10 - why not?

I weighed two tins (1000) of .177 H&N FTT to the nearest 0.1gn (grains) (Kill me now.....) The scales are diamond scales and supposed to be super accurate, but TBH the ones I've got are good for about 0.02gn +/- 0.02gn, so you can get batches of pellets to within 0.1gn fairly easily, and according to Chairgun that's about 1mm at 50m ish, way better than anyone can realistically aim. I didn't count the results, I'm not that sad, but roughly the quantity breakdown looks like this:

8.5gn - 15

8.6gn - 650

8.7gn - 320

8.8gn - 10

8.9gn - 5

Unless I was into competitions, which I don't really bother with, I'd say there is no significant difference for about 99% of the shots, as the pellet to pellet variance at 50m is only 1 to 4mm on the whole - and that's on paper going 8.5gn to 8.9gn. In real life this is negligible, but if you want to be as dead on as you possibly can be, there definitely is a scientific back up for doing it, but you won't have any friends and the dog won't love you anymore:D

James

16. happydad

happydad Engaging Member

Hi, posted this on the AAOC it may help you:)

Hi
    whilst shooting last Sunday with my s400 classic (.177) on our HFT course I noticed several of my shots dropping low, it was only when I got home that I noticed an air leak from the TP seal and only when I fired, this was a good excuse to do a service and as I had another scope to try out I didn't mind taking it all apart, the last time I had done this was when I first got it several months ago (trigger and hammer job) and after reading Cloverleaf's post on the firing valve I decide that I would replace this and the spring too as the rifle was second hand I didn't know how much it had been used,(I will get to the statistic's soon [​IMG] [​IMG] ) So duly ordered the parts from Julian, parts arrived nice and quick and a happy boy trotted of to his man cave.
    One point of notice was that the firing spring from Julian was about a coil longer that the one I removed, this I put down to that the older spring my have compressed over time with the possibility of being over filled as the old firing valve had the slight lip to it.

Statistics time [​IMG]
    originally the power was set to 11.4 fpe
    decided to fire a ten shot string before I striped it using its normal diet of JSB Exact Express
    straight out of the tin, unweighed

AVG 11.63 - 809 .... High 11.90 - 818 .... Low 11.32 - 798 ..... 20fps spread

after the service and setting the firing pot to 57mm I decided to also try it out using some JSB Exact & JSB Exact Heavy's

Express unweighed: .. AVG 11.86 - 817 .... high 11.92 - 821 .... low 11.63 - 809 ..... 12fps spread

for the rest of the test the pellets were weighed and an average weight used.
    again using a Ten shot string.

Express 8g .... AVG 11.88 - 818 ... high 11.92 - 821 .... low 11.77 - 814 .... 7fps spread

Exact 8.5g .... AVG 12.24 - 805 ... high 12.41 - 811 .... low 11.84 - 792 .... 19fps spread

Heavy 10.3g ... AVG 12.51 - 739 ... high 12.64 - 743 ... low 12.31 - 733 .... 10fps spread

reduced the power down so it registered 11.4 AVG with the Express pellets

Express: ... AVG 11.40 - 801 ... high 11.48 - 804 ... low 11.32 - 798 ..... 6fps spread

Exact: .... AVG 11.62 - 783 ... high 11.79 - 795 ... low 11.26 - 777 ..... 18fps spread

Heavy: ... AVG 11.93 - 722 ... high 12.15 - 729 ... low 11.84 - 719 ..... 10fps spread

from the above info you can see that the Exacts were not the best and I must admit that the quality of the pellets in this tin were not good with a lot of damaged skirts and have read elsewhere on other forums of problems with JSB Exacts.
    With the Express you needed to weight them to get a very good result as they varied in weight from 7.8 - 8.1g with the odd one down to 7.6 [​IMG]
    The Exact Heavy pellets were the best in terms of quality and constant weight, out of the first 20 pellets only one pellet (10.2g) failed to match the weight of the other 19 (10.3g)

now some more interesting numbers, hitting a 45y target with the above results using Chairgun Pro

Express: ... 6.9fpe - 623fps
    Exact: ...... 7.0fpe - 610fps
    Heavy: ..... 8.5fpe - 611fps

as you can see there is only a loss of 12fps using Heavy's over the light weight Express and 1fps faster than the Exacts, but they carry 1.6fpe more into the target. with my set up (33y zero)this equals -1.57mill dot on my scope. Express -1.37 & Exact -1.46

I'm now starting to think that there is a lot of hot air talked at clubs about lighter pellets and flatter trajectories when it come to it. [​IMG]

I will be trying out the JSB Exact heavy's this Sunday and will post how I get on with them as long as they suit my barrel [​IMG]

just for comparisons I tried Accupell's with the rifle still set on the settings for the JSB Express pellets.

7.8g: ... AVG 10.25 - 769 .... high 10.50 - 778 ... low 10.05 - 762 ..... 16fps spread

45y target 6.2fpe 600fps 1.53 mill dot. if they were set at 11.4fpe then it would be -1.31mill dot. and 6.9fpe 631fps [​IMG]

one thing is for sure changing the valve and spring worked and having a Chronograph is a must.

ATB
    Mike