1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Webley Xocet restoration

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by toytown, May 10, 2012.

1. toytown

toytown Honorary Member

Was chatting to one of the old boys that lives in one of the cottages on my lane today as he wanted to borrow my live traps to catch some squirrels that have been nicking his bulbs from his flower beds :mad: and after setting them up for him and having a chat over a brew we get onto air rifles, he says he used to love sitting in his kitchen popping rats and squirrels from the window but cant anymore coz his old break barrel has seen better days. so i mention to him i can have a look at it as i do a bit of work on my own guns, so he goes of and gets it.

bare in mind he did say it had a cracked stock that he had taped, i could see the crack but you can guise my reaction when i removed the tape and the gun fell to bits at my feet :eek::eek::eek::eek: ........

OH MY GOD how the thing hasnt been put on the fire i dont know, even the stock bolts are sheered off flush so it was only the tape holding it together. drilled and doweled it and now it is clamped drying :D

20120510_141610.jpg 20120510_141711.jpg 20120510_141755.jpg 20120510_143206.jpg 20120510_225213.jpg

can anyone tell me if this is ok as im not really a springer man :eek: its very clean and the rubber isnt cracked or miss shaped.

20120510_225403.jpg 20120510_225420.jpg

2. andy draper

andy draper Post Whore

piston and seal looks ok to me,no point spending on it as he seemed happy with it.Makes you laugh this,old boy probably not the best eyesight,pots rats and squirrels with a machine like this.Why do we spend hundreds of pounds on pcp,sights,pellets,camo,silencer,when this does the job :D.Got to admire his skill.Also great to see you doing this for him,makes my day when someone actually takes the time and trouble to help out another person,well done mate.
    andy.

3. toytown

toytown Honorary Member

haha exactly, he can barely hold a brew yet he is a crack shot with an old mangled springer.

any advice on best grease to use on spring ect, it was dry as a bone thats why i was a bit concerned about piston.

4. Kwhite1981

Kwhite1981 Busy Member

Moly grease will be the best for the spring

5. andy draper

andy draper Post Whore

yes moly grease,it's the stuff you use on car wheel bearings,pop down to your local car spares you can sometimes get a sachet of it for next to nowt,you only need a smidgin.
    andy.

6. 3CM

3CM Engaging Member

Its so true, I have a £150 chinese springer and it serves the same purpose as my mates air arms pcp thats cost him £1k.

Was after pigeons with him and did just as well.

7. toytown

toytown Honorary Member

Moly grease good good :D i have 6litres of thd stuff in the workshop. Do i just do the spring or the piston and cylinder too.

8. Egg

Egg Major Poster

You could make a small fortune flogging wee tubs of it on ;)

Spring - a wee drop round the coils, just enough so you can see it, not too much.

Piston - a smear on the outside, that's all, just a smear.

The chamber - jury's out on that one TBH; some lube the chamber walls, some don't. Best do a G00gle search & decide on that one.

9. toytown

toytown Honorary Member

cheers mate, as soon as the new ish cylinder arrives from ratz i can start rebuilding

10. toytown

toytown Honorary Member

Well the new cylinder and sights came the other day cheers Ratz :up: and ive been busy stripping the stock and finishing up the joins on the repairs. Gave it a few good coats of danish oil and its looking a hundred times better, just a shame the grain is a bit dull. Didnt take too much work to strip coz didnt ave any checkering to faf and fart about with :D
    managed to tidy up the barrel and give it a little touch up on some of the blue, and now its all put together with Ratz sights a good clean.

20120515_114400.jpg 20120515_114451.jpg 20120515_114518.jpg 20120515_114537.jpg 20120515_114605.jpg

Next is to clean, touch up, grease and rebuild the cylinder and trigger then reset the front end.

11. dave ratz

dave ratz Post Whore

Thats coming on really well,glad i could help with the odd bit,the old fella will be pleased...Ratz

12. toytown

toytown Honorary Member

only thing im worried about is it looks like some one in the past has tried to hammer the barrel out in the past coz it looks a bit dented like its had a big bunch over the end. the barrel was very tight and there was a wrinkle on the edge of the notch that the lock screw sits in. think some one has tried to get the barrel of without taking the screw out. the pellet sits in the barrel ok and the rubber seal is still tight.