1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Webley Vulcan

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by fzrandy, Mar 22, 2009.

1. fzrandy

fzrandy Active Member

Hi All After many years using 22 rimfire and shotgun needed an air rifle for clearing some feral pigeons from a barn so picked up a tired Webley vulcan MK1 quite cheaply complete with scratched and peeling varnish on stock and rusty pitted action ..So stripped gun down completly and set about the stock with nitromors and fine wire wool was suprised how well it cleaned up so began to rub mahogony danish oil into it with a soft cloth everynight for nearly 2 weeks rubbing down with soft grade scothbrite between coats . With this underway began work on the action ... piston seal and breech washer all seemed fine unlike the spring which was bent and out of shape so all parts were polished and lubricated with dri-slide and SM50 a new ox mainspring (big Mistake)polished with scothbrite was fitted after quite a struggle to fit cross pin ... Next barrel was cut down to 12" and a weihrauch silencer was bored out to 14.30mm drilled and tapped to fit 4mm grub screw to fit onto barrel ... Thought about having action reblued but after pricing decided against (Cheapskate !) so primed and then sprayed with plastikote gloss black that i had in the shed results were suprisingly good ..With gun back together and 3-9x40 scope fitted time to test fire ....Doh! huge recoil and very harsh and trigger pull very heavy and went on and on and on ...Pulled spring out and cut off 4 coils heating the end over cooker burner until cherry red and bashing on back door step until flat then ground of sharp edges trigger sear was then ground down about 2mm .. back together again and much nicer to shoot but only doing 8.5ft/lb ... back apart again (can do with eyes shut by now) and added a brass piston weight /top hat and got 11.2ft/lb using superdomes and trigger pull was 100 times better bashed and dropped gun to make sure would not accidently fire but everything was fine.... After around half tin of pellets gun has settled nicely and has been very accurate accounting for pigeons and squirells just need to get a bunny now ! last job was to cut piece of 3/4" foam and put under realtree stock cover to make suitable for me to fire (left hander) and thats about it nice rifle for not much money and great fun to shoot ... forgot how much fun air rifles are so much so that got a FAC HW80 as well but thats another story Thanks for reading and check out the pic hope you like it ....Andy
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  2. hughie

hughie Posting Addict

Nice rifle mate . love the finish:)

3. simply james

simply james Banned

very nice my friend

4. halight

halight Busy Member

looks good mate i love the camo

5. simply james

simply james Banned

i nearly bought another one of these tonight,ive had 3 in the past lovely guns

6. baldytommo

baldytommo Busy Member

My first ever airgun. Loved it but kept having to tighten the stock up at least once a week. Very fond memories of my vulcan! Love the job you have done.:up:

7. fzrandy

fzrandy Active Member

Webley Vulcan MK1

Many thanks for the replys ... Glad you like it !Very good gun light and accurate and fun to shoot

8. johnbaz

johnbaz Big Poster

andy- you did a smashing job of refurbishing a great old british gun, it looks fantastic well done mate;)

john:)

9. i8allthepies

i8allthepies Posting Addict

Lovely rifle, but why camo on the stock:confused:
    When you're firing, one side of the stock is covered by your cheek/face, and the other by your forearm ( or do you shoot different from me? ):)

10. fzrandy

fzrandy Active Member

See your point there ! just used that so i can put piece of 1/2" to 3/4" foam underneath to act like the cheek piece on the other side does also raises the top of stock to give better eye alignment with scope . Kit is called Beartooth comb raiser you get the cover plus assorted sizes of foam ... but did'nt use them (kept slipping round anyway) just cut piece of foam about 6" x 6" put taper at each end fixed in position with some tape then put cover over works fantastic for me better head position and much steadier to aim ....Andy

11. Vulcanator

Vulcanator Engaging Member

Nice job. I still have my Mk1 Vulcan which I bought new back in 1980. It still does the business on the critters.

12. i8allthepies

i8allthepies Posting Addict

Yay! Now it makes sense:up: Whenever I fire someone elses rifle, it's head alignment I struggle with. Nice idea:up::)

13. czhey

czhey Member

Hi
    I've got one of these :)
    How do people rate it for hunting against new rifles? Mine is very noisy :(
    I will either buy mine a scope and get it serviced or buy a new gun...

14. Vulcanator

Sounds like a tune kit would be in order. When you state that it's noisy I presume you are referring to the twang of the spring when you fire it. When it comes to power the Vulcan is easily the match of anything new.

Its weakest issue is the trigger and the cylinder forks may exhibit a bit of slop when you move the barrel side to side at the muzzle. This is because the barrel rotates about a pin rather than a bolt. Aside from that it's a cracking gun.

15. czhey

czhey Member

A tune kit? A guess take it to a good local gunsmith? How much money you think it would cost? Yes, the loudest twang i've ever heard! So the powers good, accuracy ok?
    You own one, if it was the only rifle you had (for hunting), would you fix it up or get something newer?

Thanks for the reply.

16. Vulcanator

Chambers (www.gunspares.co.uk) sell a tune kit for about 52 pounds. They also sell a piston seal, breech seal and mainspring for just over 20 pounds. If you have good mechanical aptitude you can install it yourself. Failing that you can take it to a gunshop, I used to live in Basildon, Essex the Airgun Centre in Rayleigh is a good place to go.

The Vulcan is a good rifle, if yours is in good shape twang aside, do the math. If you can do it yourself you'll be ahead rather than spending more money on a newer rifle. Good luck.

17. czhey

czhey Member

Thanks for the advice :) I would usually love taking things apart like that but won't in this case. I'll ring them see what they say

Thanks.

18. BBoy blue

BBoy blue Engaging Member

can you tell me what part of the sear you grounded down???
    also, what parts do you polish? would polishing with autosol polish in the same way?
    how easy was it cutting the barrel down? anything special needed for that part?
    i got an old OX spring thats been in there for years, got slight bow to it though, want to get a titan xs when get the money, dont like the recoil.
    hope you can help me out :D
    matty G

19. godzuki

godzuki Donator

looks well does it shoot straight? i always thought every barrel has been designed to have 1.5 twists so by shortening you can loose its accuracy? nice looking though

20. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

Sounds like you ad a hole lot of fun doing it up and look dam good in the picture.
    Andrew