1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Webley VMX .22

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Lincoln, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Lincoln

Lincoln Engaging Member

Only picked up my "pre owned" Webley VMX the other week. Chap in the shop, after l'd explained what l want the air rifle for (ratting round the farm buildings) said that a Webley VMX .22 would be ideal on the limited budget l was prepared to spend. £120 ... so l bought it and off l went. I mainly use shotgun for my regular shooting, but listening to my mate, and his jollies out with his air rifle, it dawned on me, l was missing a trick. Now he is a serious air gunner. And l was about to dipping my toes in the pneumatic world so to speak. I am a realist and my expectation were low regards the Webley VMX. However, being new to air gunning, l duly took the advice, which l still think is good advice. One of these mate will do the job and its a reasonable starter gun at a starter price. I thought that was fair. Paid the man and orf l went, happily i must add ... What with work, l had no chance to try out my new purchase. I got round to calli g my mate "he owns a couple of Daystates" .. mentioned about pellet selection. He said, hold off buying any. Pop round to his, he has a variety of .22 pellet and he would run a few makes of pellets throught the Webley VMX, decide which are most suitable, having put them through his chrono ... to reaffirm, the previous week, the chap in the shop told me the rifle was approxiamately 12 months old, knocking out 10lb, well capable for what l'd told him l purchased it for ... ratting ... the results were not quite as l'd expected nonetheless ... lowest reading 7.4lb .. best 7.7lb ... well the rifle wasn't a kings ransom and it wasnt new. And there is always the buyer beware theory ... but that aside, 12 months old, tidy in appearance, and mechanically tight "has a newish feel to it my mate commented... lm not sure what to do. Spend a few quid and get it up to a reasonable standard or part exchange it ... not the end of the world either way, but only had it a week lol ... must had fired all of 75 pellets ... cheers

2. bhodge

bhodge Keyboard Hero

My advice...take it back to the place you bought it from. Tell the guy what you've just told us then tell him it's "not what he said it was". Ask for your money back, or, offer to pay a little bit more for something better. He said 10ft.lbs, you checked it at 7.5(ish), that's quite a difference! Finally, ask him to chrono your 'next' gun in your presence before parting with anymore cash.
    Good luck mate.

3. spike589715

spike589715 Busy Member

Hi
    sadly I think this sort of thing happens quite often ...
    I have brought a few guns second hand and I don't think any were close to what was described power wise
    i always buy with the intention of stripping anyway so not really an issue
    I. Your case I would take it back as well under what was described
    keep us posted
    simon

4. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Top Poster

What pellets where you using, strikes me that if your mate is using Daystate PCP's he'll probably be using heavier than normal pellets say 16grn + I would suggest you try some Superdomes or Accupells at 14-14.5grn and run it over the chrono first just to check !!!

Just a suggestion ...

5. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, my .20 WVM was putting out just over 10.5, you could try return and get money back and buy a HATSAN 60 or strip down and re lube and new piston seal, and maybe a tinbum tuning kit off here. £20

6. rynner

rynner Busy Member

hi,i had a vmx and if you can get your money back do.inside they are as rough as rats with swarf and sharp edges every where,i cleaned mine up inside and it shot well until the forward stock screw holes split 500 pellets later,my model was a springer .22, £110 with scope NEW in january,but i think that there is also a gas ram version,its easy with hindsight but mine was the rifle that would put anyone off,they are made in turkey (hatsan?)and the importer obviously doesnt inspect them before selling, looked nice though,good luck and i hope you dont spend any more on it

7. Barry32

Barry32 Active Member

I had the the same problem when I bought my hatsan striker it was running at about 8 or 9 ft1bs I spent £50 it got a slight tune and it improved a bit in velocity not much though.
    My advice is take back or strip it down and do it yourself which is what I wish I had done as the striker which I think is pretty much the same as the webley is easy to work on I added around 3mm of preload and its now around the high 10s low 11ft1bs. Also the tuning kit is a good idea as mentioned above.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  8. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I'd go with the consensus - if it's only doing 7ftlb with appropriate pellets (I find RWS Hobbys and Superdomes are good for chronoing .22 springers) take it back.

It shouldn't have just "lost" 2.5ftlb in the ten minute ride home from the gunshop, so the shopkeeper has evidently had your pants down.

While I applaud your grounded approach, tbh these low-end foreign springers are sometimes fraught with problems and often only of any use if you're reasonably savvy with working on them and are prepared to pull them to bits and put some time in to get them shooting OK.

If you're open to spending a bit more a Weihrauch HW95ks would be great for the job, or even better an Air Arms S410k if you want to push the boat out and go PCP ;)

9. Patrick

Patrick Donator

If the gun was a year old and you paid £120 for it,it was over priced as they're only about £130 brand new.I did have a Hatsan Striker(.177) which mechanically is the same gun virtually, only difference is the stock, and it use to put out consistently 10-10.5 fpe with various pellets and was quite accurate I.E 20 pellets at 10mtrs could be covered by a 5p piece approx.The only thing I did other than lube the pivots was to take the action out of the stock and through the cocking slot put a bit of grease on the spring and a couple of drops lube on the inside of the cylinder

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  10. Lincoln

Lincoln Engaging Member

I paid £120 for the VMX, though l had the scope changed to a Tasco 3-9 x40 .. that all came to £120.

Anyhow, dont own it anymore. Exchanged it for a new SMK B19 plus a new rifle gun slip "lve only got shotgun slips and they wont fasten. Same price .. biggest difference is the VMX is plastic, this is wood. Plus its got more Ooomph ... got to say Tonys Camo were very good imho.

11. rynner

rynner Busy Member

thats a good move,i was planning to try to trade mine in until the plastic split,all the best

12. Patrick

Patrick Donator

I think the stock splitting around the front screw holes is caused by those horrible serrated washers under the screw heads biting into the plastic especially if they're done up very tight,when I had the Striker I replaced them with some flat brass washers.

13. Lincoln

Lincoln Engaging Member

Apparently those screws with star shake proof washers are torqued to 2lbs ft. ... cheers