1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Webley Tempest

Discussion in 'Airgun Reviews' started by Vulcanator, May 31, 2006.

1. Vulcanator

Vulcanator Engaging Member

Greetings everyone, here is my personal review of the Webley Tempest.

I purchased the pistol from Airguns of Arizona in Oct of 2005 after having fond memories of the .22 version I used to have back in the UK in my youth.
    The pistol arrives in a plain cardboard box, upon opening I find the pistol with its owners manual which I found to be very informative. If you have any technical expertise whatsoever the manual tells you how to perform all major maintenance and care for the weapon.

The pistol also came attached with a tag boasting of Webley's 200 year history of gunmaking and another card explaining the proper lubricant's to use. Airguns of Arizona also sent me a letter outlining initial care of my pistol and chronographed the pistol prior to shipping, although the pellet weight was not disclosed the velocity averaged around 465fps.

Examination of the pistol brought back old memories, the pistol is very compact for its power level and the fit and finish was excellent, the only fly in the ointment was that the right grip plate was cracked, a call to Airguns of Arizona had a replacement on its way.

The pistol has fixed sights and a munual safety, the barrel is secured by the famous Webley stirrup design and is most positive in operation. The grips are plastic and feature a thumb rest on the left plate for right handed shooters. As a left hander I replaced the grips with the Beeman wooden "combat grips",a step I highly recommend for all you left handers out there.

I noticed that my pistol's trigger has a wider shoe than the .22 version I had in the past I hoped it would improve the feel of the trigger pull. I adjusted the trigger to the minimum setting and decied to give it a try.

Even with my previous experience with the pistol, the barrel over the cylinder arrangement requires technique to cock the weapon, after some practise I found it not to be an issue. The cocking action new out of the box felt somewhat coarse but with use I expected it to smooth out.

I set up my pellet trap at 6yds and shot a few pellets for group, I was getting about a 1.25" group (sorry-out of practice!). My gun's windage was spot on but the elevation was low, this pistols sight adjustment is by two small screws with lock washer, adjusting the sights was easy and requires a good fitting screwdriver so as not to chew up the screwheads. The sight picture is adequate, my only issue is that the notch on the rearsight could be a bit smaller so as to improve it.

The trigger on the pistol is its weakest point, it is somewhat heavy and the letoff could be more consistant but I feel that a trigger job will improve the feel and reduce the size of the groups, something I plan to do in the future.
    With more practice my groups got better, I shot a 1" group (5 shots) at 15yds, which for me is about the best I will do.

I find the gun very pleasant to shoot, although target shooters will complain of its mild recoil, this due to its piston moving backwards upon firing and producing recoil not unlike a firearm-good for me considering I own and carry firearms.

After putting 6000 pellets through this gun, its has actually got smoother in cocking operation, looks like a new spring will be on order soon. The only problem I encountered during ownership was the link spring, it broke after 4000 pellets. Replacement is straightforward (I remember this happening on my old pistol). I find this pistol to be great for plinking and general target shooting. I can certainly recommend this pistol to anyone who wants a spring/piston weapon that with proper care will last a lifetime.

2. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

Thanks for the review Vulcanator. :)

3. Austin

Austin Well-Known Member

I had been thinking of getting one of those, and tou just sealed the deal. Great review.

4. Vulcanator

Vulcanator Engaging Member

I'm glad you liked the review, when you get the pistol please give post the board with your experience-good shooting.

5. Stocky

Stocky Engaging Member

Memories

This was the air pistol that got me into airguns, i remember the hours of fun me and my grandpa would have with his .22 Tempist, i started at about 7 and by 12 wanted one, finally got a Relum Tornadoe age 16-17 and now have a SMK XS208 with 3-9 X 40 scope and Silencer.

I have alot to thank this amazing air pistol for :)

6. weihrauch hw

weihrauch hw Junior Member

I got one given to me for FREE from this guy I never met at the gun shop. He was getting rid of it, then we was walking in the car to go home, he came running out with the tempest and gave it to me. I was so happy and couldn't stop thanking him :lol:, Great gun, I will never get rid if it, It's very accurate, and I love to shoot it, a lot more fun than other pistols I have shot, at first I found it hard to cock, but then I found a good technique doing it, with out it pinching me. Well made, and great gun :)

7. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

I was given a .22 Tempest by one of my mates a couple years ago. Great little pistol full of character.

We're both very lucky guys .:)

8. weihrauch hw

weihrauch hw Junior Member

Yes we are :D, I felt sorry for the guy though, he really needed the money, then he sold about 7 guns, really nice ones, and got barley any thing from them, they were going to buy the tempest of him for a tenner :O

9. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

good write up, i used one of these years ago and thought they where a great little pistol. Spent many of hour shooting cans, great fun

10. crookesey

crookesey Banned

Well I have had mine for two days, so will report later, everyone appears to speak well of this gun.

11. 4x4

4x4 Engaging Member

Great review. I have one of these which I bought new I think in the late 70s. I wish I could date it cos I can't remember when I bought it; all I remember is going to the Webley sales office in Brum to get it.