1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Webley Raider - barrel/breech misalignment ?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Eh?, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Eh?

Eh? Member

As per thread title, I have a single shot .22 Webley Raider which appears to have a misaligned barrel in relation to the breech block.

So far I have tried two different sets of branded scope mounts, three scopes (Simmons, Bushnell and Leopold), and the silencer has been removed for testing and refitted once it became obvious that removing it made absolutely no difference.

This is what happens:

Zero to 15 yards (approx) and I can get ragged single hole 5 shot groups. At 30 yards (approx) the gun shoots wide and left.

Re-zero at 30 yards and I get 5 shot groups coming in at just under an inch, but at 15 yards I shoot wide and right.

A willing friend has tried the same gun with the same results, so this isn't just me being a gimp :)

Logic tells me that the barrel must be out of alignment to the breech/loading port area, which would explain why I get the wide/right and wide/left behaviour at different ranges/zero.

Question is, what the heck do I do about it ?

This was one of five identical guns all bought at the same time for various customisation projects. It is the last of the five and has long since passed out of warranty, even though it is straight out of the box and has had less than 50 pellets through it.

As an aside it also seems to 'nip' pellets slightly on loading. The probe does not load cleanly - the pellet stops with about two thirds of the skirt visible and requires a bit of manual jiggery pokery to get past whatever is obstructing it (presumably where the barrel mounts into the breech block).

I can get my hands on a fibre-optic camera to check the loading port and rectify the snagging pellet problem, but the misalignment is something else entirely.

Anyone got any suggestions ?

I'm guessing the only viable solution is to either bin the gun, have a gunsmith repair done, or replace the majority of the gun's major parts.

It would be a shame to bin it - I really like the old single shot Raider - it's one of the most pointable and idiot proof guns I know of, but if this is likely to be a cost prohibitive refit then I'll cut my losses now and just buy another gun.

I've steered away from packing the scope mounts on one side purely because:

A: I don't feel I should have to

B: I spend quite a bit on my optics and don't really want to risk killing a decent scope when replacing the rifle is cheaper than replacing the glass...

Thoughts anyone ?

2. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

I would sort out the pellet loading problem first, is the probe pushing the center of the pellet when loading. If something in the barrel is fouling the pellet when loading, then this will no doubt be damaging the pellets. I would shoot the gun low on air and fire some pellets into a bucket of water just so you can see if the pellets are leaving the gun damaged.

3. Eh?

Eh? Member

Thanks, but I've already done that.

As long as I manually feed the pellets they run through clean and undamaged.

If I use the probe to load and seat them, they get 'shaved' slightly on one side of the widest part of the head (using standard RWS Superdomes).

If I use my fingers and 'wiggle' the pellet into position and then seat it with the probe they exit the gun clean.

I don't actually want to mess around with the breech unless I know I can resolve the misalignment. It's a chunk of work that I can avoid doing unnecessarily if there isn't anything I can do for the gun itself to resolve the barrel/breech misalignment.

I hope that makes sense...

4. Andy

If you think the breach is out of alignment then try a new breach, just make sure the barrel is OK first. I here of other users with accuracy problems that they can't seem to cure and they send the gun back to the manufacturer, they come back with a new barrel fitted and all is well.

PS: don't bin the gun, send it to me. ;)

Edit: So what happens to the accuracy if you hand load the gun.

Edit again: make sure your barrel band is not moving.

5. Eh?

Eh? Member

Accuracy remains exactly the same if the gun is hand loaded and goes a little weird if I use the probe on its own without 'wiggling' the pellet into place first. Not good for cold finger days...

Send the gun to you ?

We'll see.

Depends on how much a barrel will be.

There's a BSA Ultra winking at me as well, which isn't helping...

;)

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

Never even thought of that.

I wonder if it either has moved, or if there may be some slight scope for adjustment by using it.

Hmmmm.......

Now you've given me something to think about.

And on a weekday too...

6. Andy

New barrel from chambers is £51.84

Breach block says out of stock so no price listed.

I take it you have tried other pellets. ?

7. Eh?

Eh? Member

Yes, same results with several major brands of .22 pellets (RWS Superdomes, Crossman Premiers, Bisley Superfiled and Magnum, Webley Mosquito etc.,)

I've ruled out every variable I can think of without taking the barrel off. Not much point in doing so without a replacement to test it with :(

I think I'll give Webley a shout tomorrow and ask if they will look at it for me. They should be able to give rough estimates based on the information I supply and if the price isn't too outrageous at least the gun should come back with a batting chance of holding zero at more than one range...

;)

8. Andy

There goes my free gun, :( i was even going to let you pay for the postage as I'm such a generous person. ;)

9. Eh?

Eh? Member

Well, if Webley won't entertain it...

;)

Thanks for your input. Will let you know the outcome.

On the one hand I'd like to see it sorted, because I like these rifles so much, but on the other, it would be the perfect excuse for that BSA...

:p

---------- Post added at 13:53 ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 22:49 ----------

Webley won't quote on the work without seeing the gun.

I described in great detail what the fault was, and even asked for a ball-park based on replacing barrel alone, and also on replacing the entire action, but they won't quote without inspecting the gun.

I'll try a local gunsmith later this week and if I still get no joy the gun will be scrapped :(

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009