1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Webley Patriot Review

Discussion in 'Airgun Reviews' started by Vulcanator, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Vulcanator

Vulcanator Engaging Member

Ladies and gentleman, here's my review of the .22 cal Webley Patriot. My first Patriot was damaged in transit but second times a charm so here we go. It appears that the boys at Webley have made a few modifications to the Patriot , so perhaps they should refer to it as a MK2? All will be covered in my review.

Webley Quality: This has been an issue for some posters on the various airgun forums, I hope to address that also. My frame of reference will be a UK made Beeman Kodiak (rebadged Patriot) & Beeman R1 which I examined carefully at my local gunshop plus, my own 28yr old Vulcan-sorry guys but as you can see I don't own a lot of airguns.

The Box: The rifle is packed in a blue cardboard box bearing the new Webley logo and a picture of a Webley Raider, I thought they sent me the wrong gun but on the side of the box it lists all the current rifles with a tick mark next to model name "ala" Patriot-phew! The rifle is packed inside the box in a plastic bag and mounted at each end are pieces of preformed expanded polystyrene, I consider this unsatisfactory because they should pack the rifle in one piece expanded polystyrene to better protect the rifle-a factor in why my first one arrived with a broken stock. My second rifle arrived with a damaged box but fortunately the rifle survived. Also enclosed is a generic manual (pamphlet) that covers basic care of the gun, this manual is used for all Turkish Webley's, most regretful that Webley doesn't see fit to still enclose the owners manual of yesteryear which were by far the best in the business, fortunately old Webley manuals are available on the internet.

Let's get down to business, taking the rifle out of the box I also discovered that Webley supply a separate scope stop as standard in a small plastic bag with a supplied allen key-very thoughtful of them considering the guns reputation regarding scopes.

The Woodwork: My MK2 Patriot has a Beech stock that is stained a dark brown, this differs from the reddish brown of the UK and early Turkish Patriots. The stain is evenly applied and the stock is finished to a matte finish-which for me is a personal preference, UK Patriot's have a bit more of a glossy finish. Starting from the butt, we now have a brown ventilated rubber butt pad interspersed with a black and white spacer, the fit to the wood if excellent. The stock is also pre-drilled for the attachment of a sling swivel and capped off with a screw, the pistol grip dispenses with the black and white spacer of previous Patriot's but has the new Webley logo etched on the bottom, there is machined chequering on the pistol grip which is evenly applied and improves tactile feel. Moving to the fore-end I can see Webley has re-designed how the stock is attached to the metalwork using what appears to me more substantial hardware to a U-shaped bracket welded to the bottom of the cylinder. However, this will not relieve you of checking the tightness of the screws during use. Overall the woodwork is finished to a very good standard.

The Metalwork: As with all post UK Webley's we have laser etching instead of stampings for the model name and other manufacturers information, this is done in a gold colour. The model name is on the left rear of the cylinder and the lamentable liability codswollop on the opposite side which surround the greatest change on the MK2 being the 6&3/4" picatinny type rail on top of the cylinder in place of scope rails. This is a solid piece of machined steel which has holes pre-drilled in two places to accept scope mounts with a stop pin, it looks like the design will give you many options regarding your scope mount or sight choice. As for me I intend to use open sights for now.

Let's get to the nitty gritty of the cylinder finish and bluing quality. The cylinder is polished to a high standard, in terms of the polish marks it's slight better than my Vulcan. The bluing itself is very dark and uniformly applied and the finish has a definite luster to it and surpasses the standard of bluing of the earlier Turkish models. As good as the bluing is, it's not as lustrous as the UK Patriot I examined a couple of years ago-but it's not far off. The Barrel is finished to the same standard as the cylinder, but the most noticeable change being at the muzzle where the barrel flares for muzzle weight. The front of the barrel has two grooves cut in it and the screw cap for a silencer has been dispensed with. What they have done is turned down the end of the barrel and pressed on a one piece foresight unit with hood made of a high impact plastic with a matte finish (to reduce glare).

The Sights: The MK1 Patriot's had all metal sights the rear sight being epoxy finished and adjustable by screwdriver. We now have a sights made of a high impact plastic material and are of the True-Glo design which have inserts that give you a more distinct sight picture with a red dot on the foresight surrounded by two red dots on the rear sight. As an aside the notch and the blade of the sight give a good sight picture also and unlike earlier Patriots incorporate thumb wheels to allow adjustment by hand-an improvement indeed. I don't see why these sights should not hold up to normal use, just as my sights have on my Vulcan after 28yrs.

The Trigger: Now gold plated and is slightly straighter compared to the Mk1 Patriot, it's also ribbed to improve feel. I'm not into having "bling" on my guns! The trigger is a two stage affair adjustable only for length of pull, the second stage I estimate at about 4-5-lbs, adequate for hunting. The trigger housing has been completely re-designed and looks as though it's possible to remove it from the cylinder as a unit.

Handling: Weighing 9lbs this is a substantial rifle, similar to the heft of a HW80, as with any gun it comes down to personal preference, if you're going hunting, fitting sling swivels should be on your to-do list. The barrel requires a good slap to unlatch then you have to overcome about 50lbs of cocking effort to make the sear and automatic safety engage. I detected no coarseness when cocking. The safety is located at the rear of the cylinder and is a large button that is ambidextrous in operation which as a left hander is a good feature. Unfortunately once cocked you cannot pop the safety off and hold the barrel under restraint to de-cock.

Shooting: After cocking the rifle I used Beeman Kodiak Pellets to help run it in, these pellets require a push to seat them in the barrel-unlike my Vulcan. After pushing off the safety it's time to shoot. The firing cycle revealed no twang, the recoil is more apparent than my Vulcan but not too bad. The report on firing is louder though and will be noticed by neighbours in an urban setting.

Using the open sights I zeroed for 25yds, as with any springer it's all about technique and this rifle demands it. I'm getting about 1-1.5" groups firing 10 shots with some flyers. I don't consider this bad because the rifle is still dieseling and settling down and I'm still on a learning curve. I need to work on my hold but I can see that with perseverance the rifle will deliver the goods-in fact I "bloodied" it today courtesy of a squirrel that had the misfortune to enter my yard!

I don't have a chronograph so I can't give you any numbers, when I do I'll update with my findings. Overall we're dealing with a rifle designed for hunting or pest control, in that regards it more than does the job. If you wish to plink with it you will get a workout! About that quality issue. I can definitely see improvement in the quality of the current Webley rifles, the woodwork has achieved parity and the metalwork is almost there. I think given more time the Turks should be able to match the bluing of the fabled Birmingham Webley.

2. simply james

simply james Banned

nice review mate.

3. sharpshooterpete

sharpshooterpete Donator

i agree, very good mate:up:

4. Vulcanator

Thank you gents, I posted the same review on another forum with another post showing pictures of said rifle. I'm a bit of a moron when it comes to computers so my wife only had the time to post them on that site.

5. dax

dax Newbie

hi vulcanator,i have webly vulcan 22 i spotted it in the back of a freinds shed it has been neglected,the stock needs a revarnish. the blueing needs attention,and where the barrel breaks it is favouring one side a little, their is no play in it,but i was wondering if it had been dropped at some point as the pellets are all over the shop,i had to shim the scope just to get it on the paper, it also has a safety on it,although it has had little use the barrel bore was rust free.the pellets he gave me with it were marksman and looked as old as the gun infact they looked like they had been made on a blacksmiths anvil.after putting a few shots though it i took to it right away,it has a hell of a jolt when fired.although the pellets where crap i spent most of the afternoon trying to get them to group,i was told on another forum that it is probably 20 years old,i am hoping that i can aquire it so that i can do it up as a project,i don`t want to waste money so any info would be welcome.
    bet regards
    dax.

6. Vulcanator

If the gun is 20yrs old and hasn't been used that much then it probably needs servicing. I regards to accuracy issues check the following, check the foresight and rearsights are tightened, check the stock screws are tight. The marking on the breech block barrel is typical and depends on if the owner is right or left handed.

Go to www.gunspares.co.uk they sell a tune kit for about 60 GBP that includes all the seals and lubes plus instructions. When installing the piston into the cylinder with its new seal on be very careful as the lips of the seal can be nicked against the holes and slots in the cylinder, use a screwdriver to depress the lips of the seal as you pass over said slots and holes.

Get some good pellets, I like H&N FTT and then try for group again. My Vulcan is about 28yrs old and I can group it 1" 10 shots at 25yds, open sights. Good luck with the project.

7. simply james

simply james Banned

get it a good service mate

8. 12BoreMax=P

12BoreMax=P Posting Addict

good review mate :up: