1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Webley Nemesis Breech Seal Info required Please.

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by stevekane, Jan 29, 2014.

1. stevekane

stevekane Active Member

Hello, weve just bought a Webley Nemesis (177) which looks to be in good condition but on trying to fire its second pellet we found that the Pellet was still sitting in the breech and the Breech Seal was no longer to be seen,,,was it there at all?,,,well Im not so familiar with air guns to immediately spot somthing like this and my guess is that it probably was not. Looking on the internet I see seals being advertised at almost £5.00 (perhaps more with postage!) for what looks like a simple O-Ring,,does anyone know if I can buy and fit a regular o-ring from our local bearing shop or are they really a special £5 jobbie?
    Steve (and a rather disapointed grandson!)

2. appinpar68

appinpar68 Engaging Member

I believe standard nitrite O rings work just as well in these SSP Pistols - I have a box of Nitrite O rings I got a while ago - if you can find out the size needed I can post you one that should fit. I bought these a while ago , as I was fed up paying over the odds for what are effectively plummers seals

Appinpar68

Just looking on the john Knibbs website and he has 2 sizes for the Nemisis breech seal

old nemesis seal 8mm
    New Nemesis seal 9.5mm

I will have a look and see what sizes I have as you are welcome to try them

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  3. stevekane

stevekane Active Member

Hello and many thanks for your kind offer,,its rather too late for a proper reply, and I will post again tommorow when Ive had a chance to measure up,,,but I might be able to pick up one at our local bearing shop,,,more to follow!
    ATB
    Steve.

4. stevekane

stevekane Active Member

Hello again Appinpar and once again many thanks for taking the trouble to write, well this eveing I have had a look at both BS Standard O-Rings and also at the Nemisis, one intresting thing Ive discovered is that whilst the Air Gun Parts Suppliers all specify the seals by their O/D (outside Dia) it seems that the industry standard is to size O-rings by the I/D and to also state the material thickness. So to take the Nemesis as an example the Breech Seal is given as you say, either 8mm or 9.5mm,,but looking at either Metric or English Sizes there is no O-Ring that I can see that matches these sizes. Ive not tried to check out the 8mm variety as ours is Im sure 9.5 (ish!) and the options Ive got are BS010 6.07mmI/D plus 2x 1.78mm Thickness, making up a total O/D of 9.63, close enough to 9.5 if the actual rubber size of 1.78mm suits the groove it has to sit in, or BS106; 4.42mmI/D plus 2x 2.62mm, total O/D 9.66mm. Looking at the groove I tend to think that the 1.78mm is more likly too suit. Tommorow I will walk the dog up to the local Bearing Supplier and see if he has either of these sizes and report back.
    I hope I have not given you a headache with all these figures,,but I would be surprised if Webley had gone off and had their own oddball sized special seals made when they had readily available ones available?
    Steve.

5. appinpar68

appinpar68 Engaging Member

Hi Steve
    I have had a look in my O ring assortment and the nearest sized O ring is an R02 (Size I/D 3/16) it is silghtly thinner than the original Nemesis O ring which is a bit thicker, but looks about the right fit - no idea if thickness make a difference. If you have no luck sourcing a suitable ring give us a shout and you can always give this one a try

Graeme

6. stevekane

stevekane Active Member

Many thanks indeed for that generous offer Graeme,its much appriciated. However I think Ive managed to pick up one that sounds to be the same fit as your one might be, our local bearing shop had both the thin and thicker varieties, and its odd but I think that whilst the thin one fits into the groove it sits almost flush with the face and and looks like it might be too thin and I suspect is not offering much of a seal?? whilst the thicker o-rings do not fit,,I wonder what the fit of an original Breech O-Ring is like?,,,there are of course other "standard" O-ring sizes but I think these are not the ones you find in the selection boxes,,perhaps its one of those that Webley fitted? Anyway this afternoon my grandson came over and we fitted the seal and then tried to reset the barrel, we then discovered that the front Grub Screw was loose and the two phillips screws badly mangled, but I felt the barrel slip back once I had managed to loosen them and the pistol now seems to fire okay. Hopefully tomorrow I will remove one of the mangled screws and see if its possible to renew them,,I wonder if they are those course threaded screws that is often used in Plastics, a bit like a mini chipboard screw?, either way I will need to replace the as trying to nip them up is very difficult as your having to put so much pressure onto the screw to get a bite on it it then hard to know how tight it is!
    Lastly, our initial impression was that the gun fires too low and the get it on target the rear sight is wound up quite a way,,,would that be normal or are there other adjustments we can do?
    Steve.

7. stevekane

stevekane Active Member

Hello Graeme, I thought I would post just a quick note to update you on how were getting on, of course with everything flooded and the garden waterlogged there has been no chance to do any shooting as such. The intresting thing is that John Knibbs International were happy to swop over the small Breech Seal the chap I bought the gun from had ordered up for me, and this morning the correct seal arrived and as far as I can see its the same size in every respect to the one the guy at the bearing shop gave me from his standard "selection box" and given its purpose I doubt that the material its made of would be of any great significance? But a great service from John Knibbs who Ive used before for our Meteor Refurb, and I would be happy recomend them for spares.
    From an exploded diagram I found on the internet I see that the pair of barrel retaining screws are machine screws, so I will look into replaceing these next. Then its look at the rear sight, one side is broken although it all works fine, and then allow him to get some practice in,,,if it ever stops raining!!