1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Water / condensation in gauge?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Tatts, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

What's the quickest and easiest way to sort this? I bought a cylinder that I was told leaked out of the fill probe and if you left a dust cap in it, it was difficult to remove as it became pressurised. I drained it off and filled with a bottle hoping it would reseat the washer. I put in a jug of water and nothing. I have left it fully charged for 3 days with a dust plug, it wasn't pressurised and didn't lose any pressure so I'm guessing it's not leaking.
    The problem I have now is a gauge that is steamed up :(

[​IMG]

2. mick 1986

mick 1986 Keyboard Hero

Really, you should empty it, and strip it. Drying everything as you go. Then refill.

3. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

The area that's steamed up is separate to the pressurised system so you don't necessarily have a water problem inside the gun.
    You need to strip down the gauge & dry it, but I don't know how strippable those little gauges are. Try to back off the outer sleeve at least until the front lens is loose then put it into a bag of dried rice for a week.
    While it's out you need to double check there's no water actually in the compression tube, or the valve assembly & regulator if you've got one fitted - I'd gues not, but I'd definitely make sure.

4. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

I used it in the gun a few times before tuning my 100 and there was definitely no water in the gun and when I drain the cylinder no water comes out so I'm guessing it's just the gauge (which looks to be seperate) but sure if/how to remove it.

5. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

In retrospect, looking at the photos, is that a separate cover over the gauge? Maybe there isn't anything in the gauge itself, you've got condensation inside double glazing....

6. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

Yes it's just in the outer cover. I'm guessing the seal wasn't the best as when I did it it had 3 water droplets in it, I left it somewhere warm for the last 2 days and it's turned into condensation.

7. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

The gauge is separate to the cover. It's likely that the previous owner has had it in the rain, or popped that end of the cylinder in water to check for leaks.

The gauge is removeable, but requires that end of the cylinder to be unscrewed from the tube first. Removal of the gauge is then accessible by the allen key hole in the gauge stem from the inside (what would be the pressurised end) the endcap.

You can get replacement covers, and they just press-fit into the endcap. Unfortunately i don't know how to remove the gauge cover, but you could try if you have a small suction cup small enough to cover it, then pull it from the endcap.

8. mick 1986

mick 1986 Keyboard Hero

If the gauge is separate, I would still remove the pressure before messing with it. Then remove the front cover and stick the gauge in some desiccant. One of the small silica gel packs will get rid of that moisture in a couple of hours.

9. mick 1986

mick 1986 Keyboard Hero

If it's got in from something you have done, like stick it in water to leak test, then cover the gauge with several sachets of the silica gel. That will draw the moisture out of the gauge.

10. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

lol no one read my post :p:D It came free with my gun as it was leaking so I put the gauge end in a jug of water to find no leak.

11. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Water wouldn't get into a pressurised cylinder but the gauge is at atmosheric pessure so water could seep in. You might get rid of most of it by putting it into rice or silica gel in a warm place for as long as you can manage but I think it's unlikely that you'll get it all out. If the gauge front cover is plastic you could drill a small (1mm) hole in it before trying to dry it and then seal the hole with silicone or similar. When you're doing this keep it gauge down in the drying agent to stop any water getting into the works, it's not going to do any harm but it does make reading the gauge a bit difficult.

12. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

Nice one. I'm going away for 3 weeks on thursday so I will leave it in some rice while I'm gone. I emptied all the air out and it seems dry to me, I'll put some back in it before I leave it?
    I can't find any info on removing the plastic cover except for removing the gauge itself which involves stripping the cylinder. A new gauge is £75 so I would like to avoid this :p

13. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

Finally got back yesterday and the gauge is dry. Bad news is there was only 50 bar in it when I left it with 100. No problem, filled it to 100 bar again last night before bed and it's down to 60 bar this morning and I can hear air coming out from were the fill probe goes :confused:

14. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

If you have the de-gas tool, empty it, and then give it a short quick blast of air. Hopefully this will dislodge whatever is causing it to leak. Worth a try, but must be done from empty just incase of accidental overfilling when you do this

15. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

Already emptied it but don't have access to a bottle until wednesday. Is it easy to change the seal in there? It's been treated roughly which is clear to see (grooves from the fill probe) and as it is tempramental (leaks then doesn't then does etc) so I am guessing it will happen again.

16. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

I'm not sure i'm afraid, never done one before. There was a guide on HW100Tuning.co.uk but it requires a password to access it unfortunately. It involves using a 36mm socket to remove the valve end, and an 8mm bar to remove the filler end.