1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Warning motorist

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by Pavarotti, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Pavarotti

Pavarotti Engaging Member

Following on from the "unbelievable" thread about vagrants you may be interested and indeed warned of the police stance in Wales.

In the local paper it says that if you are caught flashing a warning to other motorist approaching a mobile speed camera you will be done by police for obstruction and end up in court .

While I am all for catching out of control speed freak yobs and drunks driving over the speed limit I am a bit uneasy with the attitude the police are taking. It's just a wee bit draconian. Yes I now 31mph is one mile over the limit but I can't help thinking there's another agenda here, probably a financial one

I'd be interested in your views.

2. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

They've had it in for bikers for years.

3. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

It's a bit inconsistent really....

Mobile camera/operator - 30mph + 10% (3mph) + 5mph (total 38mph) equals a secure conviction (I know this is local policy as I was stopped doing 37 in a 30 and 1mph more meant a conviction... phew!!)

Static camera - Gatso, Truvelo, Specs - 31 mph in a 30 = conviction (family member been done by fixed camera at 31 mph while in a funeral procession (wonder if the hearse driver was done too)

4. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

The problem with this is that vehicles speedometers all run approx 10% fast, so if your showing 30 on the clock you will be doing approx 27, if you use a sat nav you will see the difference. The police and authorities know this and so if the camera catches you at 31 your speedo will have been showing approx 34/35.

5. sneakysniper

sneakysniper Donator

I find the getting done for warning others part is a bit rich, considering they reckon the cameras are there to prevent speeding.
    I rang them up once to ask about the cameras on my way to work. On one stretch of road there were 3 static cameras and the day i rang up there was also a mobile camera on a bike. Now this is on a stretch of road less than half a mile long!

Ok maybe it's a dangerous road? = NO
    Recent accident/fatality? = NO

They couldn't explain why it was so heavily monitored, however it is a VERY busy road traffic wise and in a very affluent area with plenty of signs up stating "vote such and such a Tory MP" in all the gardens during election times. Makes you think..

6. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

Just found three new static cameras on A1 (just before the 406) on crosses (!)
    It was really done for cash pumping, not for safety.

7. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

This was in the news some time ago. They have to catch you at it though and lets face it we're either well ahead of or well passed the cam van when we do our flashing.

If you're that worried about flashing your lights there's always the gentle flapping with your arm out the window that I've seen some older people do. I think it's the same sign as cyclists are meant to make if they are slowing down and about to take a turn.

8. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Exceeding the speed limit by as little as 1 mph is an offence but the ACPO guidelines for speed enforcement set the threshold at 10% (of the posted limit) + 2 mph which is 35 mph in a 30 limit. Generally there is now a band above this threshold where a speed awareness course will be offered if the driver has not recently attended one. All speed cameras whether mobile or fixed will be set to the same threshold in any particular force area. Traffic officers in cars may use this as a guide but will usually take other factors into consideration when dealing with speeders, attitude and general driving standards can make a big difference to the officers decision.
    Anyone who is prosecuted at a speed lower than the ACPO threshold should ask why this has happened although it is good practice and makes sense to drive within the limit to ensure that you don't get into trouble.
    The police force will probably get a proportion of the fee for a speed awareness course but all income from fixed penalty notices and court fines goes directly to the Treasury although the courts have to impose a surcharge which goes towards victims of crime.

9. sneakysniper

sneakysniper Donator

Not sure if this is one of those urban legends, although i did actually here it from a serving cop and he reckons if the speeding fine letter "never arrives" and you don't receive it within 14 days of the offence, then it can be disputed/written off.

10. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

The offence for warning oncoming drivers of a speed trap has always been in force. A friend was done for it many years ago.

11. Pavarotti

Pavarotti Engaging Member

I'm still uneasy about it. You could argue that you were in fact helping prevent a crime so why are you being done. Is it that the police have to justify what they are doing particularly as stated about cameras on a safe stretch of road.

There is the financial element as said.

There is perhaps another point. Various statistics show that crime is falling. Are mobile cameras a way of the police justifying to their political masters their very existence?

12. Count Jedi

Count Jedi Donator

I have heard something very similar also.

13. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

It's 17 days, 14 days + 3 to allow for delivery of the NIP (notification of intended prosecution)

You would be surprised at how effective fitting a camera into your vehicle recording your own driving is at reducing your speed, I rarely drive over the posted limit now I have my iPhone fitted with iSymDVR software showing a whole range of GPS data on it.

It paid off nicely on 18th April when a motorist pulled out from a side road and resulted in me T-boning her in my van, she had no choice but to put her hands up and admit liability instantly, unfortunately due to my low speed (27mph) the airbag didn't deploy so my shoulder took the full wrath of the seatbelt, could have been a lot worse, had the whole family in the vehicle with me including a wheelchair user.... the camera is a great reason not to drive fast, dangerously or inconsiderately as it could incriminate you!

14. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

The Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) has to be 'served' within 14 days, in law it is deemed to have been served if it was posted by first class post so that it would normally arrive within 14 days. It doesn't matter if you're on a month holiday or have moved house etc or if you claim that you didn't receive it because the dog must have eaten it it's still been served and the process will carry on.

15. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

They tried to do me donkey's years ago when driving a friend's old Honda ... reckoned i was trying to warn other drivers and proceeded to read the riot act to me about being irresponsible as apart from being illegal it could cause accidents blah blah blah ... other copper was wondering why I was so quiet and seemingly cooperative until I explained that it was a friend's car and had got momentarily confused between the indicators and lights ???? On the Honda, the controls were a*se about face with indicator on right ... still didn't believe me, but had to give benefit of the doubt and were definitely going to nick me otherwise. I am obviously as white as the driven snow and would never have flashed the oncoming motorists to make them aware of the money grabbing set of b'stads up ahead :rolleyes: