1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Warming Co2 Cartridges

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by talyllyn, Oct 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. talyllyn

talyllyn Engaging Member

Does warming CO2 cartridges actually make any difference?

I've tried starting off with slightly warm cartridges (jeans pocket for 15 mins) but never really noticed much difference in performance to when I use one straight out of the box.
    I don't understand the physics of what is going on inside the gun but I think as soon as a couple of shots have been fired the cooling effect of the CO2 evaporating negates any advantage of starting warm.
    I don't have a chrono so can't do any "scientific" testing.

Interested to hear other peoples views.

Reevo17 likes this.
  2. Headhunter

Headhunter Engaging Member

You're correct in your assumption, the only benefit is the first couple of shots, after that the CO2 gas stabilises backs to it's norm. Tried it out myself and chrono'ed the results, truth is that their is no real benefit as an increase in pressure (through warming the CO2) changes the pellets point of impact. I have found that the consistency of the velocity is the key to accurate shooting.

Reevo17 likes this.
  3. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

No benefit other than people giving you funny looks as you walk along making a funny jangling noise :D

Redcap 114 and Reevo17 like this.
  4. Shocker

Shocker Engaging Member

Warm them up with a gas blow torch and you’ll find your first pellet comes out about 54ftlb lol
    Only kidding I’ve never Done that :thumb:

5. Brewie

Brewie Well-Known Member

Think if you did that there may be a rather big bang!!!

6. Shocker

Shocker Engaging Member

a Big Bang or a hole through your head as it takes off like a rocket
    Reminds me of the time I thought a capsule was empty but it was frozen
    I took of the cap to get the capsule out and it didn’t move
    So I thought it’d defo empty as no gas was coming out but the capsule was jammed in with some frost and as I laid the pistol down it decided to defrost a little and shoot out like a missle
    Nearly went through my shed wall
    So after that I learned to respect co2 caplets
    They are dangerous and should not be played with

Redcap 114 and Brewie like this.
  7. Brewie

Brewie Well-Known Member

Yes I suppose could be nasty little S##S!!!!!!

8. sagalout

sagalout All the kit still ....

Damn, just as I was starting to like walking round with metal cylinders in me pocket :oops:

Redcap 114 likes this.
  9. flatrajectory

flatrajectory Posting Addict

Warming the cylinders is not a good idea, what you need to do is warm the pistol/ rifle that you are using. This will improve power but only for the first few shots unt thegun cools down again.

Pete.

10. Reevo17

Reevo17 Big Poster

I tried the reverse once and put mine in the fridge over night....

Power on my 2250 dropped 1ftlb vs 25 degrees summer day but gave so much better consistency

Just shoot and enjoy mate, real world POI drop isn’t that noticeable until at the end of the co2

11. talyllyn

talyllyn Engaging Member

I'm glad everyone has confirmed what I thought all along.
    The suggestion of warming the cartridges seems to crop up quite frequently.

Cheers
    Don

Redcap 114 likes this.
  12. Maxxxxx

Maxxxxx Member

never try to warming the cartridge,I think it will explode:ooops:

13. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, in winter i kept mine in a small bag with an inside pocket for a hand warmer

14. CaptDAR

CaptDAR Engaging Member

Doesn’t make much of a noticeable difference. Better just having the pistol at room temp. I’m outside this morning with my Webley MKVI at zero ambient and shot 90 pellets until empty and only a couple less than usual. Power was still good enough to punch thick cardboard at 11 yards until the end.

Headhunter likes this.
  15. Wild Bill

Wild Bill co2 Enthusiast and Wild West fan.

Yep I have to agree. It makes no discernible difference. :thumb:

Headhunter likes this.
  16. Headhunter

Headhunter Engaging Member

Totally agree with you on this subject ! I have even seen videos on youtube of people firing CO2 pistols in two feet of snow in the wilds of the Canadian outback, I wouldn't suggest doing it but it just goes to show that they perform even in sub-zero temperatures. Personally I think that pre-warming CO2, either in the pocket or by any other means, is only good for the first couple of shots anyway because of it's normal cooling nature once you start to use it, any increases in fps are only seen in the first few shots, after that it reverts back to it's normal ambient temperature to shooting speed relationship.
    An interesting factoid about CO2, at normal pressures it can only exist in two states, that being a solid or a gas, it can only become a liquid if it is under pressure (eg. as a pressurised CO2 caplet that we commonly use in CO2 handguns), so your only concern when using CO2 is when you get near its freezing point which is -78C, which I believe is only possible in one or two places on the whole of planet earth (Vostok, in Russia and in the Antartic), so unless you plan on shooting in either of those two places then I would say that you are fine and dandy to keep plinking away in your wintry back garden where you maybe losing just a few fps and dropping a couple of shots per CO2 cylinder compared to the height of summer shooting scenarios.

Dennyboy, Wild Bill and CaptDAR like this.