1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Scopes Want to change- Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by PhoenixElite, May 23, 2014.

1. PhoenixElite

PhoenixElite Engaging Member

Today I decided my AA S510 is wayyy to heavy.. everyone who shoots it complains :( And yes its the superlite version to! I believe this is mainly my scope being so chunky, as I have stripped off the silencer, and the 9-13 swivel bipod, but added a sling and its still over my ideal weight.

My scope is a Hawke Eclipse 30SF IR 4-16x50 it weighs a hefty 800grams!

View attachment 96861

Important feature to me are side focus, map6a or half mil recticle, light weight and light entry near dusk

curious to opinions on 50/44/40 and also fixed focus at say 10x-does it make it lighter?

Actually if anyone wants a swap, Im open to suggestions as well.. (as new value £220)

Regards -Jon

2. Panther

Panther Donator

Hi,
    I love my Bushnell 4.5-14x44 legend ultra HD a little more than your current budget but worth every penny.

3. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

4. ratharvester

ratharvester Donator

I'm in the same boat looking for a sf,lightish hunting scope with ilum ret, going to get a mtc viper connect 3-12x32 with amd reticle.I could be wrong but I think it'll do my job nicely.Will keep my 6-24x56 nikko nighteater tho just for long range plinking lol.

5. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I'm tempted to say that this may be the best option http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-Of-Weights-/171338021143?pt=UK_Strength_Training&hash=item27e48ab917
    If you're going to get a scope which is significantly lighter than your current one then you're going to have to make some sacrifices. Features like zoom, side focus and big objective lenses with high magnification all add weight.
    Hawke have cut back on their range of multi aim point reticles so you probably won't find the combination you want unless you go for used.
    A fixed magnification scope such as a 4x40 will be light and it should be in focus for nearly all of air rifle ranges or could be re-parallaxed to suit but it may not be easy to find one with a MAP although they do exist but will probably be mil dots. Mind you at low magnification the holdover required (in mil dots) is quite low anyway. There are some 10x fixed power scopes about, that's the standard power for mil dot use and is also (I think) used for HFT shooting.
    You'll have to decide what features you can do without.

6. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, i think Air Arms need to go back to school, AA S510 standard rifle 2.9kg 6.4llb then the same model advertised as super-lite ???? 2.9kg 6.4llb as in the airgun buyers guide, would that be a consumer ploy or just plain daft:rolleyes: kens advice on the varmit might be suitable or panthers but if you only go hunting you might find an ezfield jack pike hunter jacket/rifle rest kit help about £80 which i use for night hunting and a FX T12 plus n/v.

View attachment 96861

Important feature to me are side focus, map6a or half mil recticle, light weight and light entry near dusk

curious to opinions on 50/44/40 and also fixed focus at say 10x-does it make it lighter?

Actually if anyone wants a swap, Im open to suggestions as well.. (as new value £220)

Regards -Jon[/QUOTE]

7. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

You might struggle with a swap for yours at that value, they are now discontinued and the last ones sold off at £190.

8. Tim_B

Tim_B Major Poster

Hi Jon,

I know this isn't on your list but I have a couple of Prostaffs - 3-9x40 BDC and a 4-12x40 Mildot. They aren't AO but they are a great scope once they are re-parallaxed. There is of course the mamba lites as well which is SF but no IR - I personally like them although the prostaffs are better in low light.

Just let me know if you want to have a look at them etc and I can run them up to you (not the mamba as its on my HW, although you could shoot it of course).

Cheers
    Tim

9. Ronnieman

Ronnieman Engaging Member

Bushnell legend form me mate, quality glass, so good in low light.

10. Davy-Kelly

Davy-Kelly Donator

I've just bought a FFP (First Focal Plane) Falcon Optics Menace 5.5-25x50. It's great because no matter what zoom you are on the mil dots represent the same MOA (minute of angle).

11. Seanalf

Seanalf Engaging Member

I've just mounted an MTC Viper 10x44 onto my HW100, great scope and not too heavy, on my S410, I have a BSA Dearstalker 8-32x44. That has side focus, holds zero well and is not heavy either. Picked that up second hand for £45. Glass is good as long as you don't go too far beyond 26mag.

12. mr mcgoo

mr mcgoo Engaging Member

I've had the. Pier 10x44 and now have the hawke sidewinder tac 10x42 .awesome all round scope and comes with side focus and half mil dots. Managed to get mine from veils fishing tackle 155 delivered ;) bargain I thought. Really good in any light conditions to

13. 177

177 Donator

I am always amazed whenever these threads come up how many people say to buy what they have whether it fits the brief or not.

A lighter scope is required, so there really doesn't seem to be much point in suggesting significantly heavier ones...

The problem is the overall brief is borderline impossible to meet in full.

The moment you say you want good low light performance that means Nikon Prostaff or Vortex Diamondback. Nothing (and I mean nothing) comes close unless you look at spending close on £400 or more.

Trouble is, they don't have side focus, or the ret you want.

I think you are going to have to seriously sacrifice at least some of your wish list.

Make your mind up which priorities are the most important.

The majority of great low-light scopes suitable for air rifles that don't cost silly money have a plain plex ret, mil dot or BDC

If you can live with less low light performance you can include the ret options you like and perhaps side focus as well on the same unit.

The Bushnell Legend Ultra HD scopes offer side focus down to air rifle range and they have excellent low light performance, but they don't come in the ret you want.

I place low light performance and low weight over other priorities so I use the Nikon Prostaff at under half the weight of your current scope. I also use Vortex Diamondback and Bushnell Legend Ultra HD for the same reasons. Some of my Legends are fixed mag plain ret scopes and I can knock nails in with them, so ask yourself what do you need versus what do you want.

None of my air rifle scopes have side focus or the ret you want but I can still hunt long after most other scopes have given it up as a bad job. A good half hour after the likes of Hawke Panorama and most MTC scopes I've tried, I can still be head shooting rabbits and pigeons :)

Make your mind up which of your priorities are the most important and start shortlisting based on that.

I'll end with this - every time I have my guns at the range and let others use them, they always comment on the clarity, bright sight picture and fine reticle of my scopes. At 30 yards I use map pins or pellet holes as targets, even with my springers, but you will find that not all scopes at lower mag can even 'see' a pellet hole or map pin head without having to zoom right in. Most of them cover such a small target completely with their thicker ret.

All scopes are a trade-off of features, so figure out which ones are the most vital to you and go from there.

Your rig is anything but heavy though - if you can hit what you aim at with it, think carefully before moving things around because every time you sell on you make a loss and end up spending more to replace what you already have.

Welcome to air rifle shooting :rolleyes:

:)

14. PhoenixElite

PhoenixElite Engaging Member

wow thanks for all the help guys, you have suggested scopes I havent even heard of so I will looking them up!

Tim, cheers for the offer might take you up on that in a week or 2, we need to get you back out to the farm as well, rabbits running rampant! I also picked up another golfcourse permission haha almost to many now!

177, you make some very valid points! I really dont like my recticle because of the chunky lines and centre dot now after using my mates fine line map6a..

So i NEED lighter than 600grams-44 or 40 not 50- fine line recticle thats not to complicated-low light performance
    and i WANT -IR-SF-sun shade-map6a

And dont know about fixed 10x :)

but I will be looking at all the scopes suggested cheers boys and girls!

15. Tim_B

Tim_B Major Poster

Thanks Jon - I don't know how you do it as I have only a small permission but struggle to get the time to go out there....although it is restricted to evening/night shooting. Well done on the new golf course as well :up:

For the Prostaffs, they only fulfil your needs, not your wants. I will weigh them just to make sure. The BDC reticle is good has it has the hollow circles, so it doesn't disrupt the view too much. The mil dot is pretty thin.

Hope the little one is doing ok and your not having too many sleepless nights.
    Cheers
    Tim