1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Walther Winchester Vs Umarex Cowboy Rifle

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by Headhunter, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Headhunter

Headhunter Never enough shell loading Revolvers

Now before anybody starts giving me grief, I know that I have asked for advice about a rifle in the pistol section but as most owners of these rifles are probably going to be 'avid' members of the pistol forum rather than followers of the regular air rifle threads and it's CO2 powered the same as most, if not all of the replica airguns. Explanation over, moving forward.....

I know that there are quite a few forum members that own a Winchester, @CaptDAR & @Wild Bill spring to mind, I would love to hear there expert opinions on the rifle, pros & cons, for & against etc.. I know that the Walther version uses a 88gm CO2 but can be fitted with an aftermarket adapter to allow you to use 12gm CO2 capsules, have you guys got that fitted ? if so, how's that working out ? I guess that the power (fps) would be roughly the same as it's just CO2 after all and the pressure doesn't change from a 12gm to a 88gm canister it's just the size of the reservoir that has changed, so obviously the shot count is reduced in the 12gm version. Do the adapters take one or two 12 CO2 capsules ? Have you had any problems with them, eg. leaking or loading ? Are they the same in respect to the threaded neck end so that you don't have to use all the CO2 in one go and can be removed for latter use ?
    Now the Umarex Cowboy rifle, I adore the idea of ejecting spent shells but therein lies the problem, in the real steel version they are quite literally 'spent empty shells', no need to forage around and retrieve them, but in the Umarex version your left scrambling about for them as they are re-usable, the idea that they might end up dented and deformed does worry me, especially as I use them in three other revolvers, if they end up deformed that badly that they will not sit right in the cylinder of a revolver that may well cause damage to the inner barrel lip of the revolver. Again, any members experiences would be greatly appreciated, am I worrying too much ? Or is it a well founded fear ? I don't want to buy a Winchester if I can only use it indoors on a carpeted area to protect my expelled shell casings, seems stupid.
    How accurate are they both ? The Walther version has a rifled barrel whereas the Umarex is smooth bore, I would be using pellets in both anyway, but does barrel differences change the accuracy that much ? A rifled barrel should yield far better accuracy through in flight pellet stability and I would like to think that I would be using it for 15-20m targets, maybe even 25m.
    I know that there is a scope mount that can be attached to the Walther version too, anybody out there got one ? or used one ? Seen one fitted ?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give......:)

oedbachgen and Jester like this.
  2. Andy_J

Andy_J co2 Replica Airgun collector

Yes as you know I have a Walther Winchester. And yes I do use both the 88g co2 and the Walther 12g co2 adaptor. I find the it seems more powerful with the 88g cylinder but that could be a placebo effect. With the 88g I get about 300 to 400 shots. With the 12g adaptor I get about 60 shots and it does take two cylinders.

Quite accurate out to 25 mtrs but that is my limit due to garden size. I have handled the cheap version and it does look nice but no weight and no wood. I would still have one for my collection though as it looks great. I only use the open sights as I would never ever spoil the look of a western rifle. I do find the shoulder reach a bit much but nothing to write home about.

I also prefer the loading/magazine system. The mags are the standard umarex revolver type, cheap as chips and having 6 or so ready loaded is great and dead easy to load fast. The lever system is strong and positive. But the weight of it is what did it for me as the ejector version, as nice as it is is too plasticky in comparison. It is putting out over 6ft lbs. Good enough for plinking and target work.

I might be selling it soon to fund something else though. ;)

P1020422.JPG

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    oedbachgen and Headhunter like this.
  3. garryt

garryt Posting Addict

I've owned neither, but shot the non shell ejecting one a few times.
    I'd agree with all Bill has said. Surprisingly accurate and appear well made. Trigger is nice as well.
    The nickel one has the best wearing finish. These run at a respectable 5-6 ft lbs as well.

Shell ejecting one is a nice idea, but I think it would drive me batty finding and picking up the cartridges all the time.

Headhunter likes this.
  4. gingernut

gingernut Posting Addict

I have both.
    And a couple of the early 2 12 grm co2 models.

The 88 gram is expensive but is a fine accurate rifle as far as you can see to shoot it.
    Lother Walther barrel.
    They do blow up after a few years and are a bogger to fix.
    Having said that John Rothery can sort them now.
    Had my silver one done last week.

The shell ejector is cheaper but looks and operates very well.
    Uses a better co2 system.
    BB ,but tin cans up to 30 yards aren't safe which is what these are for.

I object to my thumb being nipped on loading but some real ones do this too.
    I wear a glove.
    You can control the ejection but I stand on a ground sheet so the shells stay clean and near.
    Having said that I get carried away and a couple always end up in the dust!

Ejector is way more fun than the serious 88gram one.
    I haven't lost or damaged any shells yet but I do clean them if they land in the dirt.

oedbachgen and Headhunter like this.
  5. cruisingaround

cruisingaround shooting my load

Just watched a video on the umarex cowboy rifle, looks great and will fire pellets, what's not to like :thumb:

6. CaptDAR

CaptDAR Always count your shots and your adversary’s

I’ve got the nickel and wood version.
    I purchased the capsule adapter instead of using the 88s and get a good string of 112 shots. It’s a fun gun and certainly accurate out to 25 yards. The only real negative I’ve found is if you are cycling the lever very quickly you can damage the 8 shot magazine little drive spalls which then makes them useless.

Headhunter likes this.
  7. Andy_J

Just the hollow plastic stock. That's all. :thumb:

8. cruisingaround

Perhaps! but still doesn't look plastic, i think i might be making a second purchase sometime soon, it would be rude not to :D

9. Andy_J

It looks great, it honestly does but it's light and sounds hollow. For the right price I would have one myself.

10. cruisingaround

Some freebies thrown in to sweeten the deal would help, extra shells etc.

11. Andy_J

My local gunshop has one in right now. £199 with 10 free co2 and some pellets or BB's thrown in.

12. cruisingaround

Which shop? if not too far it could be worth a visit.

13. Andy_J

14. cruisingaround

15. Andy_J

Just had a look at their prices. Very good. They have the steel grey Schofield for £120. Bargain. My current favourite pistol.

JE225160_ASG_CO2_Revolver_Shofield_plated_Kal_45_steel_BB.jpg

oedbachgen likes this.
  16. TalinMoracius

TalinMoracius Arch nemesis of Colonel Heinz

I’ve got the Umarex ejecting rifle and it’s a lot of fun. It also uses the same BB shells as the colt .45, so I like setting up 20 targets, take out 11 (10+1) with the Winchester then resort to the peacemaker to take out the rest, with a reload needed. The game is to do see how fast you can do it from 10 paces. Reloading the peacemaker takes practice but you can get quite quick. I’ve found it gets quite addictive!

17. cruisingaround

I've had to stop looking i am in serious danger of acquiring an armoury :D

18. cruisingaround

Pellpax have them in stock and a bit cheaper, going to ring them tomorrow and see if they will add it to my current order and see if i can get something thrown in for free :thumb:

Andy_J likes this.
  19. CaptDAR

CaptDAR Always count your shots and your adversary’s

Wish I lived in Sheffield I’d have that but it’s not a bargain when I would have to pay theirs and my RFD handling fees.

20. oedbachgen

oedbachgen Top Poster

I have one Headhunter:cool:, be careful if you do get one as the rear sight hight adjuster can fall out easy, this happened to mine, I made a little wooden dowel to stop this recurring. And I have the adaptor to take the two 12 gram cart which works great. Didn't like the plastic rear stock Co2 cover look so I found a bit of leather made a template using the back of the stock as a outline, another bit of leather cut to make the fringe, then hand sewn. Been thinking of getting the plastic stock one has I do like the ejecting shells mechanism.

IMG_20190910_142856.jpg IMG_20190908_152316.jpg

Andy_J, CaptDAR and Headhunter like this.