1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Walther Rotex & Walther LGU Master.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by dancza, Jan 18, 2016.

1. dancza

dancza Donator

Me again,

I went to the Essex Airgun Centre yesterday after noticing that on their website that they now stock the Walther LGU?

When I got there and asked if I could have a hold of one I was told that they didn't stock them for long as they were overrun with complaints/reliability issues. This semi shocked me as all of the reviews I have found for the LGU state that it's a strong contender for the best underlever on the market? (Bull I know, nothing's better than the 97 but it could still beat the TX)

So I've been thinking about maybe getting a PCP to try the dark side of airgunning and I've read a lot of positive reviews on here about the RM8 but again when I mentioned this I got more or less the same story. "Save your money, they're heavy and we've stopped stocking them because we can't keep up with the repairs they need".

Is any of that actually true?? I know the LGU has a bit of a wonky cocking lever but I thought in general it was highly regarded? The same story with the Rotex.

2. Patrick

Patrick Donator

I probably think that they're exaggerating a bit about the the reliability issues on both of these guns as most owners appear to be happy with them.Having said that though I know my local RFD has had a couple of the Rotex/RM8 back with problems and I believe one or two members on here have had power issue problems i.e either over the limit or in another case under powered.I don't own one myself but have handled one and examined it closely and I would say if it has a weak spot it's in the action,the stock and barrel are fine and the gun when performing properly is certainly accurate according to many owners.If you in the market for a budget PCP I'd take a look at the Gamo Coyote its the same price as a guy at the range where I shoot has one in .22 and it's extremely accurate(BSA barrel).Also Paul the manager who's an experienced shot prefers it over the Rotex,He thinks it's a better gun.

3. Tron

Tron Donator

I had a RotaxR8 and it was certainly more accurate than me, The only things that bugged me was the transfer port adjustment screws was blanked off by steel ball bearings pressed it to screw access holes and the biggest fault was the magazine operation was not thought out enough making the bolt action stiff, the upside was you could fit a BSA air cylinder giving it even more shots, I gave it up after a few months because it was just too heavy to tote around due to a health problem, you pays your money and takes your chance.

4. davo

davo Engaging Member

I have a LGU and haven't had a single problem with it, oh and it is better than the 97k I had anyway:) I do have a TX200hc as well and find the 2 guns very similar.
    The LGU is a great gun which changed my mind about Walther so much so I just bought a new Terrus today to go with it.

5. Patrick

Patrick Donator

As I've already said most owners of the LGU like the gun and speak well of it.If it has got a flaw it may be in the cocking lever/linkage.Apparently there is a fair amount of sideways movement/play I've heard and unlike the LGV the cocking link bears directly against the inside of the stock, or it did when the rifle first came out, whereas the LGV cocking link runs on a spring loaded pressure plate also I believe the retaining catch was a bit iffy.Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

6. arthur john smithsplease

arthur john smithsplease Busy Member

Very surprised.

My LGU is the most accurate springer I have ever owned. I bought one from BAR when they first came out, and I have had no problems with it.

As far as I am aware, the other retailers are still selling them. They are the same price in Germany as in the UK.

Unlike Weihrauchs.

7. MtbIan

MtbIan Donator

Based on my personal experience of 1 x Rotex RM8 over about 3 months, I would say it's probably the best few hundred pounds I've ever spent.
    Sure it's not perfect, but what is?
    It's relatively heavy, but I shoot from a fixed position so it's not an issue for me.

it's frighteningly accurate, as testified by the declining grey squirrel population, and the only problem I've had was when I managed to get multiple pellets stuck in the barrel. Not quite sure how that happened but I suspect one of my lads may have had a play when home for Christmas. Anyhow my local RFD (Wirral Guns) kindly sorted it for me.
    i gather that there was a batch that had faulty regulators but they were recalled and sorted.
    I realise that this is anecdotal and hardly a scientific opinion but I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

8. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

More likely to translate as they don't make enough profit on each unit they sell.

9. Philpot

Philpot Post Whore

I had the RM8 but not for long as I was one of the guys with a faulty reg. I found the gun accurate but front end heavy. I spoke to Carl at Airtech who had several others in for the same reason and was developing a reg for this gun. I was going to have work done to sort these issues out by changing the air bottle for an BSA R10 aluminium bottle and have the barrel shortened along with a new reg that actually works but decided to change it for an HW100, more expensive but for me, no contest.

In some ways I think perhaps I should have kept it and had the work done but it will still have a poor second hand value no matter what I had spent on it. Shame really.

Phil

10. davo

davo Engaging Member

I saw the sideways play in a video review as well but I haven't noticed it on my gun at all even when using back to back with the tx. With the cocking linkage I'll be honest I don't know I've not even had the stock off yet, it's shot so well out of the box.

11. dancza

dancza Donator

Clearly sir you must have taken a blow to the head? Nothing is better than the HW97! :p

12. mrtho

mrtho Engaging Member

Except the TX.........:D

phil adams and rellum like this.
  13. Witterings

Witterings Post Whore

+1 :D :up:

phil adams and rellum like this.
  14. besageezer

besageezer Well-Known Member

I have a Rotex in 177, one of the first in the country, it does everything one would expect it to do. Its on the heavy side but I find it holds steady for freehand shooting.It has never jammed up on the loading cycle and its super accurate with 4.52 ammo. My only real crib is the power level which was set at around 10.5ft lbs and really not enough for those distance targets. As to shots per fill of air, somewhere around 150+ per fill at 230 bar.
    I had considered lightning it by fitting a carbon fibre bottle but never got around to it. Presently the gun is with Armex the importers to get the power level up to what it was advertised at. If Walther had not fitted the anti tamper ball bearings then I would have done it myself. In all, a very good gun for the cost. When I get it back I will evaluate the increased power further. Until then I will have to make do with a regulated FX Cyclone to play with which is proving to be on a par for accuracy with the Rotex but a dam sight lighter to carry around.

15. si8b

si8b Newbie

besageezer
    how did you get on with armex, have you got it back yet?
    I've a 177 rotex which was also only turning out 10.5 ft lbs, i found a discussion on a french air gun site and they were all talking about the hammer spring!
    so reading between the lines i stripped the gun down polished the hammer and packed the spring with a 4.5mm spacer and its now turning out 11.7 av with premier magnums 10.5 gr.
    i don't use them, i just got them for the higher reading for set up!
    using rws super field 8.4gr which shoot well in mine its now running at 11.3ft lbs thats near enough the magic mark for me.

16. Farty

Farty Totty GURU

+ 2 the Tx is cock on ... better than the German (swear word).

rellum likes this.
  17. jantar

jantar Donator

I own both the LGU and the Rotex RM8 and BOTH from new and on the same day they were released for sale in the UK. Both are extremely accurate to almost pellet on pellet at 35m. I cannot understand how anyone could not shoot these straight from the box and achieve decent grouping. There again the saying goes that it is a poor 'workman' who blames his tools or setup. Obviously there may be the very rare 'dog' with sub-standard parts but all manufacturers suffer that scenario. Even Daystate and Weihrauch (which I also bought from new) as they were released for sale. The WH100 FSBKT has remained perfect but the DS Regal suffered a pressure gauge failure in its first month! The DS (in fact all of them) Electronic ones really hold no interest for me because they detract from any skill required to calculate shooting. The RM8 was initially a bit rough on the cocking because the bolt stem had a rough spot but after a quick strip, wet and dry paper and re-lube it was smooth as silk and has remained that way. The LGU was a little low on power but once the transfer port was raised to 3.6 from 2.6 it was giving 11.40 ft/lb. Bits and bobs only so nothing really to cause any real concern.
    Air Arms for me is a no go simply because the TX200, 410 and 510 all felt wrong when shouldered. Plain and simple. One mans meat is another's poison so personal opinions really are irrelevant, even my own. Anyone buying a rifle or pistol should choose what suits them for fit and purpose and not on the opinions or recommendations of anyone else. Common sense really.

DRAGONBAIT666 likes this.
  18. DRAGONBAIT666

DRAGONBAIT666 Engaging Member

I had an rm8 in .22 from new. Excellent gun.
    V accurate.
    Wish I hadn’t sold it.
    If/when I eventually get another pcp it will prob be rm8

19. bob4026

bob4026 Busy Member

HW77 ;)

rellum and dancza like this.
  20. michael54r

michael54r Engaging Member

I’ve had both in .177 ,bought them new.
    I had a major problem with the RM8 dropping power after around every 12 shots,would drop from say 11ftlbs down to below 9ftlbs ,so I returned it for S400.The LGU I loved and I’m still kicking myself for letting it go.
    I’ve also had a LGV (used),can’t remember the exact model but it had the adjustable comb and I really shouldn’t have let that one go,I’ve not seen many of those up for sale.