1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

walther rotex RM8??? is it worth buying?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Rincewind666, May 23, 2015.

1. Rincewind666

Rincewind666 Moderated user

Ive been thinking of getting a PCP rifle for a while now and ive decided to go ahead and get one in .177 but want one with a high shot count and not too expensive, i then saw the new Walther rotex RM8 for £400 in my air rifle magazine and i think this may be a great choice.
    Does anyone know if these rifles are any good? Anyone own one? All hep and info will be gratefully received thx.
    Also are the pcp handpumps worth getting?

2. whitevanman574

whitevanman574 Donator

lol not for a bottle mate youll be up and down like a deranged chimp pumping for half hour lol , up to now they seem to have a problem coming in under powered

3. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Not had any experience with said rifle,

but for a bottle gun, I would definitely recommend a dive bottle. Nothing wrong with stirrup pumps but more suited to cylinder rifles:)

4. chevin

chevin Keyboard Hero

I am being very honest here, I've known quite a few who have bought these rifles and all but one have moved them on, most have been reasonably happy with them and just up graded to something else, if you like it buy it, for what they cost for a pcp with that shot count give it a go, atb.

5. Dicer

Dicer Donator

There are plenty of reviews on YouTube, then I would go to a shop and have a feel of one.

6. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

1) The power can be over 12 ft lb, well under 12 ft lb or hovering around 11.25 ft lb. My first was struggling to break 10 ft lb and was returned. Get it tested before you buy!

2) Trigger, the RM8 seems to have a 2 stage trigger, the R8 was single stage. Not as good as the Quattro unit on an AT44 and not as easy to adjust either.

3) Shot count is good, well over 100 per fill. According to most sources it is regulated.

4) Bolt action sucks. It is easier after a time, but I would put the AT44 lever action well above it!

5) Safety catch springs are weak on the R/RM 8.

I would put it at slightly below the Hatsan AT44 in terms of quality of build. The Hatsan is also available from around £359 in a package with scope and silencer!
    I have owned both, I still own a Hatsan AT44, enough said!

7. Deadeye

Deadeye Donator

no problems with mine.. accurate.. smooth...and well over 150 shots per fill. I'd recommend one anyday.

Dan1978 likes this.
  8. Big Uli

Big Uli Donator

I've shot the R8 some weeks ago and the indexing is, to be frank, fecking aweful
    I'm a member at On Target Range in Northampton and they run a comp to shoot the last 5 spinners of the lanes on a time trial
    Due to the indexing it took me 20 seconds and I missed 3 shots, I assume the bad indexing and me kind of forcing the pellets in the breech damaged them
    I did the same challenge with my R10 in 10 second and had I had the 410 with me I had been quicker still
    The R10 doesn't like a rough pull on the bolt, the 410 will take any abuse I through at it

So the RM8, yes it is a budget gun and I'm sure if worked on it will be fine but I'd rather go and buy a 2nd hand S4*0 series gun any day

9. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

This has been covered many times and the search facility is your friend ;)

Threads here and here, amongst others..

To me it seemed that many optimistic shooters yummed up the marketing tripe in the mags, viewing these rifles as some economy-defying, world-beating second-coming of the messiah.

Funnily enough many examples seem to have been appearing for sale recently and lately we've seen some more realistic assessments of the gun from owners as many have come to recognise the shortcomings of a rifle that retails at 2/3rds the price of "similarly specced" market leaders.

The only chap I know personally who has one says the rifle is accurate enough but the bolt action is sticky / stiff - no doubt on account of both the design and materials used..

Personally I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole - it's basically a cheapo CO2 gun converted to run on air, construction is very cheap with extensive use of plastic and alloy castings (meaning the rifle could potentially literally "wear out" with heavy use). The loading mech is known to be unreliable, bolt and trigger operation aren't great, there have been issues with the guns being under-powered and Armex don't have a great rep for sorting warranty claims or generally knowing what they're talking about. I'd also try and avoid this company due to the way they do business generally..

Were it my money it would go straight on an S400 - far more sparsely-specced on paper but infinitely better built and far more worth having.

Alternatively if you're happy to go used an S410 is probably within reach..

10. spike589715

spike589715 Busy Member

Another vote for the Hatsan AT44
    love mine I now get over 100 shots in 177 though I did some tuning and fitted a reg
    http://www.theywalkamongstus.co.uk/airguns/at44.html
    the side lever was slightly rough from new but it was always my intention to strip anyway
    very accurate now
    cheers
    si

11. Rincewind666

Rincewind666 Moderated user

Thanks for all the advice and tips guys its helped alot.
    One thing ive noticed is all are saying go for the S400/ S410 .
    Im a big fan of air aims (i have a tx200 best springers even imho) and i see alot of ppl on here own them so i may get one instead, whats the shot count like on a S410 in 177 flavour? And are they as good as they seem?

12. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

No problem (for the little bit I contributed) :)

The 400 series is easily the most well-rounded mid-priced sporter on the market IMO. In addition they're British made so you're not paying through the nose for something that could have been bought for significantly less in Europe.

Like everything else the guns have their flaws, but there are fewer and they're usually relatively easily remedied. A .177 Carbine length S400 or S410 will give you around 40 good shots while the Classic will give around 60..

13. Big Uli

Big Uli Donator

I get 60 shots in .177 with my S410 carbine shooting from a 180bar fill down to 120 using JSB Exact or H&N Barracuda Hunter Extreme
    Mine is a older pre AT model that has had the hammer and rail polished. Inside of the hammer of course
    Apart from that the gun had a complete set of new seals and a de-pibnger and a Rowan match grade trigger

I found filling it to 190 bar causes 10 wasted shots
    One of the most accurate guns I have owned and a keeper for a fraction of the price what the other guns I've owned, and own, cost me

14. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

I'd go for an s400 sod the dodgy umarex guts and magazine system.

15. secretagentmole

There is a difference between "slightly rough" and needing a forward shove akin to trying to knock out a heavyweight boxer.

16. jjmac

jjmac Active Member

a lot of people slagging the rm8 off, i have one and love it. it DOES compare to much more expensive rifles that seem to charge the world because they hide behind a name. the rm8 is a fantastic gun, it looks beautiful, and works amazingly. once you find the right pellet you can get a grouping covering less than a 5p at 35+ yards with the whole mag of 8 with ease. dont care what anyone says but thats bloody accurate, and in the right hands its going to be as accurate as any other rifle.
    yes the bolt is a bit stiff TO BEGIN WITH. i've stuck 2000+ pellets through now and the first 500 i pushed the pellets down in the mag first to ease the loading, now its fine and i have no issues whatsoever ive never had a problem with the mag or loading.
    apart from the plastic trigger i wouldn't change a thing.
    it might not be 100% same build quality as a rifle twice the price but it certainly isnt 50% quality of a rifle twice the price.

17. secretagentmole

No but it is of lesser build quality than a rifle £20 less than it! I had an R8 that had to go back, it was underpowered. The second one though fine on power still had rough cocking. All they are is an Air Magnum with a regulated air bottle on.

18. laserman

laserman Well-Known Member

I had one for a day and couldn't get it to group for love nor money.

19. redlion

redlion Member

Bought a new RM8 in .177 this week and am very pleased with it so far. Too soon to give any shot count figures but on an initial fill of 180bar I have shot about 12 mags and it is now indicating 100bar on the rifle gauge which seems to tie in quite closely to my bottle gauge. So far I have done two 5 shot chrono strings, one at 150bar and another at 100bar and both show an extreme spread of 4fps and 5fps, which demonstrates clearly that this rifle does indeed have a regulator, details of which can be seen on several websites. As this is the first .177 calibre rifle I have had I don’t have a bunch of pellets to try, so I am using using JSB Exacts 4.52 (8.44gr), I am getting 11.2ftlbs, a touch on the low side perhaps but not enough for me to complain about, but hoping it will improve a little with use. Accuracy wise I was initially a little disappointed as to begin with the groups I was achieving at 35m were 20-25mm, however after 50-60 shots they started to improve and now I am seeing sub 10mm groupings with the occasional flyer. I think it takes a good few shots to condition the new Walther barrel (I did not clean it before use which may have been a mistake) so it gives of its best, maybe better still to come. Cycling and bolt action is very smooth although the last little bit of cocking movement does need to be done positively – a bigger bolt ‘knob’ might be on the agenda. I was a little concerned that the wide rubber band on the magazine would not give enough to prevent distortion to the pellet skirts as they were cycled but having pushed the JSB pellets through the magazine I can say that there was no sign of this. I have seen some complaints regarding the quality of the trigger but I have to say that the trigger out of the box really is not bad at all, in fact I would say it is really rather good. OK it’s a single stage and has a bit more travel than would be ideal but that can be adjusted (I believe), and pull weight is light enough not to be a problem. As for the trigger being synthetic I have no problem with this and it feels good on the finger. I would have to agree with others who say that this is definitely not a lightweight rifle, although you dont seem to feel the weight when shouldered and seems to be very steady when shouldered, I will be fitting a bipod as a lot of my shooting is done prone. The muzzle report is loud so I purchased an ATEC Wave moderator at the same time (only because it was being heavily discounted), it’s a fairly short moderator that fits well with the lines of the barrel and although in .22 does a very good job at silencing the muzzle report. So in summary my personal opinion is that this rifle offers tremendous value for money – nice wood stock, LW barrel, regulated valving, bottle fed, good trigger, high shot count, excellent multishot cycling, air gauge, full length scope rail, well placed manual safety – I would have chosen a synthetic stock if it had been available as it would have helped a little in the weight department and as a workhorse I wouldn’t have to keep worrying about dinking the wood.
    It remains to be seen if in the long term this rifle proves to be reliable, but first impressions are very positive.

20. Paddler

Paddler Donator

South Devon where the cream goes on first!
    A little input regards pumps... I love mine.. I go hunting fire off 20 -30 shots.. Go home clean my bunnies... Wash hands and pump my gun up.. Less than 4 mins gentle pumping... Done.

At the club I use the free air!

So the moral of this story pumps are very good little and often... Sorted.