1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Walther Lgu Port Size

Discussion in 'Technical' started by rusty cogs, Jun 9, 2020.

1. rusty cogs

rusty cogs Active Member

Hello there,im thinking about taking my lgu to pieces and would like to drill out
    the transfer port.
    could some one please recommend a good diameter ?
    Im not going to alter much else.Its a .177

thx

2. alan1

alan1 Engaging Member

3mm or 3.2 mm that's what seems to be the norme I did mine to 3.2 mm then had to cut spring down

hmangphilly likes this.
  3. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Posting Addict

Why would you like to drill out the transfer port chum ?

What's the problem ?

4. gb2017

gb2017 Busy Member

Hi

The question that seems to govern this is what pellets do you shoot that suits your lgu?

I had my lgu tuned and at the time the advice given was a 3.6mm tp, this "wisdom" apparently has now changed :facepalm:

If you use jsb's it is recommended a smaller port is used due to the softness of the lead and the fact that a more compressed puff helps the skirts form to fit the barrel, if you use h&n's and their ilk that have a harder lead alloy / tighter skirts then a wider port is ok as they already are more "fitted" to the barrel and so the puff is to get them going.

So that's left me with a wide TP and I use JSB's, go figure what my thoughts on it are!!!

The morale of this story..... I am buggered if I know but it doesn't leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling about some experts

PS and what the previous poster says, why do you feel the need? If its listening to others then there's the morale of my story ;)

Gat Man and Radlad like this.
  5. rusty cogs

rusty cogs Active Member

Hi thank you for your replies . I must be honest and state that i have not found the most accurate pellet yet
    i suppose i should really ask questions of myself like "hmangphilly" just has. and then there's the old phrase,
    " if it aint broke, dont fix it ! "
    i just wanted to improve it . im the third owner and i was expecting something special , semi tuned and pleasant
    to shoot,maybe even site picture mantained.when i fire it its one hell of jolt!
    I wanted something a bit special that i would be proud of owning but now i am not sure im going to keep
    it so i dont want to splash out loads on tuning. I just want it to be a bit more pleasant to shoot and feel happier
    to pass on .
    i also thought increasing the tp was a standard thing, i guess it aint

6. cooper_dan

cooper_dan Busy Member

If you are the third owner and it's got a harsh shot cycle, maybe a previous owner has already done some 'tuning'.

What other springers do you have or can test that you can compare it to? Springers do recoil, even the good ones.

Maybe strip it down and do some checks. Measure the TP in case it's already been made too large. Chrono the rifle, measure the preload, the measure the spring and work out efficiency. Maybe breech seals or piston seal are leaking and a previous owner has stuffed more preload in to get the power up.

hmangphilly likes this.
  7. gb2017

gb2017 Busy Member

if you are getting a jolt then that is certainly not right, maybe it might just be worthwhile giving it the basic once over, strip clean and relube, might be that you need to "undo" something that has been done

stick it across a chrono as well and see that there are not any surprises, once you have acquired a bit more understanding then think about how to tune if you still wish to

have also found fitting a small moderator on these also improved the shot cycle to a nice thud, or at least has with the half dozen I have shot

8. hmangphilly

Shouldn't be too much of a drama to reduce your TP back down chum .

gb2017 likes this.
  9. gb2017

gb2017 Busy Member

shouldn't be, the question is can I be ar5ed, and tbh the answer is no

10. Joha

Joha Newbie

Had the same and started to read, again

jotted down the statement below off a post on the BBS some time a go.
    Just wondered if it is correct? as on the odd occasion i have done the opposite to whats suggested & got the required results.

If power is greater with heavy pellets.
    Then you have:
    • Too much piston weight
    • Too little stroke
    • Too much T/P volume
    • Too much spring
    “This is slammy”

If power is greater with lighter pellets.
    Then you have:
    • Too little piston weight
    • Too much stroke
    • Too little T/p volume
    • Too little spring
    “This is bouncy”

By Jon Willingham on FB, previous owner of my Warren Edwards FT LGU stock bought by him in mei 2017

Pellet moving test.
    Place pellet on top of turret/ mount/ barrel and shoot.
    1. Pellet go's backwards, which clearly shows excessive piston bounce.
    2. Ideally the pellet should slide forwards a little to show correct recoil.
    3. Or even better no movement but I find that only happens when you combine a good tune with a very heavy stock.
    Its a guide as to how well the gun is behaving.

Tip from NickG
    test with 8.4 and 7.9 pellets you want it to be making a tad more power with the light pellets than the heavier ones to ensure its bouncing a little .

https://www.airgunforum.co.uk/commu...-jsb-pellet-velocity-test-0-50-metres.174275/

https://www.airgunforum.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/springer-tuning.237647/page-2

https://www.airgunforum.co.uk/commu...ctors-that-affect-performance-discuss.143305/

changeable transfer port spring airgun
    https://www.pressreader.com/uk/airgun-world/20170501/282754881563838

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2016/07/give-me-more-power-2/

Best hint quote from Biwai
    It's your gun and your tune. find where the magic happens and leave it there.

Don't blame the springer, it's the idiot who could not resist to butcher the poor thing again .
    20200524_162256.jpg

11. Paul M.

Paul M. Busy Member

Hell of a jolt seems wrong, I can watch pellets bounce off a bell target at 25 yards with mine no problem:(.

12. Nickg

Nickg Busy Member

A standard LGU shouldn't be harsh, far from it . I would give it a service , ie new breech seals , make sure the piston seal is the right one and sealing , then lube it up properly, also check you have the standard spring in it . The enlarged transfer port size idea came from a "certain someone " ( Phil knows who I mean ) who suggested that the small port was causing springs to either break or lose length, when it was probably a bad batch of springs :facepalm:

hmangphilly, gb2017 and Paul M. like this.
  13. hmangphilly

Op
    Don't get too hung up about super low recoil and being able to see all your pellets in flight .

Sure. It shouldn't kick like a 12 bore ,but It's a springer .........you're always going to know that you've fired it .

Check these vids of Steve Privett's to see the sight picture movement of a 2 x springer world ft champ.

https://shooting-the-breeze.com/search/705/?q=twangcam&o=date

If you're unsure of your gun and it's cheesing you off ,Pop it apart ,give it a clean out and a lube , measure every thing up while you're in there .

These are super simple , I'll give you a help if you need

gb2017 likes this.
  14. Mike6J

Mike6J Engaging Member

I have an LGU in .177, it is untouched and as it came from the box.
    I shoot Umarex Mosquito pellets and it will put shot upon shot with very little noise and certainly no slam.

The Mosquito pellet fits the loading port perfectly with minimal pressure and it does not fall out, but a pellet can be easily removed with a sharp pin if needed.
    I have loaded the H&N Field Target Trophy pellet and found that the head entered easily but the skirt required far more pressure to seat it in the port than the Mosquito.

Umarex 0,48g (7.40gr) head 4.40 skirt 4.56 (mm diameters)
    H&N FTT 0,56g (8.64gr) head 4.46 skirt 4.58

These measurements could suggest the loading port may be tapered.

15. hmangphilly

Just a simple chamfer on the fe I've seen Mate .

Small differences in pellet size ill feel very different in a lead and bore

16. Nickg

Nickg Busy Member

Lgu 's seem to either have a huge chamfer or nothing on the lead in , I have found the large chamfer to be detrimental.

17. hmangphilly

Ooh Ooh time for a pic .......gotta love a pic .............

Pretty sure that's Lgu Leade.
    The leade angle and finish will affect start pressure , which knocks on to transfer ports , which are connected to the knee bone etc etc

Fri Apr 13 21-43-48.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  18. alan1

alan1 Engaging Member

Any way isn't the small port in this gun due to it been a 6 flb model and just putting a stronger spring in will not make it a 12 flb one efficiently

19. Paul M.

Paul M. Busy Member

I t
    I thought it was the otherway round and a result of the FAC 20J version.

I think the OPs problem though is that something is wrong with his gun as its not behaving like LGUs normally do rather than a design or tuning issue.

20. rusty cogs

rusty cogs Active Member

Thanks every one im gunna have a good look and take measurements pre load and spring dimensions
    and degrease....lata . Its too nicer day not to be shooting!

cheers kevin