1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

walnut or beech?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Steff, May 28, 2007.

1. Steff

Steff Active Member

Quick question guys, I see walnut stocks are an option on some rifles, ... is this purely for asthtetic reasons, i.e. it looks good, or is there some other advantage over beech? Is one more hard wearing than the other? I guess a wipe over with a rag is all thats needed in both cases? or would I be wrong?
    All comments appreciated.
    steff

2. topcat

topcat Post Whore

walnut

walnut is purely just a better looking wood dont no of any advantages over beech but i would pay the extra every time for walnut

3. Steff

Steff Active Member

walnut / beech

Thanks Topcat.
    How do you keep the wood looking good? special oils? or out with the pledge!

4. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

Beech is heavier than walnut, and while walnut is lighter it still retains good strength.
    Most stocks come lacquered these days so just need a wipe over every now and then.
    If your lucky you may get an oiled walnut stock, that you can add additional coats to.
    There are lots of oils on the market these days so it's just down to what you prefer, i like to refinish my stocks so i strip of the old finish and then add a light coat of ultra alkanet root stain followed by about eight coats of ultra 'old London' gun stock oil.
    It takes a long time but the end result is worth it. :up:

5. topcat

topcat Post Whore

wood

yes andy walnut is lighter than beech but not enough to notice say you have 2 aa 400 one beech one walnut pick them up blind folded i dont think you could tell which is which only a few ounces in it i think most people choose walnut purely on looks