1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

vortex diamondback and nikon prostaff reticle for hft

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by valboskie, Mar 4, 2014.

1. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

Hi lads has anyone used one of these for hft nikon prostaff or vortex diamondback with the bdc reticle .
    I was on another forum reading that with the dots being just an outline like a bubble on the nikon you can use the top middle and bottom of the bubble Giving you 12 aim points .
    Has anyone done this
    .If you have could you give me an example of your range card so I can see what its like compared to a map6 ret or mildot ..

Has anyone used the vortex diamondback it looks to have a lot less aim points but can it be made to work for hft
    Again if anyone uses one could I see what their range card looks like.
    I'm just trying to find a scope with better glass than hawke and mtc within in my budget of £200ish
    The nikon pro staff and vortex diamondback sound ideal but with only bdc rets im just not sure if they will work for hft*.
    Cheers
    David

2. Hunter 001

Hunter 001 Donator

3. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

Thank for the thread link it looks like a few people have cracked it with that reticle. I might try and find one second hand and try that to see if I can work out the aim points. If I can I will buy one for my other rifles.
    I always use chair gun so this will be the first time just shooting paper with no guide to go buy.
    I need to shoot on 9x or 10x with my eye sight my hw98 is doing 10.8fpe and scope centre to bore centre is 1.55 inch at the moment with my hawke panorama ao
    Cheers
    David

4. Mcdemon

Mcdemon Engaging Member

I have one and currently just getting used to it for HFT. Mixed results up to now with good and bad days but more likely this is not the scope. As already said in the other thread the circles offer multiple aim points but small kill zones can be seen through the circle providing they line up balistically.
    instead of chair gun use strelok which has the Nikon ballistic ret among others.
    the glass is superb and the best I have tried by far amongst hawkes, MTC's etc.
    i had a small loup for a while and I can't tell the difference.

great value for money

5. DaveF

DaveF Busy Member

If only Nikon would do prostaff with a half mil dot ret with airgun range paralax they would sell by the boat load

6. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

The Nikon is more suitable than the Diamondback,the Vortex hash marks are too far apart. The glass is superb, but the reticule is not really very beneficial even for hunting. I have contacted them to ask them if they would produce a similar style of reticule but spaced to suit air rifle velocities - the trouble is the air rifle market in the UK alone represents ony about 5% of scope sales - in the USA and the rest of the world they would then need ANOTHER air rifle reticule because the guns are not limited to the velocities that ours are. So, in effect, they would have to produce TWO air rifle reticules and the tooling for that would be more expensive than the total sales....work out the outcome result.

7. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

Whats wrong with your current Panorama?
    The fine 1/2 milldot reticle is great for HFT great aim points and more then fine enough for the reducers, zero at 28-30yards and with 10x mag i guess around 40yards your using 1/2 a MD then at 45 1 full MD.
    If its a very dull day or in the woods leave the blue IR turned on, although the glass isnt the best you still get a good field of view and a clear bright image.

8. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

I have the hawke panorama half mildot an sr6 and 2 airmax ev map6 and mtc viper
    I though they were all quite good till I went to a fun 40 target hft shoot out to 60 yards.
    I had the chance to look through some top end scopes leupold bushnell sightron lightstream march
    The glass was all superb very crisp and bright and all well outside what I can afford at the moment.
    Then I started reading the vortex diamondback glass out performed some of the top end scopes
    But the reticle was difficult to use at air rifle ranges I was then told the nikon was not far behind
    The diamondback.
    So I thought I would be getting a big step up in glass brighter sharper a lot better in low light.
    At a price I could afford.
    I have not looked through either yet im just going on what I have read.
    Atb
    David

9. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Absolutely spot on. I did the first Nikon Prostaff test for airguns back in one of the early issues of Airgun Shooter - they weren't known in the airgun circles then, but following my findings they became very popular and other people discovered the same as I did. That was the original Prostaff, then I did a follow up about 18 months later with the new,plastic turret caps version, new turrets, fast focus eyepiece, same lenses and BDC reticule.

It is a superb scope, but if you want 30 different aim points each with a 10mm difference at 30 yards, then no. You will have to stick with your blue pine tree and spend more time looking at the reticule and counting branches than actually shooting. I can't believe how complicated some of these reticules are. That is great when you have all the time in the world, but in a time limited situation, the simpler the better. I would like to see HFT limited to 10 seconds MAXIMUM per shot.

10. metalman

metalman Big Poster

I am currently using a Mamba, Connect and Panorama, and the Nikon has the best glass by far