1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

(very?) Low Powered Air Rifle for the garden?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by _Chris_, Jul 3, 2014.

1. _Chris_

_Chris_ Newbie

My Dad is looking for an air rifle just for garden plinking with the grandkids (one is an army cadet and is struggling with .22 shooting).

Due to nostalgia, he'd like to use .177 pellets - not interested in getting an FOC for the garden ;)

He wants a break barrel type, which I THINK might be too powerful for a 30-40ft garden? I'm liking the idea of the CO2 rifles, I've got a gas blow-back airsoft pistol which is great fun, and I assume the multishot abilities of the CO2 rifles will be more fun than the traditional reset after each shot. I don't know the power rating of my pistol, I don't play Airsoft, the gun was a gift and the documentation didn't state it.

After a few hours searching on Google, everyone wants the most powerful they can have (which I now know is 12ft/lbs without an FOC) as they want to hunt or play with long range targets. OR they do want a barkyard plinker, but their back garden is bloody huge!

What ft/lbs - fps - kjoules rating do you think would be suitable for such a small range (30ish ft) with no requirement to get a kill shot.

Budget is up to £120, but if something exists for £60 that will do the above then I'm all for it!

Hmmm, rambled a bit, In summary:
    Wanted:
    - Garden plinker
    - 30 to 40 feet garden
    - Not for hunting
    - Traditional wooden look, not the tactical 'rat catcher' type
    - CO2 or break barrel?
    - What power rating should I be looking for?

Advice on any of the above points would be a great start

Thanks

Edit: I live near Milton Keynes/Northampton, the local shops I've found seem to cater more for the professional shooter/hunter - which is reflected in their prices! I think these guys would class what I'm looking for as a toy. If anyone knows somewhere localish that sells them that would also be great.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  2. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

You could look for a secondhand hw50, hw quality should last a lifetime.

But don't worry about power, your never going to be overgunned in a 30-40 ft garden, so don't discount full power rifles just because of that.

One cheap gun I thought off although not a break barrel is the Webley Rebel pump up, then its only as powerfull as the amount of pumps you put into it.

plus it should be able to hit the tiniest of targets out to the full length of your garden as the accuracy should be on par with my pcp airguns, like my old sharp innova was, and the Rebel is just a retake in the original innova.

I think you can get them new for £100.

But personally I would rather have something like the HW50 or hw99.

3. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Doesn't the Meteor come in at around 9fpe? That would be a good start for a youngster being a light gun.

4. 177

177 Donator

Yes, an old Meteor would be high on my list, and low on the budget scale. The newer ones are higher power.

If you can find an old Relum Tornado they are diminutive, light and can be amazingly accurate :up:

SMK do some dedicated 'junior' models that are small, light, mid-range powered and inexpensive.

The old Webley Hawk rifles tick the traditional and lower power boxes too.

There are loads of potentials out there.

Finding a good example is going to be the problem.

Try a wanted ad in your local newsagent window or, if you live in a built up area, drive out a little into more rural villages and place a wanted ad. Last time I did that I was inundated and ended up buying several project guns and a couple that only needed a wipe down for about a hundred quid all in.

5. davymole

davymole Donator

Northop Hall, Mold, Flintshire North Wales
    I would have a look at some of the gamo,s range of rifles then maybe a couple of my fav,s the HW35 the older one,s plus the HW95 and possibly the hw 99s .have a look at the forums with members local to you or even visit a local range where often you will find rifles posted for sale on there notice boards most of these can be bought for within your budget.

6. tintin

tintin Engaging Member

This is one of the few times I would recommend buying one of the airgun magazines. Loads of adverts in there for low powered air rifles.

7. racingjase

racingjase Member

Have a look at a Cometa 50
    Its a junior air rifle at about 6ft/lbs

8. Spireiteboy

Spireiteboy Active Member

I'll probably get some stick for it but I've got an SMK B2. Cost me £32 from my local gun shop and as a back yard plinker it's ideal. Cheap, reasonably accurate, not too powerful, quite light, doesn't matter if you drop it as it's CHEAP.
    Got a3-9x32 scope off E-Bay for £19 inc scope mounts and I can hit anything in the garden with it. Garden about 40ft long with brick wall at the end.

9. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

I've got a .50cal for sale, you'll just need a couple more phone books for backstop.

The kids will LOVE it when just the muzzle flash blows granddad flat cap off.

10. _Chris_

_Chris_ Newbie

Thanks for the great replies.

We went to a couple of local shops on Saturday, one was strictly professional (R&K Stockcraft in Milton Keynes) - very nice sales people, but at the wrong end of the scale for what we were looking for. Then went to Willards (outskirts of MK), tested an excellent HW-something, he ended up going for a Gammo G-Force 15 though, a little bit cheaper at £99 inc red-dot sight (which I don't particularly like, zero'd in but still seems to shoot differently for different people, even with the barrel supported) and only half the power, around 4-6lbs/ft. It's styled like something out of a Rambo film, so the grandkids loved it.

While looking for the rifles, I've found an air-rifle club a couple of miles down the road, think I might get myself a SMK B2 for the garden, and 'something' full powered and join the club. I'll see what second hand ones the members might have for sale once I've saved up some pennies.

Heres a stock pic from google - perfect for a fun 'toy':

View attachment 99581

11. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

HW30 there not full power and very easy to cock load and forgiving to shoot for a springer.

12. josan

josan Engaging Member

HW30S. Probably the best value for money in the airgun world (E149,- new in NL) and exactly what you want.

13. Spireiteboy

Don't know where you guys are picking up second hand HW35 or 99's from for under £200? The only ones I can find anywhere are well over £200.

14. mattyts

mattyts Donator

A second hand 99 at 200 is a rip off,they are only 220 new.

15. doodsy

doodsy Donator

ok just a thought, I use a 1377 pump crosman pistol with a shoulder stock for back garden
    targets now days, I prefer the lower power as my kids shoot with me, light, accurate enough
    easy enough for my 8 year old to pump it (to the level power wise that we shoot at
    I paid 60 quid off the forum for pistol, the stock

16. meerkat1

meerkat1 Keyboard Hero

99`s are just under £200 new on guntrader

17. Spireiteboy

Whoops think I was looking at new ones at £200 plus, my bad. Still can't find any used anywhere below a ton.