1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Variable Stage Trigger

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Nick Tanner, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Nick Tanner

Nick Tanner Peebles, Borders

I'm wondering has anybody else had a trigger with a 'variable' 1st stage? Basically if I take up the 1st stage then release without firing, I can only do this twice more before the trigger has become, in effect, single stage. Almost like the primary sear isn't fully returning on release. It's usually only an issue when target shooting on the range, but still catches me off-guard on occasion. Plays havoc with my scores!

2. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

There's no such thing as a "primary sear" (i.e. one dedicated only to the trigger's first stage) . This happens because of incorrect sear geometry, excessive friction / contamination or attempting to run the trigger pull weight too light.

What rifle is it?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    metalman, Blackmax and shauny like this.
  3. FPoole

FPoole Busy Member

A tiny bit more sear engagement will make it stop doing this. That is, if it's adjustable. My TX200 will do this if I set it too close. I just add about 1/16th turn to the rear screw, in the blade, and it cures it.

cloverleaf likes this.
  4. cooper_dan

cooper_dan Engaging Member

Some people replace the trigger weight spring with a longer and softer one.
    As standard they tend to be quite short so attempting to run them too light means they aren't doing much at all. Then you dont get proper 1st stage return as described

5. robs5230

robs5230 Very Active

Yep I'd suggest increasing the weight on the trigger spring.
    I had a TX on which the trigger was sort of doing what the OP says. Turns out the trigger weight spring had "set" and was ineffective. A new spring enabled the trigger to be set up perfectly.

6. Nick Tanner

Nick Tanner Peebles, Borders

Hmmm, valid points. It's a .22 Prosport. The trigger spring weight is very light so I'll try that first, then strip it down if the issue is still there. Could be that ptfe grease (a smear mind) is too thick when cold for the trigger parts to move freely?

7. robs5230

robs5230 Very Active

The CD trigger is known for factory lube hardening up over the years. It turns very solid and wax like so wont help. I'd take the trigger unit out, degrease thoroughly and relube with some light oil (sewing machine oil / fishing reel oil . hair clipper oil.
    Then replace the trigger weight spring

Nick Tanner likes this.