1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Valve stem not long enough ?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Hoodster, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

I'm trying to fit a 2 piece anti bounce hammer to my s410 I fit the regulator a few days ago but I didn't bother trying to do anything with it until I got the new hammer.
    Now on the fitting instructions that came with it they say the valve stem should protrude 3.4mm approximately and the inner carrier of the hammer should be around 0.4 to 0.6mm from the valve housing, now my valve stem only protrudes by 2mm and so the inner carrier touches the valve housing.
    So at this point I would be grateful for some help with solving this problem :)

Thx Rick.

2. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

you need to remove some metal from the end of inner brass carrier till you have the required gap between the carrier and the valve body/housing.
    I dont have access to any tools so i slowly removed the metal using wet and dry i used 360crit on a flat surface and did my best to keep the brass carrier as flat and straight os possible.
    Removing a very tiny bit at a time till i got i power upto 780fps with JSB exacts, i found having the valve spring tightened all the way in and venturi screw wide open and then getting the correct gap for your guns power the best way to gain efficiency with mine.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  3. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

Thanks this was my thinking to start with but thought I best get the opinion of more experienced shooters first.

4. Akita177

I email Rob Lane and he said you would have to fettle the carrier gap for your gun the 3.4mm steam and 0.45 to0.6mm is just there recommend starting place.
    My valve stem protruded 3mm so i guess you might have to remove a bit more brass then i did.

5. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I've just spent half an hour finding and then reading through cloverleafs thread on valve head extrusion and I had remembered correctly he measured the valve protusion on some rifles and found them to measure about 2.0mm. This had been playing on my mind a bit when I saw the drawings of Rob Lanes 2 part hammer as I was sure that 3.4mm was more than had been found. I will measure mine next week and see how it compares but I'm sure it's going to be nearer 2mm than 3.4mm.
    I had put a new valve in my regulated S410 and found that it was reluctant to seal, presumably this is because it only has half the maximum air pressure acting on it to create some deformation and create a proper seal.
    One way to increase the protusion would be to face off the valve head but I would think that 1.5mm would be too much on such a small component and then it would need to be 'bedded in' to the seat.
    I will be making some modifications to my hammer next week, one of which is to slightly increase the distance between the inner part and the valve block by slightly shortening the front part. I'm also considering adding some mass to the inner part and adding some spring preload by increasing the length of the rear part plus some possible changes to the outer part of the hammer as well. At the moment I think my hammer is quite light although I haven't bothered weighing it until I get it spot on but I will check it next time the gun is apart. I would be interested to hear the weight s and dimensions of the Rob Lane hammer for comparison.

6. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

I was tempted to buy a new valve stem thinking that because my 410 is an early model maybe the stems are shorter than on the newer models but then realised it could equally be that the valve housing the thing that's different so felt that removing material from the inner carrier was the best way.

7. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

To the best of my knowledge the relevant dims of the valve housing and valve have never changed over the rifle's production run. If you have one of the earlier white exhaust valves; don't swap it for a crappy later (black) one whatever you do!

8. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

I've done a bit of basic weighing and measuring.

inner carrier 20g inner diameter of 8.2mm length 46mm (I've taken a little off the length)

outer case 23.9g inner diameter of 10.6mm length 25.9mm

9. Akita177

Just a pure guess but maybe with a reg fitted the hammer doesnt need to be as heavy due to the constant lower pressure agaisnt the valve, and lets face it the S4xx hammer is bit of a heavy beast to start with.
    It took me multiple goes at the removing very tiny amounts of the inner brass carrier to slowy bring the power upto 780fps as i didnt wont to over shoot and end up using more air.
    During this i tried using hammer wieghts and preload washers this didnt have any effect on the FPS just made the gun harder to cock, though in the future i may try again to see if makes anitbounce hammer work anymore efficient.

I lost count how many times i stripped and rebuilded the gun as my valve had started leaking so i had buy a brandnew own, Julian Bond on AAOC is very helpful and a good price for spares.

10. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

I'm trying to achieve a ballance between the hammer & valve spring tensions and how much the hammer can push the valve to achieve the right power output I was surprised to find the original hammer lighter than the 2 piece.
    I'm now wondering what transfer port sizes people have on their regged s400's I felt mine was large enough at 3.7mm.
    And yeah setting up a regulator isn't for someone with no time I done in 2 tanks of air so far and I'm now waiting for a refill tomorrow.

11. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

This is why I put some aluminium fillers into the air tube, reduced the volume by about half. I used less air and fewer pellets in shooting strings and it didn't take anywhere near as long. I don't mind using air shooting but I hate dumping it just so I can get to the valve.
    From what I have seen and read 3.8mm is as large as you'd want to go and may be a bit too big. at the moment I've stuck with 3.2mm and 100 bar regulator pressure. You may be able to reduce your regulator pressure, the suggestion I saw from Rob Lane was that with a 3.8 port you could be looking at 80-90 bar.

12. cloverleaf

Good work - interesting numbers. Is the stroke the same as the old striker? Are you using the same striker spring?

Yes; a valve held closed by a regged pressure of 80bar has around half the load acting on it that there would be at the midpoint in a well-setup unregged gun's ideal operating pressure range (around 150-160bar) so it's correspondingly easier to open :)

While it could be lighter I wouldn't say the S400's striker is particularly portly - IIRC it weighs 45-46g; by comparison the striker in an HW100 is about 56g from memory. By contrast the strikers in "previous generation" rifles (AA 100 series and pre-Classic DS Huntsmen) are usually in the order of 100g+!

Admittedly the strikers in earlier FX guns and the AA S200 are pretty light compared to the 400; though.

Good work on the ally bars - similarly I use a TDR cylinder (200mm OAL) for testing for similar reasons. This gives a total "test range" of around 50 shots with a .22 Carbine barrel - would be good if I could reduce this a little further though ideally.

The transfer port size, reg pressure and striker impact energy / momentum are all connected and affect the rifle's output and behaviour when coming off reg. A larger port is good to a point (arguments about irreversible mods notwithstanding ;)) however I suspect going too large will push the "ideal" operating pressure too low; meaning that you'll get a muzzle energy spike when coming off reg.

I get the impression that striker characteristics can perhaps be altered to manipulate rifle behaviour - I suspect that striker impact energy is directly related to valve lift, while impact momentum is connected to valve dwell.

Dwell is especially important to un-regged guns with choked transfer ports as the flow capacity of the port is maxed out at relatively low valve lift figures - so once open past a fairly low lift value the valve will not flow any more as the flow rate through the system is restricted by the transfer port. IMO in an unregged rifle valve lift is largely incidental and dwell is the controlling factor.

Conversely in a regged gun the port is wide open and you're looking to pass a larger volume of lower pressure air through the system. The valve can open significantly further before the transfer port becomes the restricting factor; so lift becomes more important.

Finally some thoughts on the 2pc Rob Lane striker - notice how the mass of the assembly as a whole (around 44g) is similar to that of the original striker (around 45-46g).

All else being equal (stroke and striker spring characteristics) this striker should give a similar lock time (proper, striker release to valve stem impact) to the original striker running in an un-regged gun; however since one half of the striker (and around one half by mass) impacts the valve body its energy and momentum are lost - leaving only the "active" part to act on the valve.

It's conveinient that the striker now effectively has around half the mass, energy and momentum of the original, yet since the valve only has around half the force acting on it the system still works sufficiently. In practice I wouldn't expect this relationship to be completely linear, but shouldn't be far off :)

Of course this split in mass of the two parts of the AB striker is required since it's the ability of the "inactive" part of the striker to lose momentum and energy as it impacts the valve body on successive striker impacts that reduces their severity and limits air loss.

If you want to play devil's advocate, knowing that the (regged) valve will now satisfactorily function with around half the striker momentum and energy, moving away from 2-pc anti-bounce strikers would allow you to reduce the stroke of the original setup (probably by around a third) or cut the mass of the striker in two - both of which would yield significant reductions in lock and shot development time. Of course you'd still have the very significant issue of bounce to deal with..

As usual, there's no such thing as a free lunch :p

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  13. XTX

XTX Donator

The people who complain about the cost of fitting regs should read this. Sadly the setup that works well in one S4*0 will not work the same in the next one. They can be a royal PITA.

14. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

The two piece hammer compresses the striker spring by an extra 3mm and I didn't plan on changing the striker spring but I wouldn't rule it out.
    Just to note that my original hammer is only 40g have you got your hammer weights mixed up or is it my original hammer that's different?

15. cloverleaf

So you've got a bit more preload so are putting in a bit more striker energy then.

I'm reasonably certain about the striker weight (which includes bearings / bushes) however I can't be 100% certain that this figure is correct. I'll try and remember to weigh one the next time I get the opportunity :)

16. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I entirely agree, it takes a lot of time to get everything right, even for someone who knows exactly what they're doing which is not the category that most owners fit into!
    This does touch on the quality control issue as two seemingly identical rifles will almost certainly require different settings.

17. Akita177

My findings where pre-load and hammer wieghts had no influence of the FPS with the anti bounce hammer i assume with how it works brass carrier gap with the valve body was the main factor on that side of the gun.
    The only hammer wieght i used was the oring that came pre-fitted on the anti bounce hammer.
    The TP port i had just the point on the end of the grub of the screw no thread showing in the TP i felt i lost compression other wise, but as XTX says S4xx are a pain in the rear end.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  18. Akita177

Has anyone considerd fileing the point on the venturi grub screw flat?
    Being flat you could have it flush with the wall of the transfer port so its fully open but not lose any compression?

19. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

I did look at the grub screw but figured with it fully retracted the small cavity left because of the shape wouldn't cause much disruption to the air flow.

20. Akita177

With a cavity there could be some loss of compression, possible small loss in power/efficiency.