1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Value for money?

Discussion in 'Sales Graveyard' started by Geordie-Gunner, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Geordie-Gunner

Geordie-Gunner Member

Hi All,

I am new to all of this and i am looking at purchasing an air rifle in the near future. As i have relatively no experience in this, i was hoping some of you would be able to help me out. Reading up on the net i feel the best gun for myself would be a springer, purely because of their simpleness and cost.

What i have been fussing over is i'm not sure wether or not to buy a gun brand new, or wether or not to buy a second hand gun with the possibility of getting more value for my money. I was thinking of paying between £150-£200 to be set up with a rifle and scope.

Any ideas chaps?

All feedback appreciated, Cheers !

2. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, so you want to get an air rifle? if you put more info like. targets or vermin, .177 or .22. plastic or wooden, stock, underlever or break barrel. new or good s/h, you have said a springer thats ok as can get a silencer for most. there are many to choose from lots of new shooter ask this question and you will get a good responce from forum members. this is my first thoughts a stoeger XS suppressor and scope kit, had good reviews. not tried 1 myself as no gun shop near. :mad: but have ordered the new webley pump up. i can vouch for the BSA LIGHTNING XL too as wayne suggested.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  3. eastlincs

eastlincs Engaging Member

Safe to say for that budget you'll get more for your money second hand id of thought.

4. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

a WELL TUNED SPRINGER WOULD SUIT YOU WELL AND WILL BE EASILY AVAILABLE FOR THAT KIND OFMONEY. OOps, sorry!

You can get a good rifle set up for your budget and use it for a bit, then for about £75 have it tuned (Simon, The Airgun Doctor does V-Mach tuning, one of only 3 places that do) and it will shoot smoother, more consistently and be easier to cock. Tuning will transform a good rifle into a great rifle.

As already said, what do you intend to do with it. The more information provided, the more accurate can be the responses. I would look to buy a good used outfit rther than new - 20% VAT eats into what you can get!

5. langy

langy Engaging Member

have a look in the sales section on this site mate, alot of decent guns go up there... ive bought 2 off here myself, for that month you could get a nice bsa lightning + a decent scope... for scope if you dont get 1 with the gun then id suggest nikko stirling, very good quality for the price.

i mention lightning because i have 1 and know they are nice to shoot and also very good guns.

6. gotta go tactical

gotta go tactical Posting Addict

A good first springer would be from the Weirauch or BSA range...Not too up on the Weirauch range as have never owned one but can highly recommend a second hand well looked after BSA Lightning XL...This was what I consider my first decent springer and still have it in my collection and use it regularly for hunting...You can also look at getting a gas strut added at a later date or a vmach kit depending on what you want out of your shooting...There will be plenty of recommendations to your question but narrow it down to a couple of rifles you like the look of and then I would suggest you go to your local gun shop and try a few as they are all different and some will not suit some people of feel right once you have it shouldered...Find what feels comfortable for you and enjoy your shooting...Welcome to the forum too...:up:

7. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, for just a looky, bagnall and kirkwood are quite near and very good customer service.

8. 177

177 Donator

Pop into Frasers Angling & Outdoors (Gateshead) and explain that you're planning on getting into airgun shooting.

You really need to identify whether you will be hunting, plinking or target/HFT shooting, or a combination thereof.

Don't discuss budget unless pressed, but ask to see a couple of break barrel springers to give you a sense of whether any particular gun feels more comfortable.

Then thank them for their time, step back and think about your options.

New is possible within your budget but you would get more bang for your buck buying used, provided you are willing to take a risk. New guns obviously have a warranty while used ones rarely do but, in all fairness, a well looked after air gun ought to last for many years so unless its been neglected problems, if they do occur, will usually be minor and easily dealt with.

John and Sport & Leisure in Blyth often has a small selection of used air rifles, and so do Bagnall and Kirkwoods in Newcastle.

Just like cars you will get more for your money buying private, but some like the reassurance of buying from a dealer.

Whatever you buy don't faff with it at all, unless you have to install a scope from scratch - concentrate on developing good shooting technique with the gun as it is. Once you have good technique nailed you can start making adjustments to the gun.

Better to repeatedly miss high and right (for example) and then move your sights accordingly than move your sites every shot you take and then vary each shot due to bad technique.

If you have no land to shoot over you could pop over to Steve Smith's near Dinnington.

Calibre: unless you have some sort of preference in mind, .177 offers flatter flight and therefore 'easier' accuracy over varying distance, while .22 is less affected by cross winds. That's a gross oversimplification and there are loads of other factors to take into account, but rather than start yet another pointless calibre debate you need to keep one point in mind: you make the shot, and if it goes where it is supposed to within acceptable range then your quarry is dead, regardless of calibre.

I prefer .177 but I also own and use .22, and as long as I use either one effectively it ought not to matter which I'm shooting.

Just don't get too caught up in the whole mass debate ;) on which calibre or you will never get shooting...

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

9. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

At the budget you have the difference in the quality you'll get between brand new and secondhand is quite large. Secondhand you should just about get a Weihrauch break barrel and basic scope which'll last a lifetime with little maintenance. Brand new you'll be looking at something like a Hatsan or whatever your local dealers have. While Hatsans have come on in leaps and bounds recently and their new range are actually decent guns they are not Weihrauch quality yet. Don't forget that brand new = local dealer thanks to the VCR act so you will be limited to what they stock. Secondhand opens up every type of gun from sites such as this as they can be posted directly to you.

10. Geordie-Gunner

Geordie-Gunner Member

Thanks for comments so far and apologies for my being quite vague. I intend on using the rifle for hunting, so im lead to believe that a .22 cal would be more suitable for what i want. Unfortunately, my knowledge is limited in all the different gun types and springer right now is as technical as i can go lol ! I was looking at the likes of a BSA, noticed the comet had some great reviews but wasnt too sure. With it being plastic i had the impression in my head of it being some chinese sh**e. Also, i feel anybody at the minute could sell me a 'well-maintained' gun, as i wouldnt really know any different. Any tips?

Thanks again, much appreciated folks !

11. 177

177 Donator

Neither calibre is any more or less suited to hunting, so you might want to consider all options instead of just .22, but that's entirely down to you and just a suggestion.

Some guns are better than others, and price doesn't always accurately reflect the differences.

I can't stress enough the importance of mounting the gun to your shoulder a few times at the least, just to give you a feel for it. Shooting it is even better, but mounting to your should gives an opportunity to see whether you feel comfortable, whether it feels balanced or 'top heavy', whether you feel like you have to hunch your neck for scope alignment and so on.

I'd also suggest you run some Google searches on the artillery hold which will help you get the most from any springer.

Being comfy with a gun accounts for the majority of how you will perform with it in my opinion.

I tried a cheap-as-chips air rifle today - it's looks are a real marmite love it or hate it kind of thing but it sat well in the shoulder and within a few shots I was knocking nails in, as they say. Looks and price are not the same as comfortable, accurate and effective.

My view is if you aren't happy with the gun you will always doubt it - it's human nature. On that basis if you have your heart set on something in particular you may as well chase one down or you will always be asking yourself "what if". Confidence in your kit goes a long way.

The silly thing is, most guns can far outperform the people who shoot them at almost every price point.

Not many people challenge the upper ceiling limits of accuracy that their guns are capable of.

A couple of pro pest controllers I know shoot BSA, Cometa and Gamo spring guns almost exclusively and they are very, very effective with them.

Tripling the price won't triple their accuracy/effectiveness...

Buy it, learn it, use it. As long as the kit is in good fettle you are the one who will make it go where it's supposed to, so the part you play is the most important, and is way more crucial than the kit you are using.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  12. peteb823

peteb823 Posting Addict

Definitely go second hand mate, better deals to be had. Sales section on here is good, forum members also have feedback given if sold bought before. This feedback helps with worries if buying and rifle has to be posted to you. Also keep an eye out in your local free adds papers. Reads reviews of rifles . Go to a gun shop and try a few out for size/weight . Hope you find something suitable :)

13. reaper6

reaper6 Banned

The best thing to do is buy secondhand......dont be in a hurry just take your time....preferably buy one you have looked at and handled...there are some bargains out there if your in no rush

14. Geordie-Gunner

Geordie-Gunner Member

Okay, it seems people are pointing me in the way of possibly the second hand option. I do worry that, because i have no knowledge of air rifles, i wouldnt know too much about what i was buying. Any ideas of what would be a good second hand buy for my price range? Any guns to keep clear of? And also any tell tale signs of a neglected rifle?

Keep your input coming please, finding it very useful !

Cheers

15. 177

177 Donator

Most people stick with mainstream and well-known brands and models: this can help keep resale value quite steady but, to be honest, you aren't going to lose that much on a £200 outfit if you decide to shift it on any time.

Weirhauch HW95 or 99 could be an option if you are lucky, or BSA Lightning can all be a good bet.

Check for obvious signs of neglect or ill-treatment - rust, deep scratches and serious dings in the stock could point to hard use, poor maintenance or having been dropped.

Look at the screws and bolts that hold the stock to the action - if the heads are badly worn, chewed up and show similar signs then they could well have been 'got at' by someone who couldn't be hassled to find the correct sized screwdriver or wrench. If they can't be bothered to do even that, any 'maintenance' they have performed is likely to be suspect at best.

Use your common sense really, same as buying a car.

Expect some fair signs of wear and tear but anything severely marked should either be avoided or approached with caution, and with a view of paying less for it !

Some pretty ambitious prices come up on the second hand market, so spend a little time and watch out for the type of gun(s) you think you might plump for and get a feel for the price brackets they tend to shift in. Everyone wants a bargain and sellers want to maximise their return, so get a sense of the middle ground before taking the plunge.

There are quite a few members from your region on here so I'm sure you could take a willing accomplice along to view a potential purchase - just choose your advisor carefully. Impartial advice is hard to give and tough to find...

16. Geordie-Gunner

Geordie-Gunner Member

Popped into Frasers Angling after work and got some sound advice, he did honestly say that there are more shops local to us (gateshead/newcastle) who deal with predominantly shooting. Anybody who lives near by know of any shops? I know of the county house in newcastle but i got the sense there was more than just that.

Cheers

17. jme99s

jme99s Donator

Take a look at cometa air rifles I've got a 100 very good little ratting rifle have a look at the cometa 300 they have very good reviews caliber dosnt really matter as long as you shoot accurately and within range

18. Geordie-Gunner

Geordie-Gunner Member

Okay, i am going to be looking for something which is going to be capable of killing some wabbits when possible ! Im getting the impression most of these guns will do so anyways, but its just with jimmy2's reference to ratting. Hope i dont sound like im being picky there, just want the best advice for what im specifically after. Gained a lot so far, so please keep your thoughts coming.

Cheers

19. 177

177 Donator

The Cometa suggestion is a very good one - they offer great value for money.

The 'cheap as chips' gun I mentioned that I'd been playing with earlier is a Gamo Whisper X.

Marmite 'love it or hate it' looks and maybe not as strong as other brands for resale value, but it feels very good in the shoulder and is a very, very easy gun to shoot. The trigger isn't the greatest but still works well enough and it's tough to knock holes in an overall price of £150 brand new for a full power break barrel with a very effective silencer.

I've deliberately tried not to recommend one gun over another since it all becomes entirely subjective and personalised.

I love my .177 Weihrauch HW95K and it's my go-to gun for most of my shooting. It might stretch your budget though, so looking at alternative brands could well offer some interesting alternatives.

I thoroughly enjoyed shooting the
    Gamo Whisper X today but I'm struggling to get over its looks - irrational I know, since the rabbits and pigeons don't give a fig and the most important characteristics any gun can offer you is comfortable, consistent performance. Daft really because it sits so well in the shoulder and offers quiet accuracy at a low price.

My uncle offered me the gun for nothing and I've not decided yet whether to take him up on it. I'm very tempted just by its sheer 'shoot-ability'. Airgun snobs take note...

Mainstream works, but often comes at a price.

A few Cometa and Gamo models fall within your price range brand new, so they could be an option.

Lots of potential choices to be made.

What build are you ?

There is a wide range of weight in spring guns - I'm a big bloke but I prefer light guns.

A heavier gun dampens recoil (only up to a point) but any gun of any weight can be shot well if you get your hold right (refer to the artillery hold I mentioned earlier).

My uncle's favourite gun ever was an ancient BSA Meteor, either a mark 1 or 2.

I'd put money on it never producing more than about 9 ft lbs, probably between 7 and 8, but he used to hunt with it almost exclusively and anything out to 20 yards was as good as in the pot.

No fancy-pants trigger or stock, but he knew how to use it, which is the most important thing.

If I get that
    Gamo Whisper X off him and if we aren't a million miles apart (I work on the Team Valley) you can have a play if you like - you can compare it with my HW95k and possibly one or two others as well.

Personally I don't view resale value as an important when we're talking about £150 - £200, but others might.

It's all about identifying your own priorities - do a "requirements analysis" and be guided by it; identifying what you need (as opposed to what you want) is more than half the battle.

20. 177

177 Donator

Just spied the following on another forum:

Cometa 300 .22 with hawk 4-12*50 ao ir scope custom stock £80ono

Bargains are sometimes to be had...