1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Utterly and abjectly p****d off..

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by cloverleaf, Mar 7, 2014.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

My experience of the airgun industry over the past 6 months or so has been absolutely p**s-poor. I won't mention any names as some things are still in progress, however recently I've had the following delightful experiences:

Bought a brand new, entry level but good quality and well-known break barrel. Found it had a few marks on the action but put them to the back of my mind in light of the gun's price point. Soldiered on to find that a common problem that was supposed to have been fixed had only really been moved. Found that the stock screws shook loose every 50 shots as the firing cycle created so much vibration. Found that the gun shoots 5" low at 20yds as the barrel on the p**s downwards due to a wonky locking wedge on the cylinder. Fitted a tuning kit from a well-respected supplier, to find that it produces less energy than the standard kit with far less efficiency. Wish I'd never laid eyes on the f*cking thing - will try and get it sorted under warranty, but suspect this will be like p*****g into the wind and that I'll eventually flog it on at a sizeable loss :down:

Ordered some replacement parts from a well-known and respected manufacturer. When they eventually turned up the finish was terrible on several components; due in part to poor finishing in production but also damage and scratches. Two of the supposedly mating parts wouldn't even fit together. Several of the parts had been mis-supplied and were wrong. Upon returning the affected bits was told that the item that didn't fit had been altered so that it now would, however supplier was extremely reluctant to replace said part; despite the fact that the finish was (IMO) unacceptable. "They're all like that" I was told.. funny that, since the examples fitted to new rifles are nowhere near as shonky as this one was. An example of seconds and rejects being punted out to the spares market? Thoroughly expecting the replacement to be just as shambolically sub-standard. :down:

Sent some bits to well-respected company to be re-finished. The process took about four times as long as it should have (not that I was overly bothered), upon redelivery courier found nobody in, forged signature and left them out in the rain; nearly a week before they were found. Fortunately not rusty, but scratched (presumably this happened before they'd left the place that was refinishing them) so they need to go back. :down:

Bought a brand new, high-end pre-charged sporting rifle. My first new PCP purchase for 13yrs. Found scratches and marks all over the barrel. It's extremely pellet sensitive. Can see tooling marks inside the barrel. It's running perilously close to the legal limit. Action rocks about and moves in the stock like Eric Pickles on a rodeo steer after 10 pints. F*cking disgrace considering what it cost. Again, wish I'd never wasted my money. :down:

Please don't ask me to name and shame the people involved.. I won't be drawn on this issue and whos and wheres are not the point of my post. My point is that it seems that absolutely nobody in the mainstream airgun industry either a) gives a Censored about the quality of their products or their customer's welfare, or b) apparently knows their arse from their elbow.

It seems that even the most basic, fundamental prerequisites of purchasing a new item (that it works, is legal and doesn't look like it's been dragged through a barbed wire fence) are largely outside the ability (or botheration spectrum) of most suppliers and manufacturers. It seems that you have to fight tooth and nail to get what rightfully should be expected to come as standard; and when you do, having wasted four times as long on the process as it should have taken, you're treated like an unreasonable p***k.

Tbh pretty much everyone is on my Censored list at the moment,and considering the three brand new (and not cheap) rifles I've bought in the last 3yrs have ranged from utter crap to barely acceptable, I don't see me looking towards the new market in future. b*llocks to buying anything else new tbh; I'll stick with my existing rifles if my latest purchases and dealings with the industry are any indication of the substandard crap I'm likely to get in future.

Thoroughly disgusted tbh - no wonder the industry's dying on it's arse :down:

Anyone else feel the same?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  2. cubera

cubera Well-Known Member

Well, that was a comprehensive rant. I am especially interested as I am in the process of buying a shop from a guy who has an RFD licence - and am going through the palaver of getting one in my own name. Now, at present the shop sells a good deal of fishing tackle, and not many pistols or rifles, inexpensive ones at that. I hope to change this somewhat, with a view to selling guns from just two manufacturers, so that I can ensure I have a reasonable degree of expertise with each item I sell. I promise you, if I am supplied, by either manufacturer, any item which is not up to scratch (unfortunate use of the expression, in the circs, I suppose!), then neither you, not anyone else will be buying it. It will be straight back to supplier. I do not believe there is any excuse for selling anything which is visually sub-standard - and I will be checking. Of course, I won't be able to make sure they all shoot straight - though I might even get to doing that, too. And I don't care whether we are talking £50 CO2 pistols, or £1500 tarts' hand-bags (okay, okay, I've got one), the same care should apply. I want HAPPY customers, and am totally amazed that others seem not to care.

3. reaper6

reaper6 Banned

Absolute rubbish thread ...instead of moaning about it.....SEND IT BACK.....POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE SHOULD BE NAMED AND SHAMED

4. jay5488

jay5488 Donator

I see where your coming from, I am finding that on purchasing new rifles, from very basic seat of your pants springers, to more expensive springers and mid priced pcp's, these are my rifles by the way, every one of them, without exception, has been stripped by myself and the extremely shonky workmanship has had to be put right!!!
    This varies from screw's simply not tightened all the way to removing embedded swarf in seals?????
    Only today I stripped my PCP, from new, this part has not been touched by me until today, to find a severely crimped o ring???? WTF!!!!!!
    So as in an earlier thread, I don't care for warrentys as the workmanship I've experienced, well, I'd sooner do the work myself at least I know it's done right!!!!

But this shouldn't be the case and it does anger me!!!!!

5. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

i know exactly how you feel.... new rifle poorly fitting guides and other issues, new stock poorly machined and finished. new trigger with chips to finish and an adjustment screw that had to be "adjusted", in fact everything i've bought the last few months has needed "finishing! or sending back.....

6. audiguypaul

audiguypaul Donator

Thats not good at all and i think i would be sending stuff back. Maybe they think they can get away with it because most dont complain or know any better. My new 510 was over the limit and needed to go back, sorted but took 4 weeks.

7. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

i think his post is more to do with the general trend these days of stuff being knocked out sub standard... sometimes it easier to just fix the bl@@dy things yourself...

8. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

same in my line of work, ordered parts they come in wrong or broken, no one holds they hands up and says sorry, couple of years ago I was doing loads of work, I spent over 80k in that wholesalers, all I got out of them all the time was sorry. when I first started fitting solar panels, the maker was labelling them all up wrong and sent out all the wrong panels and bits :mad: its just this country work ethic

9. reaper6

reaper6 Banned

If its new send it back...ie not fit for purpose...the worst thing anyone can do is moan behind closed doors....make a noise tell someone... and most importantly TELL THEM

10. Wild Bill

Wild Bill co2 Enthusiast, HW97, K98 owner

Sleaford, Lincolnshire and Wales sometimes.
    As I have mentioned many time before, AMTA and the airgun trade in general treat us as cash cows. They really don't care once they have made the sale. I blame the airgun magazines and the trade in general for not only poor and shoddy service, ripping us all off with anti tamper but for also selling to us below par airguns and overly expensive parts, pellets and anything else they can rip us off with.

11. jay5488

jay5488 Donator

Yeah, Completely agree........
    Send it back to the lunatics who don't build them right in the first place!!!!:rolleyes:

12. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

I enjoy a rant as much as the next man (probably more) but I'm at a loss as to why the effort to rant is there but the desire to help others by naming isn't? Keeping schtum is only helping those ranted about.

13. Wild Bill

Wild Bill co2 Enthusiast, HW97, K98 owner

Sleaford, Lincolnshire and Wales sometimes.
    Got to agree with that. We are free to name and shame shoddy service and products of any company surely?

14. fletchisbored

fletchisbored Engaging Member

Either that or the op has still got bits and pieces with them he doesn't want to go missing in the post when being sent back to him.

15. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

I second Reaper6 response, If it's not fit for purpose send it back, THEY need to know that their product is trousers!!!!
    Atb Paul.

16. trumpetier

trumpetier Pro Poster

How many people buy a brand spanking HW ? then the first thing they do is pull it apart :eek:because the inards are shxte. How many buy a BSA pcp then send it off to jb ? utter madness. I myself will only buy secondhand these days, i have learnt my leason ;)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  17. andy draper

andy draper Posting Addict

To me guns are like cars,never buy a new one.You loose money the second you receive them,the first few months are always iffy in case they go wrong,warranties are great if the dealers can be bothered standing by them and not fobbing you off with timewasting excuses and substandard repairs.The only time I would buy new is if I won the lotto and money was no object.When you do buy second hand,you may get a wrong un every so often,but most problems can be seen at the time of purchase and you either walk away or do a better deal.If you get ripped off in a postal purchase,most repairs can be done by yourself at a fraction of the cost of using a smith to do the work.
    All this being my opinion,it is no consolation if you have fallen victim to the crap turned out today.Especially,if like cloverleaf you are a perfectionist,and more than competent at all things technical.
    andy.

18. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

I must admit I quite like buying old knackered rifles that I know need sorting - at least that way I know what I'm up against and I also know that when I've finished the fettling I'll have a rifle that I am confident in, understand well and know is legal.

19. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

I found Arthur Bale & Sons in Cardiff to be excellent. Fixed up my HW100 blow off valve (that's what I call it) a treat. It was a mess of my own making but not a bad price at £45.

20. tombillings916

tombillings916 Donator

It seems that we English just seem to accept that we continually get ripped off/suffer shoddy workmanship but never complain! How many of us get asked in a restaurant if the foods OK and we all say 'yeah it's fine' when it's utter crap - the French don't muck about, they'll go mad/protest in the streets and we just get on with it! If the goods are new then as others have said - SEND IT BACK and let them know that you want a product that's worthy of the good money you paid for it, if you say nothing then that's what you'll get - nothing!