1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Ussr Made Baikal Ij-22

Discussion in 'Vintage collectable airguns' started by DrGunn, Nov 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. DrGunn

DrGunn Busy Member

I recently acquired an old and slightly battered air rifle as a project. I didn’t know anything about it at the time apart from the fact it was made in the USSR which intrigued me. A little searching once I got it home revealed its a .177, 1970s Baikal ij-22.
    It has plastic medallions set into the stock above the trigger and a lever operated barrel catch.
    7B11B957-7780-4DB0-B56C-A6D4AA5B7BF5.jpeg EAB7BA99-6FC2-48A3-8DE5-2D61F0198539.jpeg 31B833EE-6D55-4DD7-B806-8E4287FCAEA0.jpeg

It had obviously had no attention for a long time, it is missing both front stock mounting screws, had light surface rust and the stock finish is flaking off. The missing screws prevent me from testing it so I’ve stripped it down for a clean and inspection. A quick rub with oil and wire wool removed all the surface rust and the blueing is remarkably well presented for something which looked so neglected. Internally it was very dry and the leather seal didn’t look great, with a bit of oil I think it should be ok though. Otherwise the action looks pretty good and it shouldn’t need anything other than a good clean and re-lube.

I will find some suitable screws to fix the stock and will machine up a replacement screw cup to replace the missing one. The stock looks awful and needs re-finished but I’m not sure how I should finish it. As far as I can tell these were finished with a reddish varnish. My preference would’ve to re-finish with oil but I’m not sure which colour I should stain it first - should I try to achieve the original reddish colour or go for a more traditional brown? What do people think?

talent, Slipknot88, Lon'gun and 3 others like this.
  2. Slipknot88

Slipknot88 Person of interest

Hi, it depends on what your plans are for it afterwards, keeping or selling?if it's getting sold on not worth spending to much time and money on it.

3. DrGunn

DrGunn Busy Member

That’s a good question... I have no idea what I’ll do with it once it’s fixed.
    I brought it as a project as I enjoy fixing up old springers.

I’ve cleaned, lubed and reassembled the action, it’s actually very well made - better than a lot of newer guns I’ve worked on.

4. Slipknot88

Most of the old ones are better by far, I fix up a lot of old springers,some are easy to move on and some not so, these days I don't go to far on restoration unless it's something nice or unusual ,or I end up getting stuck with them.

5. DrGunn

DrGunn Busy Member

I have accumulated quite a few as I rarely get around to trying to move them on. I might have to try and sell some at some point though as I’m starting to run out of space...

6. Slipknot88

I have an outlet for most of my cheap and cheerfull stuff once it's tidy and working,relums and suchlike unless very cheap don't move too quickly, found that meteors sell best.

7. Radlad

Radlad Posting Addict

I've just dismantled an action from one that had a smashed piston (came out in 4 pieces) Got trigger bits etc if you need them. stock went on the barby. Sawed the barrel up and used it to make a new barrel assembly for a Hubertus and line a Schofield to give it some rifling. What did surprise me is that the barrel is fitted with a brass rifled liner, very neatly done.

One thing I have found out about Soviet stuff is that it is always well engineered and functional but the target orientated production they worked under seems to make corner cutting compulsory. It's the bits you can't see that they skimped on, especially heat treatment. nowt wrong with the steel used or the machining.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    Slipknot88 and DrGunn like this.
  8. DrGunn

DrGunn Busy Member

I believe the piston is cast steel - I can see why it could fail it’s its not properly heat treated. The only thing I’m missing is the front stock screws - everything else is present and in pretty good condition considering it’s age.

I’ll strip the stick soon and then decide what what finish to give it.

9. Radlad

Radlad Posting Addict

Sadly, no stock screws with mine as it came in 2 big bits after sitting in a shed for years. can't even determine the screw size as the air cylinder went to the scrappy a couple of weeks ago.

10. ggggr

ggggr Crap old gun tinkerer and wine maker

I think the front stock screws are 4 or 5 mm.
    I did a stock on one that came up very well. The hard bit was trying to get all the original stain out! The wood is very white. There was some stain that wouldn't come out----so I striped the stock with a blowlamp then dabbed 2 colours of stain on it and did it with linseed oil.
    If NORM is reading --he might vouch for how it looked.
    Fred--you burnt a stock!!!!! You know what will happen now?--an action will need one! If you dont have plans, please put the trigger to one side for me. No harm in having a spare--especially when you cannot get the bits.

11. DrGunn

DrGunn Busy Member

I have plenty of metric screws so sorting these out won’t be a problem.

What colour did you finish the stock - did you try to match the original reddish colour?

12. norman

norman Donator

I can confirm that on my recent visit to the Welsh airgun museum...:p...I did indeed see a very nice Baikal with a particularly well figured stock...i've had a couple of these well made airguns over the years...they don't compare to the old German stuff but should get some respect as there isn't that many around these days:up:

DrGunn likes this.
  13. DrGunn

DrGunn Busy Member

I’ll make sure i make the stock more presentable then.

14. Radlad

Radlad Posting Addict

Trigger, sear , springs , cocking lever, locking lever , breech pivot and a few screws are in my junk box. You are welcome to them. I'll put them aside for you. There have been a few reasonable condition ones for sale recently. I think Cheshire gun room had one in their projects section for £30 last week and there was one on freeads in Norwich for £20. I don't think they are uncommon or rare, plenty about.

15. ggggr

I didnt try to match the original colour. Like I said --I marked it with a clow lamp and used 2 different colours of stain (It might have actually been 1 but diluted for some of it) . It is a lovely stock though. If you strip yours it may be white like the ones I've seen. Not worth gong to the trouble if you are going to sell it on but worth it if it is a keeper. They are lovely little guns.

16. DrGunn

DrGunn Busy Member

I finally got back to the IJ 22. It took a fair bit of sanding to get the red stain off, underneath the stock is very white - looks like Birch.

B3313291-C5D9-4B04-BE53-9F84625B3ACA.jpeg

I stained it with what I had handy, I think this stain is a bit old and isn’t as dark as it should be though. I turned up some new screw cups and stock screws so all back together now. It shoots but not very consistently, the piston and breach seals didn’t look too bad but may need more attention. The barrel is very tight, every pellet I’ve tried has been a challenge to seat. Will fiddle with it more at some point and might darken the stock a bit more. It’s a lot better than it was when I picked it up though.

BF7E3E68-942B-4843-92AE-42E3B3BEF442.jpeg

Slipknot88, BARNEY20 and norman like this.
  17. ggggr

They are usually VERY accurate little plinkers--but most pellets are tight in them. It doesnt look like yours has scope rails? So it must be an early one.
    Often I find guns that have been stripped need about 150-200 shots through them to settle.

18. DrGunn

DrGunn Busy Member

Thanks, it’s useful to know that it’s not just mine that’s a bit tight. No it doesn’t have a scope rail, fortunately the open sights are present and in excellent condition. I’ll keep playing with it and see if it settles. Any suggestion of pellets it might like?

19. ggggr

As I
    As I only use cheap pellets, I guess I've probably used Milbro Caledonians, Marksmen and Bulldog/ Smk Spitfires, which despite their reputation, some guns seem to like for plinking.
    If I speak to my mate tonight I'll ask what he uses.
    Just a thought---Apart from changing the breech seal which is a simple fix, Is the mainspring ok? I've found the accuracy on some low powered guns really goes to pot when the mainspring is on it's last legs.
    I'd be tempted to just put another 100 cheapest pellets through it and then change the breech seal and try another 50 , before looking at anything else.

DrGunn and Slipknot88 like this.
  20. Slipknot88

I normally get given loads of old pellets with the old wrecks that I buy and use them for testing and running in,milbro Caledonians are my favorite for this.:thumb:

DrGunn likes this.