1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Using up all my turret windage zeroing

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Capt, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Capt

Capt Engaging Member

Hi Forum, maybe you can help here please?

On Friday I removed my scope from a TX200 that had previously been zeroed with no turret windage adjustment required whatsoever, magic! I then mounted it directly to a new S400, a few shots at the range it required virtually all of my turret windage adjustment to centre the POI. I was thinking that my TX rails are bang on & so will be the S400, so could the S400 barrel band be misaligned?

2. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

It is possible for the barrel band (certainly on the 410) to be twisted out of alignment after a knock etc. It should be clamped to the tube with a couple of grub screws, slacken these off and allow the barrel to move to its natural position and then re-tighten the grub screws.
    Another possibility is that the scope mounts aren't fitted correctly and one or the other may not be aligned properly in the dovetail so check it visually and slacken off the screws (remove the scope first), just nip them up and then refit the scope nipping up those screws. When everything is in the right place you can tighten all the screws a bit at a time until it's firmly mounted.

3. sharpsman

sharpsman Pro Poster

Yes its a common thing with them as they are easily knocked.

4. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Top Poster

If I remember ritely the barrels are set under tension at the factory !...:up:

5. Capt

Capt Engaging Member

Just loosened them, can't believe that's all supporting & aligning the front of the barrel. If this is the case, the assembler at AA theoretically could have tightened the filling cap on the barrel band & then the grub screws causing a slight misalignment.

Will have to try it TMOZ, thanks for the advise.

6. Capt

Capt Engaging Member

tension in what way?

7. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

No, the barrel band is a support and the barrel simply sits in an o ring which is intended to stabilise the barrel. Some people (especially target shooters) like to remove the o ring and let the barrel free float or even get rid of the barrel section of the clamp. For hunting use I think this may be unwise.

8. Capt

Capt Engaging Member

Well loosened it off & nipped up the grub screws but has made no difference. Put the scope back on the TX & is still bang on centre & centred on the windage turrets, loosened all scope mount screws & re tightened still bang on with the TX. Put I back on the S400, but it's still out the same. Email off to AA for an explanation.

9. Capt

Capt Engaging Member

Well the saga continues..............

The S400 is back from AA after 6 Weeks they report there is nothing wrong with it!!! Before mounting anything the chamber has come back scratched, thanks AA. Just mounted two different scopes in the middle of the windage turret turns & the POI is still an inch right at 10 yards & still uses most of the windage to zero at 35 yards. To correct this the only thing I can think of is use fully adjustable mounts but how can this be right in the first place? I have loosened the barrel band, still no better, think I got a bad one but can't seam to get AA to accept my findings. Will have to think twice now about purchasing anymore of there guns. Not happy at all or am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

Can any of the forum shed any light on this I wonder?

10. sej016

sej016 Donator

The only suggestion I ever received for this problem was to turn the mounts by 180 degrees, i.e, the other way around. Sometimes it can make a difference.

You might try swapping front for back, too? (But not at the same time).

11. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

If the barrel band isn't causinf a problem then you could look at the mounts themselves. Are they properly fitted to the dovetail? Sometimes the clamps don't fit very well or they might be a burr which is stopping the base fitting properly into the dovetail. You might try the suggestion from sej016, swap the mounts over front to back, keeping the screws on the same side as they are now or you can just turn both mounts through 180 degrees, unfortunately some mounts aren't well made.
    If this doesn't do the job then you may have a slightly bent barrel, this is quite common as it's quite difficult to make one that is dead straight and with the bore completely concentric. Yo check this you would need to loosen the barrel and with the rifle clamped firmly fire a series of shots, rotating the barrel about 30 degrees each time. It is likely that you will get a circular pattern of holes in the target indicating that the barrel is bent. It's probably best to set it so that the bend is upwards as this will normally help with zeroing. I don't know if this is possible with this rifle or not but someone will know for certain. It is possible to straighten a barrel but it is a job which requires knowledge and care to get it right.
    Hopefully the mounts will be the problem and can be put right simply.

12. sticko

sticko Well-Known Member

I have seen this on Many occasions when they have just come back from aa just loosen the clamp and lightly twist the barrel lock it off should be okay

13. billy.whizz

billy.whizz Posting Addict

im not sure if this is any help, I bought a new a/a s200 which was and is like your a/a400, I didn't send it back even though its under warranty, will try the barrel turn and let you know what happens too mine.

14. Tron

Tron Donator

simplest way to sort your problem is to slack off the barrel support band then if its shooting too far left then gently twist your muzzle to the right while nipping up the band locking grub screws. very easy to do and will give you a certain amount of horizontal adjust on the scope.

15. Capt

Capt Engaging Member

Thanks for all your comments, I am more pxxxxd off that AA couldn't even sort it. I have loosened the barrel band, shot a few through and it still shoots to the right. Three scopes have been on it now all with sports match mounts & still the same so I assume now it's the barrel that needs a little help & reclamp the band. Failing that the barrel must be bent!

16. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Pushing the barrel across with the band is not a long term solution as it is liable to move and as the O ring gets worn it will slowly creep. You'll have to do it properly. You can try a straight edge along the outside of the barrel to see if there is an obvious bend but it might not be visible or it may only be the bore which is out of alignment, possibly only the last inch or so.

17. Capt

Capt Engaging Member

I assume then the barrel can be loosened at the breach block end if I have to try & rotate it? Is it only hand tight or is a special tool required to loosen the collet?

thanks once more!

18. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I'm not certain how it's fixed on your rifle, there are some experts here who will know exactly how it's done. Sorry.

19. Tron

Tron Donator

With the 400/510 series you can not just slack off the barrel at the receiver end and twist because the brass part you can see at the breech end is glued to the barrel and contains the O ring and the transfer port!. slacking off the barrel and twisting it would severely restrict the power of your rifle if twisted it more than 1/8" would result in no air at all pushing the pellet out. Bit pointless of some of the advisors on here giving you advice when they havent a clue about the correct way to help you with your problem. If you lived closer I would sort your gun out in just afew minutes.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  20. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

IF you have a silencer/air stripper/muzzle break you could try removing them and shooting again.

You can rotate the barrel on some guns to find there true north i.e but thats rifles like Sterys that dont have the transfer ports drilled into the barrel.