1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

using scope both eyes open. dominant eye issue

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by busanga, Sep 19, 2014.

1. busanga

busanga Posting Addict

I am right handed but I shoot my compound bow left handed because my dominant eye is left and is much better to shoot bow with both eyes open ,in which case you need to sight with dominant eye. But I still shoot a scoped rifle right handed and close my left , dominant, eye.

Am wondering whether to 'learn' to shoot rifle left handed and keep both eyes open.

Anybody else done this ?

2. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

A dominant left eye shouldn't really impact on shooting using a scope - the image for each eye is so different. If you do have problems it's probably easier to part or fully close your left eye than to find a full left handed rifle although they can be found, cloverleaf is the expert on them.

3. busanga

busanga Posting Addict

I take it you are suggesting it IS better to shoot with both eyes open though, regardless of dominant eye issues.

4. Pidlar

Pidlar Big Poster

Seen a few folk do it. Can't hurt to give it a go.

5. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

I shoot with my eye shut, though I'm shooting through my dominant right eye, I don't see any advantage to keeping it open.
    I believe you can change the dominance of the eye by wearing a blind on the eye in question, but it's a case of getting your brain rewired so you'll be walking around with a pair of blacked out specs for a week or two.

6. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

If you keep both eyes open you do have a chance of seeing what might be happening just outside the field of view of the scope. Not so important if you're shooting targets.

7. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    some would say I shoot with both eyes shut !

8. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I shoot with both open,as well as it being generally more comfortable (your not squeezing the muscles on one side of your face) it's also safer,you're no longer limited to the tiny FOV of the scope and you can see what's going on around you.

9. busanga

busanga Posting Addict

Hey mattyts are you looking through scope with dominant eye.

10. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Yes,I shoot right handed and use my right eye.

11. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

you need a eye blind, cut a strip of card tuck it in your cap covering your dom eye

12. busanga

busanga Posting Addict

But have you tested your right eye is the dominant eye

13. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I haven't up until now,I just tested about 5 minutes ago and my right eye is dominant for sure.

14. busanga

busanga Posting Addict

You are lucky, I am very right handed but left eye dominant, real pain when comes to shooting disciplines

15. busanga

busanga Posting Addict

Yes people do this alot in archery, eye dominance is more critical in archery than using as scope

16. shr1mp

shr1mp Donator

I'm a lefty with left eye dominance but shoot with both eyes open.
    Was struggling in hft last year taking kneelers as my left knee is pretty goosed with arthritis and just won't bend far enough back.
    This year i taught myself to shoot right handed on kneelers.
    Using my right eye, it felt strange at first but soon got used to it.(still keeping both eyes open)
    Has paid dividends in our club comps as there are a lot more kneeling and standing shots than you'd get in UKAHFT due to the lay of the land and how the drop downs are set out.
    Might try practicing prone and standing shots right handed this winter.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014