1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Uprating

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by mabo, Aug 7, 2007.

1. mabo

mabo Member

Hi does anyone know a good place that does gun uprating? Thanks

2. David

David Engaging Member

Most good gunsmiths will do a tuneup for you but they must abide by the law and be shown a FAC (firearm certificate) if you intend your gun(s) to be over the 12ftlb limit

3. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Hi, Is DIY out of the question?
    Have a go, I remember that Vulcans are pretty user friendly,aren't they?

4. nimrod

nimrod Well-Known Member

There are one or two tuning kits on the market available for the vulcan, however you will need the use of a cronograph to check the power aoutput with your chosen slugs when it is fitted...having the gun in your posession and over power is enough for you to get the mandatory 5 years and pleading innocence will not stop you from being nicked...it is yours and yours alone the responsibility to make sure the gun is not over the limit...for the sake of a few beers let a gunsmith tune the gun for you.

5. huntinguy

huntinguy Member

I have a few questions. Forgive me, I am from the other side of the pond, you know, the place where we drive on the wrong side and spell funny.

I have a Vulcan that I bought... close to thirty years ago. It has been a very good gun and I have sent a lot of pellets through it. I am guessing that I should do a tune up. (I think that is what you call uprating). I would also like to quite it down... spring slap noise... And, I put a scope on it and I had to readjust it up or down when I move the target more than a foot. I don't think that was right either. Shoots fine with open sights.

Air guns are just starting to get a good hold over here and information is a little better than it was even five years ago but, I am a more hands on type of guy and would rather do the work myself.

Can you fellows suggest a good book that I could read? and what is the upper limit of power for the Vulcan? We are not limited over here to the 12lb limit.

(I hope it was ok to post in this thread. It seemed like I was asking the same questions as the original thread)

6. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

I don't think you will get much more than 12fpe out of a vulcan without increasing harshness.
    Try a maccari kit http://www.airguns.citymax.com/catalog/item/251488/552850.htm

you will also need a new piston seal if your is 30 years old, i would imagine your seal will be pretty worn by now and a new seal will make all the difference.
    Ask maccari if he does one that will fit a vulcan. :)

7. Vulcanator

Vulcanator Engaging Member

Didn't realize you were an ex-pat, I did send you an e-mail about your Vulcan, let me know if you got it and need more help.

8. huntinguy

huntinguy Member

Andy: Thanks, I will check it out. I really wished I could get more the 12fpe out of it. I have used it on rats and I wished it hit a little harder. I use flat point match pellets, trying to get as much shock as I can. They seem to bounce off crows though. (Ranges are inside 30 yards.)

Vulcanator: I PM'ed you. Didn’t get your email.:(

Anyone have any idea why it shoots so far off with a scope? My eyes are getting older and I just can’t shoot iron sights very well any more.:tsk:

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
    George S. Patton

9. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Huntinguy...have a look at this...I don't know whether its good for the gun, but there's a clue in the reading.

http://www.targetsports.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=32_243&products_id=1502

Have you chronoed the gun in it's present condition, if not it would be a good idea to check.

If you shoot at the same target 10 times at 10 metres what is your grouping ??

Without altering anything and still aiming at the centre, shoot another ten at a target at 15 metres... what is the position of the group on the target now and how good is the group??

Repeat at 20 metres and same questions.

It would be better done 1 metre intervals but gets tedious.

10. huntinguy

huntinguy Member

I heard about the Theoben Gas Ram a few years back. There used to be a shop around here that carried them but it went away. I never heard how they held up. Are they quiter than springs? do they leak? I have read recently that they are not going to be imported into the States or will be hard to get. Don't know if that is true. Also, If I remember correctly they are a faster spring. Should I shoot a heavier pellet? or change to a .20 cal. barrel?

Sorry for all the questions but I mostly shoot powder guns and am just getting back into air rifles. So much has changed in the last 10 years over here in the air rifle world.

11. Buzz

Buzz Banned

I'm by no means an expert, but it sounds to me like your rifle is seriously low on power. I've never used the gas spring, but there are some here that have I believe, but if you believe the advert they last longer than springs without loosing power. They can also be left cocked for long periods without damaging them, unlike springs.
    If you want a more powerful gun, then you really need to get one designed that way or the recoil will go up too and then your results will be worse than before.
    I used a titan XS no 8 spring in my rifle and it went from well below 12 up to 18ft/lbs. I had to trim it back to 12, but you wouldn't have to. It didn't feel too bad in use, but I don't know how long the gun would last bein g so much above what it was designed for.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  12. huntinguy

huntinguy Member

I don't think it is a power issue. I forgot to mention in my reply - if I use open sights the point of impact really doesn't change. Last time I played with my kids we were shooting tumms (anti acid tablets) between 8 and 15 yards or so, no sight change (open sights) and they would "disapear." I would keep with open sights but I keep getting older.

I now have some very good leads. Thank you all.

13. Buzz

Buzz Banned

What I'm gonna say now sort of contradicts itself, but it's something to think about. The iron sights are both on the barrell, so if the barrell doesn't lock in exactly the same place each time it doesn't make any difference bcause the sights are still pointing in line with the barrell. If the same thing happens, even by a very small amount when using a scope, the impact point will be miles off due to the scope not being mounted to the barrell but to the cylinder. Now as you say your grouping is still good using the scope kinda throws this theory out, but might be something to look at.
    The other question is "Do you have to re-focus between 10 and 15 metres" ?? If yes, could the focus ring be affecting the optics.
    10" difference between 10 and 15 metres is just too much for something not to be radically wrong.
    Can you borrow another scope ??
    Can you put your scope on another rifle ??
    Have you considered "LASIC eye surgery" ?? LOL

Come on guys...help the old guy out here !!! (and I mean ME)

14. topcat

topcat Post Whore

gasbags

keep away from gas rams they are rubbish

15. huntinguy

huntinguy Member

I remember when 40 was old. I think…. :confused: