1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

uprating weihrauch, will it work?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by manureboots, Aug 14, 2007.

1. manureboots

manureboots Newbie

hello!
    i would really appreciate some advice on whether it is worthwhile having my rifle uprated,
    we shoot rabbit, driving round fields at gentle speed in a discovery, and can easily during a 2/3 hour period shoot between 20 to 70 rabbits, but its annoying that the older wily rabbits are "stepping in" to the hedge before i can get close enough to kill them, if i had more range i could hit so many more!1, one field i shoot has upto 500 rabbits in its 8 acres!!!
    but they are just too far away,
    do i just forget the air rifle (spring type weirauch 22), and buy a rimfire 177 rifle or do i get the licence and uprate my current rifle, moneys very tight at present and i cant afford the more expensive route!!
    best wishes and good shootin!:)

2. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

dont ditch the weirauch get out of the land rover and use some
    fieldcraft and stalk the rabbits, you"ll be surprised how many you will
    get;)

3. Buzz

Buzz Banned

First get the Fire Arms Certificate...then you can do what ever you can afford at the time.
    I fitted a Titan XS spring to my Edgar Brothers model 60 rifle and it went up to very nearly 18ft/lbs...I have reduced it back to legal now by shortening the spring, but I did like the power it had.

4. Murphy

Murphy Well-Known Member

Weihrauch. :D

5. AA Anonymous

AA Anonymous Well-Known Member

Hi Manureboots i put a big spring in a hw80 before and pushed the power up to 19ft/lbs but the slam from the piston gave it such a big recoil i found it hard to hit anything with it. If you set it up using a rest to shoot it was useless freehand and the same the other way around. And after about 1000 shots the scope fell apart due to the slam from the piston. look around the internet there are ways to tune it and keep the recoil down making the gun more user friendly.

6. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Member

Spot on. But if you do want to extend your range, then anything past 40 yds should be FAC air or rimfire (license and FLO permitting).

I have a 2 Weihrauch HW100s (one T and one Carbine) and they bowl rabbits over up to 40 yds with no problems. I'm looking at rimfire for the rabbits that see me coming down the hill without cover. They are 70 yds+ and must be taken with rimfire.

If you tweak the Weihrauch, without a LazerGlide or similar tune, you'll miss the barn door in front of you!

7. custom100

custom100 Well-Known Member

imo the info above is toss..........a sub 12ft/lb air rifle WILL dispatch rabbits at 60 yds no problem.....however i have read all of the posts on this subject and i agree with elmer on some of his points.......shooting over the longer ranges more rabbits will escape wounded than that are killed out right...but this is down to the shooter and not the rifles........i shoot out to 60 yds for rabbits ,but i also practice on a 60 yd range at least 3 times a week.... but as i said at the start this is only my opinion

8. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Member

Actually a close to 12 ft lb rifle will hold enough energy to despatch rabbits at 100 yds, but with wind and drop, the chances of even an expert making a clean kill are very, very remote. The poster is obviously new to hunting, so why the advice for 60 yd shots?
    Holdover of 1.5 ft for 70yds in .22, is that a reasonable shooting range?