1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

uprated springs

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by y2kfireblade, Aug 4, 2007.

1. y2kfireblade

y2kfireblade Active Member

where can i get them?

2. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

uprate what to what??

3. y2kfireblade

stronger spring for more power?

4. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

of course you can , but im sure the work will have to be carried out by
    a firearms dealer, plus you will have a lot more recoil.

5. y2kfireblade

where do i get them then?

6. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Hi everybody, I'm new here...first post, so please excuse me if I'm asking dumb questions.

I have an Edgar Brothers Model 60 and want to swap to an Ox main spring...does anyone know which one fits ?? I want to keep it legal..but only just.

7. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

hi buzz, i would nt bother with an ox spring (there crap)
    give tony at sandwell fieldsports a ring he will put you on the right track;)

8. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Thanks Rockabilly, I'll do that.

9. Mick Dundee

Mick Dundee Engaging Member

Tune ups.

Steve at V-Mach will advise. One of his kits will vastly improve any gun. Not necessary to have stronger spring. Look before you leap.

10. Buzz

Buzz Banned

OK guys..as usual, had to do something and my local gunshop stocks Titan springs. SO.....I bought an XS number 8 and fitted it. It's exacty the same o/d and length but the wire diameter is 0.002" more.
    It made the gun feel much more crisp and I was delighted with it....that is until I got my Combro 625 today.....17.29ft/lbs.....730ft/sec !!!

So I guess it's coming out.:mad::mad:

I've just cleaned the barrel and tested my non-lubed H&N Field Target Trophy pellets, 14.66 grains....17.9ft/lb....743ft/sec, so it's got to come out before I get locked up!!!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  11. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

Was it just the spring you fitted or did you put preload washers in as well, seems a big jump from 12 to 17.

12. Buzz

Buzz Banned

That was just the spring Andy ...a Titan XS number 8. It does say on the packet that it may take the gun over the limit, but I never expected by that amount. The free length of both the old and new spring are identical...300mm, the o/d's are the same...20mm, just the .002" bigger on wire diameter. There were no preload spacers in the original and none now. The reason I got the chronograph today was the power was obviously far greater than with the old spring, so I thought I needed confirmation. When we were shooting in our back garden, I had a 3/4" chipboard backing for the targets and the pellets just went through the paper target and lodged in the chipboard at 20 yards range...now at the same range, the pellets go through the target and straight through the board, coming out the other side with still enough energy to go another 2 yards and lodge in the wooden fence.
    I obviously need to reduce the power...though I like it the way it is...so I'll have to see if I can take the plug at the butt end of the spring and turn it down in length a bit so the spring doesn't compress as much. I think I might be able to get about 1/8" but I'll do it slowly...1/32" at a time.

13. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Just a quick update...I've had to remove 30mm from the length of the spring, so now there is just about 10mm worth of preload. I can actually re-assemble it without any clamp..just hand pressure.

I've put about 30 pellets through the gun and am getting between 11.3 and 11.4ft/lbs shown on the Chronograph, so it seems pretty consistant. I'll leave it like this for a while, but I'll make a few shims of .010" stainless so I can add preload very gradually to tune it up towards the 12ft/lb mark.

So to re-cap.
    Edgar Brothers model 60.
    Titan XS number 8 spring
    Reduce length to 270mm
    H&N Field Target Trophy...non lubed
    11.3 to 11.4ft/lbs
    590 ft/sec