1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Under power gun or bullet proof rabbits

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by henricho, May 11, 2012.

1. henricho

henricho Engaging Member

Hi guys

I was out this evening in the fields after some pesky rabbits, just got my new range finder so was pretty excited to try it out., Well first rabbit 40 yards took the shot heard the crack of it hitting home but the rabbit didn't go down he ran in a tight circle then his mate next to him ran for cover which he followed. So i though maybe a gust of wind maybe i fluffed the shot anyway i feel very bad for the rabbit as i know it took a pellet to the head.

Next rabbit i manage to get to exactly 35yards which is my zero took the shot and again loud crack but the rabbit did the same thing spun around then found its way back into the hedge.

My question is do you think i just fluffed the shots and hit the poor things not in the kill zone, or could the gun be under powered, are some rabbits just super rabbits?

I have shot many rabbits before successfully. I checked my zero before i went out.

Hopefully i can find somewhere to get the gun chrono'd tomo. But would like to see what you guys think.

Sorry rabbits (i feel bad)

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  2. ANGOF

ANGOF Post Whore

If they run around in circles it tends to be that they have been hit in front of the eye around the nose area. Not a fatal shot but im sure they must die pretty quick.I know its a horrible thing when they do it but it happens to everyone now and again. If it happens again and you reload quickly you should be able to get a second shot in.

3. Ronnieman

Ronnieman Engaging Member

I agree... Get that 2nd shot in ASAP!

4. henricho

henricho Engaging Member

Yeh well i tried but the poor thing never stopped for me to be able too. Im sure the gun hasn't lost any power i must have just miss judge the wind now i think back. But just to be safe im going to run the gun into to the shop tomo and test it as i don't have a chrono yet really need to get one.

This has just bashed the old confidence a bit having it happen twice in a row.

5. Ronnieman

Ronnieman Engaging Member

Chin up mate! Makes you a better shooter(not complacent)...
    Chrono it for peace of mind! :)

6. ANGOF

ANGOF Post Whore

yeah was prob the wind. Hopefully wont happen again for a long while and cronoing the rifle will give you peace of mind. I always have a few 1" chalk targets in a tube in my pocket so i can check for wind holdover. a great confidence booster. PM me your address and i`ll post you a dozen so you can try them :)

7. Dead eye kai

Dead eye kai Busy Member

It happens to the best of us mate. Chrono the rifle for peace of mind and get out there and shoot some more.

8. mick 1986

mick 1986 Keyboard Hero

Check zero with a few targets and the range finder mate, it could be the scope has moved slightly.

9. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

A handy thing to do is when you know your gun is running at the right power, zero it, then shoot a target at 50 yards. Measure the drop at 50 yards.
    If you ever suspect your gun has dropped in power and you don't have your chrono just shoot a target and measure the drop. If your gun is down on power it will drop more at 50 yards. Cheers Andy

10. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

its happend to me a few times managed to get a second shot into 2 of them and lost 1...its a shame but it happens .....it does make you a better shot though .....it makes you think about the shot more and you will make sure of it next time ....dont beat yourself up over it it happens mate atb

11. Joe9

Joe9 Active Member

this happened to me today, as im new to this i wasnt sure to make of it. I hit a rabbit at 20 meters my current zero, it hit home then the rabbit went mental, jumping a flipping and rolling, after 2 or 3 seconds is stopped still dead. On inspection i saw that my pellet (RWS Super H-Point) had entered under its eye, continued through, came through the back and through its ear. is over penetration to blame for this? i didnt expect H-Points to over penetrate!
    thanks

12. henricho

henricho Engaging Member

If it was a young one they can be twitchers.