1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Under Lever Opinions!

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Husky-loves-to-run, Mar 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Husky-loves-to-run

Husky-loves-to-run Busy Member

Okay guys, I’ve had a few break barrels, I own a few PCPs, but my next mission is to save like hell and get me an under lever. Tried a TX-200 out at the club the other night and it’s great but, I’ve fallen a little bit in love with an AA Prosport, or if I can’t get that then a Hw97. So, all of the experienced people, what’s your view on ease of maintenance, common issues, etc if I may? Prosport, Hw97..... go!

Jay Butts and littleJon365 like this.
  2. Husky-loves-to-run

Stuck on duty with my buggered ankle and not a lot better to do than look at air rifle reviews....... it’s a trap!!!

TehRed, Blue BSA, Jay Butts and 2 others like this.
  3. Rattymcrattyface

Rattymcrattyface hurrr duurrrr

One of each is the only sane answer, Husky. :rtfm::D:D

4. Husky-loves-to-run

Mate I am looking at S/H ones from my club as I simply can’t afford new. But something about the lines and feel of the Prosport just clicked with me, the Hw97 is cheaper and seems to perform great, it’s also newer. Figured there’s just too much experience in these matters in here not to ask.

Rattymcrattyface likes this.
  5. DJP

DJP Posting Addict

Had 'em all... Multiple times!

Now only have the 97.

Prosport - Best looking rifle ever
    TX200 - More comfortable to use than the Prosport
    HW97K - Not as smooth out of the box as the others but better trigger than either

My take: Throw a Tinbum kit into a 97 and enjoy!

6. Brother Caleb

Brother Caleb You have been judged and found unworthy!

Prosport = Top Rifle nothing to fault it really, some don't like the cocking arm but it does its job.
    TX = Top Rifle, prefer the Prosport but that might change when I get my re-blacked steel work back.
    97 = Some German thing with all sorts of lugs and stuff if you want to strip it.

My Take: Get one of the Brit's, better looking and easier to play with.

Husky-loves-to-run likes this.
  7. Treecreeper

Treecreeper Based

Hw 97 gets my vote. The TX is the best looker to my eyes but there's a couple of boring things I don't like about it, including the bear trap clicking & clattering like it does. You'll probably be happy with any of the 3 though. As long as you go for the mans calibre, 177 :thumb:

dancza likes this.
  8. Kadushu

Kadushu Engaging Member

The Prosport is the best springer I've ever had out the box.
    BUT
    A tuned 97k just beats it IMO.
    Never tried a TX.

9. hairyarms

hairyarms .

There aren't any lugs on a 97, the back block screws in. A TX is easier to take apart it's just one screw and a circlip on the cocking arm though. I would go for a 97k mate.

10. stew87

stew87 Certified

You can't go wrong with any of them, if your buying 2nd hand you won't lose to much if it turns out you don't like that one, in my opinion the prosport is the best looking and easy to strip, the TX is also a very nice looking rifle and very easy to strip and slightly easier to shoot than a pro sport being less hold sensitive, the 97 shoots very well and the trigger once set up is sublime it isn't as easy to strip but still doesn't take long.

I have owned all 3 and now I shoot a TX :thumb:

11. littleJon365

littleJon365 Democracy unless they disagree

They are all decent and any of them will be good enough. I’ve owned all of them and all in .22

The pro sport is a good looking rifle, best of the three and shoots well. Easy to strip and play with.

TX (HC) is also a decent looking rifle, prefer the older models but the stock in a Mk3 looks the best for me. Another easy rifle to strip and play with. Another accurate rifle

97 - not the best looking of the bunch but right up there with everything else. They are easy to strip, takes a few seconds more than an AA, there’s nothing to it.

Personally I’d have a 97 or a TX HC but there really is nothing between them all. I’d be happy with any of them. I still own a pro sport and a 97.

Get a set of guides from TBT, WW etc, bring the power down to mid 10’s and you will have a really decent springer on your hands. Very easy to make into a cracking rifle. If you get stuck doing anything to one post it up here and you’ll get more than enough help.

Good luck

12. rich79

rich79 No deep or funny comment here

They way they feel & balance is a personal opinion, what suits one won't another, so unfortunately nobody can help you there.
    I own a TX & a 97k, both great guns but they don't stop me wanting a PS, I will eventually get one, if you're anything like me I'd get the PS as it won't go away even if you buy a 97!

13. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

I cant take issue with this post. I have had them all. The only one i now DONT have is the pro sport. Didnt like at all.

14. Wofty

Wofty 'This is the way'

I'd just get the one that felt the best and looked the best to me.
    I really quite fancy a TX and might swap my 97 for one. The 97 feels rather clinical to me.
    Pro-sports look ace but I'd have to fit a longer barrel. It looks like a classic hunter with its barrel hacked off the poor thing!

15. Wofty

Wofty 'This is the way'

I forgot.
    Don't rule out the Diana underlevers if you want something a bit different.
    My K98 (action also in normal form, 430 or summat) is my current fave springer.
    It's got more character than my 97 for sure.

dancza likes this.
  16. Vangard

Vangard Busy Member

The pro sport is very pleasing on the eye but the one I had was also very hold sensitive as well.
    The TX I had was better to shoot than my pro sport (so why did I trade it in for the pro sport) but the bear trap is annoying.
    The 97 I have is just a great all round riffle, IMO you can't go wrong with a 97 (in .22) mines a keeper.

17. rlancast

rlancast Engaging Member

Have both, home tuned. Love them both. The PS is pure class and the engineering is top notch, just cocking it is a pleasure to hear the solid clunk as it engages. Accuracy about the same excellent. Doubt if I will ever sell either of them

Andy_J and Husky-loves-to-run like this.
  18. rellum

rellum Keyboard Hero

TX all the way for me I own 3 plus an original Bam 40 that’s fitted with a Shauny kit that was destined for one of my old TXs it now shoots absolutely superb with his kit all of these are .22 Prosport I have never owned one so cannot comment I’ve just bought a Mk3 TX .177 off here but won’t see it for another 4 months as I’m away I quite fancy an Hw97k in .177

19. rangelandrob

rangelandrob Busy Member

All them are great. But! The Pro sport has an unpleasant cocking lever, The TX has an awkward loading port and the bear trap clacking is annoying. The 97 is the worst to shoot out of the box.
    The TX and Pro sport are the best looking although the laminate or nickel 97's are very nice.
    Having said all the above a sorted 97 is the best of the 3. A .22 will be the nicest to shoot (softest) so you have to decide what you want to use it for to select the caliber.

20. Gunfun

Gunfun Engaging Member

I fell in love with the looks of the Air Arms Pro-sport and brought one 5 years ago, to me, it is as beautiful to shoot as it is to look at.

I haven't owned any other underlever so I have nothing to compare it to on a long term basis, also I've never stripped a springer so have no experience of what the Pro-sports internals are like, all I know is it worked flat out of the box and hasn't stopped since.

The only thing I've found to enhance the shooting experience of the Pro-sport is fitting a very lightweight scope and a walnut stock reduces overall weight, and helps with the balance and reduces what little muzzle flip there is.