1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Under £100 springer pistol for my grandson?

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by Dag, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

My grandson, a big lad of 21, likes my ZVP ( before it packed up) and I'd like to buy him a .177 springer pistol, accurate for say 10-15yds plus if possible and with hopefully the potential for fitting a scope or red dot device .
    I've got a max of £100 and would love to hear any suggestions from members who can recommend such a beast. I definitely do not want a PCP or CO2 gun it must be a springer.
    I know it's not a massive budget but I could stretch it to about £130. Any thoughts chaps?
    Dag

2. JLB

JLB Busy Member

You should be able to pick up a nice second hand HW45 for that money. Not many other spring powered pistols about that will be as good if any.The BSA 240 magnum is also a nice gun but a bit 'marmite' for most, though I myself prefer it over the 45.

John:)

3. JD

JD Donator

For the money your looking to spend, a secondhand Webley pistol would be a good choice.

You don't see many Hw45's for around £130.

4. UrbanFox

UrbanFox Well-Known Member

See if you can find a Gamo Center, they go for around £80 and are a good comp springer with not a lot of flip for a springer.
    Also easy to cock.

PS, A good trigger too.
    atb
    Bri

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  5. TOXICMONKEY

TOXICMONKEY Engaging Member

I have 2 pistols that I would be willing to sell either

Rare BSA 240 magnum .22 £130 fantastic condition
    webley tempest .22 £100 good condition

would have to do F2F as I have been burnt in the past, willing to meet half way as only in Wiltshire

Attached Files:

6. UrbanFox

UrbanFox Well-Known Member

Forgot to say, if you Intend having a go at 10 & 6 mtr target comps, stick to .177

atb
    Bri

7. droid

droid Posting Addict

Just sent you a PM, I may be able to help.

8. chris l

chris l Engaging Member

I would go for a Webley Tempest, used.

I really can't speak highly enough of mine, which I bought in the late '80's!

Takes some cocking, but once you have the knack...

a dot of lume paint each side of the rear sight and on the back of the front sight and you have a set of three dot sights.

If you must have a red dot, the Hurricane will do that...

You can get wood grips if you want to spoil him.

He's a lucky lad.

9. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

Thanks for that suggestion Chris. One problem I find with many of the pistols around is that they seem to have such a low power level. I can understand with rifles that being 1or 1.5 ftlb below the legal limit is quite acceptable but so many pistols seem to be around 3ftlb which is half the legal limit. I guess there must be a good reason why, perhaps recoil?
    Dag

10. splat

splat Donator

have a look at the webley typhoon .177, about £70/80 new.

11. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Some have weak internals because they are made to a much lower price than rifles and it's hard getting so much power into a very small space,a HW45 is pretty powerful but why do you want spring? SSP's are just as accurate as PCPs with no recoil and are self sufficient.

12. Beachcomber

Beachcomber Donator

I was thinking a SSP as well - like a Beeman P3 or P17. They are up there power wise, no recoil and no CO2 - only £70 new so you'll get a red dot sight as well and still come in under £100.00

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  13. mattyts

mattyts Donator

My P17 clocked in at around 1.75 ft lbs but the accuracy was on par with my target rifle at 10-15 yards when I had a Hawke red dot on it.

The whole package with pistol,case and scope came in at £98 ish.

14. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

Some excellent suggestions from Splat,Beachcomber and Matty. I have to confess I didn't know about SSP's until you prompted me to Gurgle and Search for info. I've just watched a video showing a guy shooting the P17 at 10m and I thought he'd not fired the gun until I realised there really is no recoil! Shame they aren't as cheap as the States ($40!)
    i still quite like the idea of the Webleys but will have a further read up of reviews.
    Is the Beeman well made? I only ask as the price in the States is very low.
    Do the Webleys have a kick?
    Does the Beeman really have such a low power level , that seems very low?
    Sorry for all the questions but I think your replies have been a great help.
    Many thanks
    Dag

15. Beachcomber

Beachcomber Donator

:eek:
    Surprised the pellet made it out of the barrel!
    They are supposed to give out 410fps

16. mattyts

mattyts Donator

The beemans are well made,there is a known flaw in the air intake port but you can fix that with a bit of wire wool,it's nothing to worry about.

It's a chinese copy of the HW40,a well made unit and the accuracy is fantastic,it's a 10 meter target style pistol so power is not an issue and thats why they seem low but honestly,it does not matter.

I would have one over a sub £150 springer any day of the week as they are easier to cock,recoiless and more accurate.

Heres a pic of a target at 12 yard of my P17,the inner circle is around 1 inch and there is 7 shots.

View attachment 93154

17. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Sorry,double checked this and my Beeman P17 gives 2.3 FPE and the HW40 gives on average 2.4 FPE

18. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

The P17 is a fantastic little pistol, and the accuracy surprised me for the price! I got mine for £45 from a hobby shop in Keswick, and it's the newer model with tru-glo fibre optic sights.

I've had mine apart to check for the air intake port fault, but mine was already fine so if you get a recent version, it looks like quality issues have been addressed.

19. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

I take your point about accuracy v power. Looking at Chairgun a RWS Superdome at 410 fps will still be doing 320 fps at 20yds and the POI has only dropped about 0.6 inch. If it is that recoiless and accurate do I really need more? The replies here have been an eye opener!
    Now, where can I get a P17 for £45!!!
    thanks
    Dag

20. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!