1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Umarex Ux Sa-10 Review

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by twodoctors, Nov 21, 2020 at 1:15 AM.

1. twodoctors

twodoctors Engaging Member

Hi all,

Here's a quick review of my new Umarex UX SA-10.

A bit of background about myself. I used shoot air pistol (for fun) and used to own a HW45, Beeman P17, CP-1 and a Umarex Desert Eagle. That was 5 years ago. I've since moved on to compete in Gallery Rifle matches with my Long Barrel Pistols in the form of Browning Buckmark and 1911, and more recently an Alfa Revolver. Hopefully this review will help other fellow FAC shooter out there contemplating getting an air pistol, or even a SA-10, during lockdown. There are quite a few reviews out there already, but this is one from a pistol shooter perspective.

Here are some pictures of my SA-10:

IMG_20201121_000628.jpg
    InkedIMG_20201121_000654_LI.jpg

I deliberately have not gone for a replica pistol. I'm not that fuss about how it looks, as long as it shoot straight from a fair distance and can be used for competition. What I was also looking for is something that I can use (as a club instructor) for training my club members with (due to UK Firearm Law, one can only handle pistol that is already registered on one's FAC ie I can't touch their pistol and they can't touch mine). The most realistic pistol out there in terms of mechanism is probably the Remington 1911. However being a BB shooter, the risk of ricochet is real and is not suitable for indoor range at my club. I needed a pellet shooter. This one fits the bill because it handles fairly close to a self-loading handgun, albeit without the slide lock open on last shot. It does expose the breech end of the barrel when unloaded, which forms part of the safety check for making a pistol safe. This is a big tick for me.

IMG_20201121_000710.jpg

It is also supposed to be fairly accurate for a blowback CO2 gun. I haven't shot mine yet, and I will update the review when I have.

Unlike some of the other Umarex and ASG pistols, this one has a magazine that slides out just like a real thing. With the CO2 integrated to the mag, the pistol is safe once the mag is out. Another big tick.
    IMG_20201121_001500.jpg
    IMG_20201121_001508.jpg

So what is it like to shoot? Well I haven't actually shot it yet! I will post some results when I have.

The biggest reason I want to give a big shout out about this pistol is the trigger. This is the most important part of my review, and something that is not really discussed in detailed in any of the other reviews I've seen so far. Everyone says it has a nice trigger. But what does that mean?

A good trigger should be fairly light (but not too light that will compromise safety), have a fairly short travel (especially for smaller hand like mine), and a clean 2nd stage / break. A crap spongy trigger with an spongy break will not help with accuracy.

Unfortunately for air pistol shooter, ALL semi-auto pistol will have a long pull. This is because the mag, be it an internal rotary mag like most of the pellet air pistol have, or a revolver in double action, will need to be indexed by the trigger pull. I have not seen a pellet pistol that doesn't have that. If you know of one, let me know.

This pistol is no different. A very long trigger pull to index the next round.

This is where the difference between this and my old Umarex Desert Eagle ends. After the indexing, there is a light "1st" stage that, once you get used to the trigger, you gently get yourself to the "wall". The 2nd stage or the "break" is fairly light, fairly snappy, and with no overtravel. For a £135 air pistol, I'm very pleased with it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1imc2xPrhCMRzOdHENOcoifQELYGjGIKw/view?usp=sharing

Hopefully you can see the video demonstrating the indexing, 1st and 2nd stage.

Double action is heavy as expected. I don't see why one would contemplate shooting DA unless the comp you are shooting requires it. Just pull the slide for heaven sake!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kHlWkudBkYftM4LUvACUQLRLperNOvMf/view?usp=sharing

Only bought it this lunchtime. I have dry fired it (quite!) a few times. I've noticed the hammer has lost some of the paint already. Not going to affect the function, but might be important for someone out there.

IMG_20201121_001542.jpg

There is a thread at the front for a moderator. However, it is apparently an odd thread size (14mm?). Also with the barrel being so close to the sights, once you stick something on it, you won't be able to use the iron sights. Not a big deal if you already are planning on getting a mount and put a red dot on. I normally shoot with scope, but a scope will look daft on this. I shoot iron sights with my 1911 normally, and am planning on doing the same with this. The only unfortunate thing is that the sights are not adjustable. Not even for windage. Again, seeing most YouTube review, there is no issue with windage anyway. Hopefully mine will be the same.

IMG_20201121_001515.jpg

The final point I would like to make is that my gun I think is a year 2020 version (a guess based on the serial number!). In other reviews, the top slide is removable. Mine is not. I've tried, it doesn't come off. Yes, I know about the tab, it still doesn't come off. It's not in the manual, not sure if it was in the manual in the earlier iteration. In any case I don't know what purpose removing the slide will serve. Here are two photos showing the slide being about to travel slightly further back with the tab down (up). The slide just won't budge., and I'm not going to force it either!

IMG_20201121_000728.jpg
    IMG_20201121_000748.jpg

I'll update this when I have shot it.

Stay safe all!

Adrian

Musket69, Modski66, Monkeyjoe and 2 others like this.
  2. marflow

marflow Engaging Member

boy those are pricey in the UK
    here is a site in the states and it has many reviews, has questions and answers
    i have looked at them but after the Desert Eagle i bought, it taught me a lesson don't waste your time
    i do see they could be fun if you had a group of people with the same pistol and ran IPSC courses and time them and score the targets
    mag changes and the whole works
    not as good as .45 ACP but it would be fun

Umarex SA10 CO2 Pistol. Air gun | Pyramyd Air

Brock1Rgj likes this.
  3. Monkeyjoe

Monkeyjoe Busy Member

Nice review Adrian, I also did a little review on it about 18 months ago for AGW mag... I find it’s fun to shoot, but not very accurate... what I do like about it is it does feel realistic as in loading and dropping out the mag, and the blowback is pretty good, but rapid fire is not so good as it loses power pretty quick and the pellets are lucky to reach the target at 6 yds, so I give it a couple of seconds between shots.
    My slide comes off and on no problem, but as you say, no real need to do it... I get around 50 shots per co2 bulb depending on the weather and rate of fire... be interesting to see what you think after firing it a few times
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wild Bill and Musket69 like this.
  4. Missed_Again

Missed_Again Engaging Member

Yeah I'd agree with that.

Mine is great fun, the blow back has a really nice kick and feels great, but accuracy is pretty bad.

I wouldn't use it for anything but shooting tin cans etc. I've got some small spinners set up in my loft, around 6m distance and have a really hard time hitting them with this.

Makes my DW715 look like a target pistol.

Headhunter, Monkeyjoe and Modski66 like this.
  5. twodoctors

Definitely a UK thing. They are cheaper in Germany but no one will ship to UK from there.

My impression of US firearm law is that it's relatively easy to buy a gun. So I don't understand why people would buy air pistol. Would be interested to hear your view.

And no. These are no good for IPSC matches. The trigger pull is too long, and with quick fire the CO2 power will drop. Needs to be in a hot climate.

:up: saw your review online. I was interested in what people managed with accuracy and the ones that I saw looked good, which is why I took the plunge.

My 715 is shooting like a shotgun at the moment, as you have read in the other thread.

Had a quick plink just know just to get a feel.

Shot it with Excite Econ from 7m. About 1.5 inch group off hand, with a punched out hole in the centre of it. I did get some loss of power with the latter shots, with the slide not blowing back hard enough to cock the hammer. So there are some flyers in there.

Shot it at 15m offhand using RWS Club. About 2.5" group this time. Also have a loss of power on my 3rd string of 8, and have to rock the slide back each time. I thought the gas was low, after only 48 shots. Proceeded to unscrew the cannister, only to get a massive hiss and some dry ice. The cannister is not even half empty. It's just too cold in Nottingham at the moment! Might explain why my 715 is not shooting properly.

I'll post some pictures once I've done some proper test in the next few days.

Modski66 and Monkeyjoe like this.
  6. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Long time poster

Great pistols. A semi replica I suppose. I like mine but prefer the Glock 17 dual ammo's that use the same system for the magazines.

Good write up.:up:

Brock1Rgj and Monkeyjoe like this.
  7. no country members

no country members Tooled up tool

The thread will fit one end of a Nuprol Viper airsoft fake suppressor. They are cheap but really just a tube with nowt inside so I added some internals to mine to make it at least a little bit effective as a moderator. Unfortunately it obscures the sights although I'm not really sure why they bother putting sights on CO2 pistols.:D

IMG_1991.JPG IMG_1992.JPG

https://www.surplusstore.co.uk/nuprol-viper-14mm-cw-ccw-silencer.html

Modski66 likes this.
  8. td_boy

td_boy Donator

Interesting, I note however that the rapid power tail off was surprisingly not mentioned in your magazine review...

Monkeyjoe likes this.
  9. Monkeyjoe

Monkeyjoe Busy Member

Yes your right, I’d only had it about a week when I was asked to write a review after I responded to someone in the UBC forum who didn’t recommend the pistol, I responded with some positive feedback on it...I hadn’t yet tried rapid firing when I wrote the review

10. talyllyn

talyllyn Busy Member

Have a look at the price of centre fire ammo:
    https://www.munitionsexpress.com/pr...ger-p-115gr-jacketed-hollow-point-20-box.html

for the cost of 20 rounds you could shoot 500+ pellets and be able to do it in the back yard without disturbing the neighbours too much.

Monkeyjoe and Brock1Rgj like this.
  11. twodoctors

Brock1Rgj likes this.
  12. talyllyn

talyllyn Busy Member

Even .22LR cost more than pellets
    Remington Thunderbolt .22 Long Rifle (.22LR) 40gr Lead Round Nose 500/Box
    (No reviews yet) Write a Review
    $28.33 $22.60
    about £18.
    and there is still the noise and safety factor to consider.

13. twodoctors

So I finally had a chance to do some proper testing. Fairly calm day up in Nottingham today, but still rather cold so CO2 performance is a bit... lacking on occasions!

My homemade backstop has a target centre of 150cm for my standing matches that I shoot. Rested was difficult but somehow managed it using a tall ladder! First up is using Falcon Accuracy Plus from 7m. "Leaded" the barrel with 24 shots before hand.

IMG_20201123_115825.jpg

I am finding the 1st shot always shoots a bit high. The 7 o'clock one was me. A fairly decent group I thought. Not amazing, but not bad. Mind you this is iron sight, and I'm still trying to get used to it. My eyes are not what they used to be either!

Next up RWS Club, same condition.

IMG_20201123_113917.jpg

Again, 1st shot was high. Then it grouped fairly well. 1 dropped shot which I think was me also. Both would probably look better if I had a scope or red dot on it.

Moving to 15m, using RWS only. I was running out of time so didn't bother with Falcon Accuracy Plus. Also because I didn't think it will do that well as the 7m group wasn't tight enough. So 8 shots rested, using a bigger target. You can still measure the group size.

IMG_20201123_125012.jpg

If you measure the grouping vertically, it is just above 2". If you measure the group horizontally, the group size is about 1". Th vertical spread may be explained by the cold weather and the resultant drop in CO2 output. The horizontal spread may well be the gun. Both could also be me as I'm shooting iron.

Blowback was a slight issue, but this is all because of the temperature. The first shot was always high. I can easily fell the blowback power dropping by the 5th or 6th shot, sometimes earlier. This is the case even when I take my time to aim. After reloading the mag, the power returns for the first 3 shots perhaps. This increases to about 6 shots if I warm the CO2 canister with my hand during mag change. It is arguable that the grouping and blowback will improve in warmer climate.

Conclusion? I love this gun already. It has a 6" barrel, nice trigger (to me), and fairly accurate. The lack of windage adjustment is a pity, and it shoots slightly to the right as you can see on the targets. I have to consciously aim left to hit the 10 ring, and hold over at slightly longer distance. I think the gun is probably no good beyond 15m, but that's probably the case for most other CO2 pistol.

Compared with the CP88 Comp? I haven't shot that before, so I don't know! CP88 and other similar Umarex pistols don't have blowback, so all it's power can be diverted to pushing the pellet out (at greater speed). More power, potentially more stable pellet at greater distances, and more accuracy (to a degree). The lack of blowback also reduces the recoil. How important that is I don't know, but I think it does affect accuracy slightly. The blowback action push the muzzle upwards at the same time as the the pellet trying to leave the barrel.

Would I recommend this over a non-blowback pistol? Again, you'll have to decide for yourself. If blowback ("realism") is important to you, and you are not bothered about your pistol being a replica, this is a great pistol at a much lower price. If accuracy is more important however, then go for one of the many non-blowback options (but at higher price). Or get a SW 586/686! This pistol is accurate for the money, but for maximum accuracy, you will need to look elsewhere.

I paid £135 for mine. I think it's worth the money.

Happy to answer questions or discuss another points I've raised.

:thumb:

Adrian

Modski66 and JKR like this.