1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

tyroleon stocks?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by martin22, Sep 6, 2014.

1. martin22

martin22 Donator

anyone useing them and how you getting on with it? been doing a lot of looking into one lately but from what i can gather there marmite,you either love em or hate em?
    i know they were designed for open sights primarily but ive read one or two use them succesfully with scopes and rave about how good they are,i would want to use one with a 32 lense scope on low mounts (so pretty low to the barrel) but i dont know anybody with one so havnt had the chance to shoulder one
    not sure whether to take the gamble but its a fair chunk of cash if i dont get on with it
    so anyone on here useing one with a scope and any pics you could upload?
    thanks

2. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

bit of a 80's thing really, look lovely more then being good to use lol, nice old hw80 and 77 venoms etc

3. mattb

mattb Engaging Member

They work well with smaller scopes/lower mounts.Can be hard to get correct eye relief but very comfortable once you get everything set up

4. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Hada few over the years my opinion they work very well with nv units orhigh mounts they do help with a paralax issues too giving a good cheek weld believe cs stocks still do them under cs600 brand name or that was what the rapid type was and do look very very nice but do fetch daft cash at times

5. martin22

martin22 Donator

cheers fellas,agree there are some nice looking tyro stocks out there and really do fancy one just weary forking the money out without trying one first,i was up at cs stocks yesterday to pick my 500 up and yes they do still offer the 600 but he didnt have one there to try,he also said there not as popular these days as a lot of folk dont get on with them with scopes being the norm these days,in fact he said he'd only sold 2 this year
    he did say though that if your suited to one they are very comfertable to use

6. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

High mounts are a must with them that why nv untis work great with them best to try one first but now i now they do them still u got me thinking now formy pro sport i loved em on rapids and the old hws 80 / 77 ectfrom venomlooked awesome with them imo

7. landymick

landymick Very Active

As much as i like these stocks apart from finding the right scope & mounts set up where you may find them awkward is steep angle shots or prone.As the head stock alinement is so good when you change stance & the shoulder changes position the neck hence head becomes out of line basically un comfy so you adjust then the scope image is not correct & parallax raises its ugly head.
    Look good though.

8. npmair

npmair Engaging Member

Tyrolean stocks were developed for use in 10m competition shooting with diopter sights in late 50's - 60's.
    All major brands (Walther, Weihrauch, Feinwerkbau and Diana) had them as an option

View attachment 103234
    FWB 150T DeLuxe + Simmons WTC 1.5-5X20 - A favourite combination when it come to vintage airgun competitions.

View attachment 103235
    Walther LG55T & LGV T

View attachment 103236
    Weihrauch HW55T

All tyrolean stocks were made of walnut and usually featured 5 panel checkering. There were the most expensive stock options in their time.
    There were considered to offer advantage in target shooting and were banned by UIT (today's ISSF) from competitions in the early 70's.

Weihrauch continued to offer a tyrolean stock option for the HW35, 77 & 80 until late 80's

View attachment 103237
    Vintage HW77 Tyrolean stock

whereas Venon and Maccari offered their fabulus stocks to their customers

View attachment 103238
    Vintage Maccari HW80 Tyro - lost in the post thanks to Parcel Force

Custom Stocks offers the tyrolean CS600 inleted for any HW action

View attachment 103239 View attachment 103240
    CS600 for HW77/97

Although the CS600 is a nicely made stock, the cheek is too low (ref to the pics) something that in turn makes the use of scope a bit awkward.

There is no norm as to the required mount height, and considering that tyrolean stocks are not adjustable, it all depends on the bone structure of the face of the individual user.
    If it suits you, it is great and very very comfortable and, by locking your head into the exact same position every time, elimenates any parallax errors, however, one has to bear in mind that these stocks were designed for shooting only horizontally.

Personally, I love them for both practical and historical / aesthetical reasons.

Nicholas

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  9. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

loving the walther and HW55 tops :up:

10. landymick

landymick Very Active

A great selection of Tyroleans there,loving the 55T & LGV:up:

11. martin22

martin22 Donator

lovely selection of rifles there,its something ill have to have a good think about and hopefully find one i can shoulder first

12. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Why? I have standard mounts on mine and it works perfectly with the 40mm objective. A 32mm objective would sit at the same height on the fixed Rapid mounts.

Brilliant stock - could do with a bit of an R10 tulip on the forend to balance with the pistol grip cap, but that is being looked into. It has been fine like this for years. i like it, but I get on with standard ambi stocks too.

[​IMG]

13. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Just how i found it my factory tyrolene looked very diffrent to that stock though simon was a lot higher but had bigger indent on the cheek piece ile try dig outa pic if its on my photobucket got to be tne best type of factory stock on agun the tyrolene mk1 rapids

14. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

FWB did them also, for use with diopters, I had a lovely boxed universal with full set of accuracy international diopters, regret selling it.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  15. landymick

landymick Very Active

The reason you don't need high mounts on your set up is because the breach block sits high in the stock in effect like having high mounts on.The 80 & other springers have the action /scope rails almost level in the stock.

16. landymick

landymick Very Active

That stock is lush.

17. JD

JD Donator

Having seen the picture of the CS600 stock thats been posted up, its put me right off considering one, that cheek piece is way to low for scope use, but no doubt good for open sights.

18. martin22

martin22 Donator

totally agree,if i come accross a decent second hand original tyro i may consider one but otherwise i think ill play it safe and stick with a nice sporter
    ive never owned a thumbhole either but im wondering whether to break the mould and push the boat out and give one a try

19. mattb

mattb Engaging Member

As said before,everyone's different but on my venom tyrolean stocks I needed smaller scope/lower mounts but on the venom vantage stocks I need bigger scopes/higher mounts as the cheek piece on the vantage spotter stocks are higher than the Tyrolean cheek pieces

20. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

If anything tyrolean stocks make the need to use lower mounts essential inmo, think about it they were designed for use with dioptre sights, so it all depends on the stock and gun it was placed on I suppose but I would have thought mounting on the lowest possible mounts would suit tyrolean stocks more due to your cheek sitting in the groove rather than on a high cheek piece.;)

If you do need high mounts that would be enough to sway me away from them anyway as any small scope sat as close to a bore as possible is better use to me than something perched up high with means aiming off more and top heavy, but I don't think its the case, on something like a tyrolean hw77 you would be better with a 40mm scope on lows inmo.