1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Tuned hw99s .22 accuracy issues

Discussion in 'Technical' started by sithe79, May 29, 2016.

1. sithe79

sithe79 Donator

Hello All,

I've recently acquired the above rifle, pre - owned with a factory screw cut hw50 barrel(I fitted a weihrauch mod). Prior to trying it out, I checked all screws etc were tightened, the one on the underside was firm, but not tight. I tightened it, but then couldn't cock the rifle as it was fouling on the cocking linkage. I slackened it off to the point where I could cock it and was still firmly in place with no stock movement. I put a spare scope (£50 3-9x40 hawke, previously on my 95.) My first 5 shots were amazing, virtually no recoil, zeroed roughly at 10m in 3. Best trigger action on any rekord unit I've come across. I was happy as a pig in sheet. On about the 6th shot the poi dropped by about 4" down and approx 1" left. I reloaded and tried again, this time 2" down and 1" left. I checked the scope was on properly and everything was tight etc and all was fine, I removed and checked the mod for clipping (none) then refitted it and looked down the bore for anything obvious, but all was fine. I cocked it again and there was a weird graunching sound. This, it turns out was the breech block taking a lump out of the stock. I then also noticed the drift pin on the cocking arm slides out partially when the cocking action is completed, I. E. Not under spring tension. After a few more shots, some being spot on others still grouping, but at differing poi's. I gave up and went home at this point. Next time round I tried it from six metres as I wasn't sure what was happening and didn't want the pellet going wide of the back stop. I will try and attach a picture of the poi's if I can. Following this, I noticed a slight amount of play in the barrel (very slight, less than a mil. ) I have stripped and rebuilt the rifle to see if I could see anything obvious, but when I tried it again, it was the same result.
    I contacted the seller explaining the problems, and at the time, what I thought was causing it. He was great, and offered to refund the amount of the parts that I thought I needed. When I found play in the barrel, I again contacted the seller with an update, he made a very generous offer, to which I replied I would post the problem on here in the hopes of finding a solution. Any ideas what I can do? I would love to sort the rifle out, as I love it, but am all out of ideas. The limits of my knowledge have been reached and breached on this one, and I know there are many, many on here far more clued up than I View attachment 138068 . These shots are from 6m.
    Apologies for the length of the post. And also thanks to the seller for being a straight up guy.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. the67al

the67al Engaging Member

Have you tried another brand of pellet or chrono'd the gun?

3. shauny

shauny Top Poster

ive ground a few threads from stock bolts that are touching the cocking arm.can do em up tight then.
    also did you tighten the breech bolt? the one on the rh side is the lock nut,and the one on the left you tighten
    to where you want it then then do up the rh side one.this should stop any barrel play.if its still loose ,check the barrel
    detent for excessive wear. can happen if not lubed.

4. frimleypicker

frimleypicker Banned

has it been assembled with no barrel shims?

5. shauny

shauny Top Poster

also a very good point!:)

6. sithe79

sithe79 Donator

Thanks guys.
    I've tried jsb jumbos, h&n ftt and falcons accuracy, all similarly random.
    I thought about the shims, but they are both there. The movement is up and down, along the same axis as opposed to sideways, sorry I forgot to state that in my op.
    I have tightened the breech bolt so that the barrel moves with very little effort, but doesn't drop under its own weight.
    When I get back to work I will check the barrel detent. As the barrel is dated 2015 would wear occur that quickly? I think from memory it was lubed up. I'm pretty sure that I would have noticed if not.
    Thanks for your help. I will look at shortening the stock bolt too.
    Thanks,
    Simon

7. frimleypicker

frimleypicker Banned

how much does it move?,could it be that the breech seal is compressed?

8. shauny

shauny Top Poster

if the breech seal is still ok, try changing the chisel detent and spring. had a prob with a 95 and this sorted it.

9. sithe79

sithe79 Donator

Thanks, I'll have a look on Tuesday. The amount of movement is very small, less than a mil.

10. sithe79

sithe79 Donator

View attachment 138158
    Does this look worn? It does compared to my 95, however, I've never owned a 99 so I'm not sure if they are meant to be the same?
    If so I'll order one from chambers and will hopefully be up and running again.
    Thanks for your help all.
    Atb,
    Simon

11. shauny

shauny Top Poster

it does look a bit worn, if you order a new one, you may as well get the spring as well.only a few quid.
    give it a few drops of heavy oil now and then.the reason they wear quickly is lack of lube.

12. sithe79

sithe79 Donator

Cheers Shauny, I was planning on getting the spring and the retaining pin too. I will head to chambers site shortly.
    Atb,
    Simon

13. flatrajectory

flatrajectory Posting Addict

Any play is bad news for accuracy. You say its less than 1 mm, but 1mm is 40 thou........even 10 thou is unacceptable.
    Fit a new latch and spring.

Pete.

14. Dag

Dag Very Active

On both my 95 and my 99 i too have experienced sudden drop in POI. On both occasions I found the screws in the trigger guard, which of course fix the stock to the cylinder/barrel etc, had come loose I guess through vibration. I now check those screws regularly.
    I don't like to use Loctite on those screws but there are semi hardening versions which might help.
    Dag

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  15. sithe79

sithe79 Donator

Cheers Shauny, I was planning on getting the spring and the retaining pin too. I will head to chambers site shortly.
    Atb,
    Simon

16. sithe79

sithe79 Donator

All ordered, hopefully arriving tomorrow. I have the day off, so I'm hoping to fit it and try it out.
    Thanks for all the help. I'll hopefully have some good news tomorrow.
    Atb,
    Simon

17. shauny

shauny Top Poster

i use a semi perm loctite on most threads. it doesnt set too hard,just enough to stop vibrations from loosening screws/bolts.
    and can be undone by hand tools.

18. sithe79

sithe79 Donator

Sorted.....I think. 2 washers under the fore end screw, a spacer behind the trigger block and replacement breech shims, shooting beautifully. I have got the replacement catch, pin and spring, which I intend to replace, but I have no means of compressing the spring so that will have to wait until I can figure something out. Thanks for all your help. I can see now why the 99 is so popular! I had great afternoon with the 99 and the 45. Can't wait to finish work tomorrow to have another go. Shauny, how did you go about replacing the catch?
    Thanks all.
    Atb,
    Simon

19. shauny

shauny Top Poster

knock the pin out with the correct sized punch,unless you have a replacement. it also helps when replacing the pin to put a bit of a chamfer
    on the end of the pin that goes in first. bit of thick oil on the spring, insert spring,now its easier to leave the barrel connected to the gun,i just
    cock the gun,get a small punch that will go through the hole easily, then insert detent, and against a suitably strong wooden structure, ive a rather strong shed,
    just do a few practice "surges" to push the detent far enough in to enable you to get the small punch through, you will prob need all of your weight behind it.,
    or help from a mate.im around 16 stone and can manage well enough.when the punch is through the hole,you will need to pull it back so it is just below flush,so
    you can position pin,wiggle/manouver punch until you get a start on the pin.might be easier if you push while a mate stands by with the pin and a hammer.
    hope this makes some sense.also make sure your breech bolt is done up tight enough.worth putting a drop of semi perm loctite on the locking head (rh side).
    barrel doesnt want to be so loose that it falls under its own weight, but should move with very little pressure.hope this helps. atb s.addenda. keep the detent oiled.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  20. sithe79

sithe79 Donator

Thanks Shauny, I'll give that a go. Sounds like I may need a hand.

Atb,
    Simon